Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Big fire at Blatchington Mill school

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My parents tried to get me in there 1978 when I moved to Secondary. I presume the thinking was that it would still retain elements of the Grammar even though it was on in its way to becoming a Comprehensive. Anyway, we were out of the catchment area so it didn’t happen. Very different to now when it doesn’t seem to matter where you live for choice of school.
I was the last year of entry into Hove Grammar in 1977. They abolished the 11+ after that. Although we became Blatchington mill in 1979, we kept our all boys class and pretty much the same teachers through to O levels and me leaving in 1982. Then went to BHASVIC - as it had no 6th form.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I left in 72 as well. Jack Liddell was pretty brutal but he got results. I had no idea about maths but somehow got a decent O Level.

On the subject of the mural, I recognised Tabrett, Ned Land and Poxy Baxter but the others were probably from the 50s or early 60s?
Yes, Liddell was a good teacher, I only had him for one year.
I had both Ned and Poxy as A level teachers and they were great in small classes - very different from their persona around the school.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I was the last year of entry into Hove Grammar in 1977. They abolished the 11+ after that. Although we became Blatchington mill in 1979, we kept our all boys class and pretty much the same teachers through to O levels and me leaving in 1982. Then went to BHASVIC - as it had no 6th form.
Blatchington Mill definitely did have a 6th form then, either that or I just imagined those 2 years!

Troubling incident but entertaining thread

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, I've learned something. I thought that Hove Park school was the old Hove GS, so I got that completely wrong.

Coming from Moulsecomb, that side of the city was always a bit weird to me

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Well, I've learned something. I thought that Hove Park school was the old Hove GS, so I got that completely wrong.

Coming from Moulsecomb, that side of the city was always a bit weird to me
Blatchington Mill was formed from a merge of HCGSB, Neville and Hove Park.

I assume it worked in the end, but the first couple of years were complete shambles and totally chaotic. I was in my last year when the merger happened and we tried to ignore the whole mess insofar as it was possible, but the lower years had a lot to put up with. My younger brother was particularly contemptuous of it.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Blatchington Mill was formed from a merge of HCGSB, Neville and Hove Park.

I assume it worked in the end, but the first couple of years were complete shambles and totally chaotic. I was in my last year when the merger happened and we tried to ignore the whole mess insofar as it was possible, but the lower years had a lot to put up with. My younger brother was particularly contemptuous of it.
I recalled B Mill was a merger of HCGSB, the Nevill and the Knoll. I was there during the chaotic years.

Hove Park was the old Grammar school for girls, not sure if it merged with anyone or not but assume it must have done. I used to play tennis there on the grass courts, I imagine they have long since gone!

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I left in 72 as well. Jack Liddell was pretty brutal but he got results. I had no idea about maths but somehow got a decent O Level.

On the subject of the mural, I recognised Tabrett, Ned Land and Poxy Baxter but the others were probably from the 50s or early 60s?
So that's 3 of us who are the 1972 vintage year. Of course we all know who Not Andy is, but who can raymondo be......:unsure:..........I had Poxy for A level math but never had Ned.....

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
So that's 3 of us who are the 1972 vintage year. Of course we all know who Not Andy is, but who can raymondo be......:unsure:..........I had Poxy for A level math but never had Ned.....
OK, now you made me check my A level dates...I left school in Summer 1973, so I was a year after you. Did you play in the football team? (that always jogs the memory). And, I don't know who 'Not Andy...' is 😂.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah yes, the days of the cane and the slipper. I was at Hove Grammar until about '72. I escaped it myself but there was caning from time to time, plus lifting boys onto their tip toes by their sideboards...I don't mean the furniture - that was a specialty of the maths teacher Jack Liddell. Worst I got (I was a 'good' pupil) was a large piece of chalk from a teacher that smacked me on the Adam's Apple ...not nice.
There was a twat who taught RI (religious instruction - pompous old bollocks more like) who threw chalk. Can't remember his name. Jack was a notorious prick who, fortunately, didn't teach me. Thomas and Bennett taught me maths. Prick, and lazy bastard, respectively.

One amusing recollection - one lunchtime, one of my pals opened a window of the music hut (our class room - 3L probably) to shout at a smaller boy, using the voice of Poxy Baxter, "Go down to the head master's office". At that very moment, said Poxy had manifested from around the side of the hut, en route to somewhere (probably to inspect a cadaver round the back of the squash courts), black cape flailing in the wind.

"No, you go down to the headmaster's office!", he ejaculated*.

I am afraid to admit that I sniggered. The boy in question, now age 66, occasionally goes to the Amex and we meet up once a year at the Swan. I must remember to ask him how Williamson greeted him. A nice cup of tea and a Bourbon biscuit, I'll wager. Yes.

*Channelling the opening line of one of the Billy Bunter books. Seems apt.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In hindsight, I quite liked Williamson. I know a lot of former pupils had a big downer on him, but he was always fair with me - even when he caught me blatently cheating in one of his Latin tests - he just watched until I looked up, saw him watching and almost crapped myself. Lots of lines.......... never tried it again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Who is NAN? Over a decade on this forum and I've never worked it out.
If you're asking about Ned Land, he was deputy headmaster at Hove County Grammar School for boys and was a one off, as were many of the teachers. I'm just finishing my dinner but I'll be back :wink:

Sorry, I just realised you are talking about @Not Andy Naylor. When we were chatting about HGSB yesterday afternoon, he told me not to reveal anything for fear of my life, but he's one of NSC's more famous posters :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In hindsight, I quite liked Williamson. I know a lot of former pupils had a big downer on him, but he was always fair with me - even when he caught me blatently cheating in one of his Latin tests - he just watched until I looked up, saw him watching and almost crapped myself. Lots of lines.......... never tried it again.
Yes, on reflection he was alright. Ross was the Latin God, though. Brilliant teacher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here