Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big 6 clubs trying to take more of the TV cake

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
and £90m for Pogba, etc. And how many million for their CL run? Of course their TV money doesn't match that of the PL, but to suggest Serie A is 'in tatters', is nonsense.
2015-16 is the last season that financial statements are available for clubs - Juventus ranked behind Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in revenue (more than £50million behind Liverpool). Roma and AC Milan were the next Italian teams - they earned about the same as West Ham. Napoli were the fourth Italian team - behind Sunderland.

More importantly - Junventus' operating revenue is less than half that of Man U, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man City and PSG.

As a whole Italian football is in dire straights financially (and football wise) - they spent way over the top for years and the chickens have come home to roost.

And yes, Monaco will sell three or four players - for about £200m - that is their model. To win their league, and reach the CL semis, whilst continuing to bring through and sell on players, year on year, is impressive stuff.

Yes Monaco won Ligue 1 this season - and got to the CL semis - they won't next season. Four years ago they were playing in Ligue 2 and when the got promoted they spent about £150million buying players (and gave out some massive contracts) to stay up. Monaco play to a half empty stadium that has a capacity of 18,000. While they might have a good scouting system and academy - in today's moneyball you cannot compete year-in year-out if you don't dominate financially - and Monaco don't.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
When will they understand that competitiveness is key to the appeal of football? It used to be possible for clubs the size of Brighton (not realised) to compete within the old division 1... I'm beginning to think the yanks have the right idea with their draft picks et al...

The yanks are right with the draft to mix things up but the league is a closed system. There's no romance involved it's just about sharing the trophy around, or trying to.

As much as NFL is 'popular' here it's all about a day out boozing rather than who actually wins.

The Big Six are frankly talking sense in a pure business relevant way but in all honesty the sooner they sod off and compete in a closed loop pan European gig the better.

Thinks will normalise without them and a new hierarchy will emerge with new power houses and whose to say it couldn't be us?

I'd certainly prefer to see an uber competitive league without the money and s*it that comes with that.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I hate football sometimes. This is one of those moments. Go on, f*** off and play in your super super rich league paying each player £100m a week and only playing other 'elite' teams from around the planet. Then wait for the squabbles to begin about how much money each club in that league gets: one of them has to finish bottom (My money's on Man City!!). Alternatively each team could televise (pay per view obviously) their bank balances live - cut out the middlemen i.e. The football. Why not just cheer along to a set of numbers going up over 90mins once a week, interwoven with live action shots of 'supporters' clubs around the world roaring 'their' clubs digits on in completion with another clubs? Japs, Chinese, Malays, Thais, Mongolians, Arabs (those allowed to watch football) and Africans would surely lap up such action fully kitted out in 'their' clubs colours and waving enthusiastically when their supporter club is featured on the ticker tape at the bottom of the televised bank balance for a whole 3 seconds.

Meanwhile the rest of us can draw up a new constitution that puts sport and competition back on the menu as opposed to just cash. And reclaim our teams from this global circus.

:bowdown:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The yanks are right with the draft to mix things up but the league is a closed system. There's no romance involved it's just about sharing the trophy around, or trying to.

More important than the draft is the salary cap - 53 players with a maximum wage bill of $167million - and, most importantly, a minimum wage based on the number of years experience.

If UEFA put in a salary cap based on a roster of 25 players at around £60million with a minimum wage of £10K a week for U-21s, £25K a week for U-25s and £35K a week for over 35s you would very quickly end the wage and transfer inflation, make the clubs financially sustainable and give every club in the PL a much better chance at competing. On top of that the FA could then ensure that much greater sums are filtered down the leagues so you don't have 30 year old full-time professionals earning £250 a week in the Conference.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
More important than the draft is the salary cap - 53 players with a maximum wage bill of $167million - and, most importantly, a minimum wage based on the number of years experience.

If UEFA put in a salary cap based on a roster of 25 players at around £60million with a minimum wage of £10K a week for U-21s, £25K a week for U-25s and £35K a week for over 35s you would very quickly end the wage and transfer inflation, make the clubs financially sustainable and give every club in the PL a much better chance at competing. On top of that the FA could then ensure that much greater sums are filtered down the leagues so you don't have 30 year old full-time professionals earning £250 a week in the Conference.

I was with you all the way up to the use of the word ROSTER. Speak ENGLISH please [emoji1303]

Joking aside I completely agree, however until such a time as UEFA/FIFA take their respective noses out of the money trough this will never happen.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I was with you all the way up to the use of the word ROSTER. Speak ENGLISH please [emoji1303]
I'm Irish - and we are the only people who can speak English properly (it has been hammered into us for centuries :thumbsup: )

Joking aside I completely agree, however until such a time as UEFA/FIFA take their respective noses out of the money trough this will never happen.

Of course it won't happen - too much money to be made at the top - and who gives a sh*t what happens to the game in the process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here