Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big Match Revisited ITV4 10.30am

No I totally agree, I've said it before on these threads, I think MoTD suffers because it's actually two programmes in one. I like watching the football, but I am bored shitless by all the analysis. I only ever watch it when I've recorded it so I can fast-forward through the bits between the games. The Big Match on the other hand is just football, and is all the better for it IMO.

I accept there is a place for analysis and I'm sure all the budding football managers like it, but it leaves me cold. They should have it as a separate programme and let MoTD return to its roots of being a highlights show - and the more I watch 'Big Match Revisited' the more sure I am of this.
Always watch MOTD on catch up and fast forward through the chatting :dunky:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The East Terrace was far, far worse!!!

Especially when my dad was there: 'Wilson, you're RUBBISH!'

My main reason for parting company when we got to the ground (I headed for the South Stand to give my ears a rest) and meeting up again after the game.

:lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No I totally agree, I've said it before on these threads, I think MoTD suffers because it's actually two programmes in one. I like watching the football, but I am bored shitless by all the analysis. I only ever watch it when I've recorded it so I can fast-forward through the bits between the games. The Big Match on the other hand is just football, and is all the better for it IMO.

I accept there is a place for analysis and I'm sure all the budding football managers like it, but it leaves me cold. They should have it as a separate programme and let MoTD return to its roots of being a highlights show - and the more I watch 'Big Match Revisited' the more sure I am of this.

Agree, execs today need to take a long back and see how it was done and take note in many respects. The analysis for every game is tedious, often it includes examples of play they didn’t even show! You kinda have to watch the former player experts lambasting mistakes (they all made!) to see a bit more of the game. I’m amazed the current format has gone on for so long, including post match player and manager interviews, that often add less than a cup of hot bovril to viewer enjoyment of the game. A sort of ‘other stories tonight’ news desk for 2 mins could be where this all sits, freeing up tens of minutes for more football. Or rolling around and diving for broadcasts from Selhurst.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree, execs today need to take a long back and see how it was done and take note in many respects. The analysis for every game is tedious, often it includes examples of play they didn’t even show! You kinda have to watch the former player experts lambasting mistakes (they all made!) to see a bit more of the game. I’m amazed the current format has gone on for so long, including post match player and manager interviews, that often add less than a cup of hot bovril to viewer enjoyment of the game. A sort of ‘other stories tonight’ news desk for 2 mins could be where this all sits, freeing up tens of minutes for more football. Or rolling around and diving for broadcasts from Selhurst.

Whilst I agree with the sentiments (I too fast forward) but I'm guessing most of us bemoaning are of the older generation and the current style which is prevalent across all channels, is what the younger audience enjoy.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Especially when my dad was there: 'Wilson, you're RUBBISH!'

My main reason for parting company when we got to the ground (I headed for the South Stand to give my ears a rest) and meeting up again after the game.

He was not alone. Most of the older fellas on the East would spend entire games slagging off our players. I remember one bloke in the 80s who REALLY had it in for Terry Connor.

I think it was an FA Cup match against Swansea when it was absolutely relentless - "Get off, Connor, you useless piece of ****!' 'My gran could have scored that with her legs tied together!' Etc etc etc. Until TC scored a quite brilliant last minute winner. Then a small voice pipes up - 'You see, he can do it if he tries'...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was not alone. Most of the older fellas on the East would spend entire games slagging off our players. I remember one bloke in the 80s who REALLY had it in for Terry Connor.

I think it was an FA Cup match against Swansea when it was absolutely relentless - "Get off, Connor, you useless piece of ****!' 'My gran could have scored that with her legs tied together!' Etc etc etc. Until TC scored a quite brilliant last minute winner. Then a small voice pipes up - 'You see, he can do it if he tries'...

I salute that small voice :bowdown:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Can totally relate to this. In my early Goldstone days I stood on the North West terrace and bloke behind me was constantly berating Clive Walker even when he was having a good game. That and the happy clapper behind me who was occasionally prone to spitting when over celebrating. In his defence he was in his late teens and I think had a mild learning disability. Loved the view but ultimately I moved to the North stand and loved the buzz.

I think it was an FA Cup match against Swansea when it was absolutely relentless - "Get off, Connor, you useless piece of ****!' 'My gran could have scored that with her legs tied together!' Etc etc etc. Until TC scored a quite brilliant last minute winner. Then a small voice pipes up - 'You see, he can do it if he tries'...[/QUOTE]

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can totally relate to this. In my early Goldstone days I stood on the North West terrace and bloke behind me was constantly berating Clive Walker even when he was having a good game. That and the happy clapper behind me who was occasionally prone to spitting when over celebrating. In his defence he was in his late teens and I think had a mild learning disability. Loved the view but ultimately I moved to the North stand and loved the buzz.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I moved to the North too. Couldn't stand the East Terrace moaners anymore!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Stains v BHA from 1980 today, anyone on here present?

bha.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here