Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big 6

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
When does a team become a BIG 6 candidate? Man City gate-crashed the group, but at what level do you become a TOP 6 team?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I suppose you have to look at what a team have achieved over the years. So Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal, these days Man C can all probably claim this title. Newcastle will push on I think. I think last season has proven there’s a couple of spots up for grabs most seasons now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle are knocking on the door :angry:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When you can buy cups and titles (Chelsea, Man City), or have been historically successful and have a large fanbase (Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal)
It's really only a big 5 at the moment, Spurs and SaudiToon don't count, but SaudiToon probably will soon. Spurs seem to have snuck in historically due to them being popular I suppose.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Most-followed clubs on Facebook...

Man United – 82m
Chelsea – 54m
Man City – 47.1m
Liverpool – 45.1m
Arsenal – 41.4m
Tottenham – 32m
-----------------
Aston Villa – 5.1m
Everton FC – 4.4m
West Ham – 3.5m
Newcastle United – 3.5m
Wolverhampton – 3m

(You can blame Champions League exposure for the gap btw - it made the big clubs into superclubs in terms of global support and clout)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When you are followed by loads of people that don't even know where the club is located.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we currently have a gap between the top 1 and the next 6.

City are currently streets ahead in terms of quality.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Do wish people would stop calling clubs the BIG 5,6 7 or whatever.

Call it for what it is: the RICHEST 6 etc.
Exactly. Money. That's why (if the club is limited to 6) Spurs aren't in.

I think it ultimately boils down to the clubs that couldn't get relegated however hard they tried, because they have players so good that no manager could be so incompetent as to get them into the bottom 6 or so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do wish people would stop calling clubs the BIG 5,6 7 or whatever.

Call it for what it is: the RICHEST 6 etc.

7 these days, but imho now split into 2 groups.

Money no object:
Abu Dhabi
Saudis (only officially reining it in due to FFP)
ManU
Arsenal (may spend £250m-£300m this summer)
Chelsea

Two clubs who actually make a profit, zero owners money for players, spend far less than the others:
Tottenham
Liverpool

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Whoever Sky Sports decide is a big club.

There was no football before August 1992.
Fully agree with you and let's face it's simply outrageous that teams such as Luton Town are allowed to play in The EPL it's about time Sky did something about this, just so unjust that big clubs like dirty Leeds United have to compete in The Championship.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When football started in 1992 there was a Big Five: Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and ...... Everton. Man City and Chelsea weren't included among the Big Boys. (City even got relegated in 1996). Spurs have struggled a bit to keep their place, and obviously no one would count Everton as one of the Big clubs now as they've been overtaken by the (relatively) newly-minted Chelsea, Man City and now Newcastle.

So, just to prove how meritocratic football is absolutely anyone can become one of the top clubs: all you need is billions of pounds and a complete lack of morals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here