Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHA January transfer watch

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Please can you provide examples of every goal that Calderon has been directly responsible for since Bong's injury.

I do not catergorise every goal for instant recall any more I used to be a walking directory of goals and games but now just judge as the game is going or at half time and full time when recapping on that particular game. I think that generally he has been a liability and every team recently has realised and attacked us down his side. Middlesbro, Ipswich spring to mind. Wolves couldnt attack eitrher wing although DS had about 4 decent saves to make,

Make it easy for you. The answer starts with 'X' and ends with 'o' - 4 letters.

Last edited:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I am not a defeatist but we have to rely on getting results and 2 of 3 blowing up and I think the best chance is it will be Derby and Hull. I do firmly believe that CH was entranced in his idea that LR or IC could cover Bong and we have lost out as a consequence. I also believe he judged this wrong, as I have said many times.

Despite football being a game of opinions yours is frankly laughable.

If you genuinely think that CH/The Albion need to have 3 players of equal ability for every position to cover the eventuality that the other two MIGHT get injured then I don't know what to say.

And for the record the only thing I feel having Calde at LB for so long has done has hindered our attacking play. He gives his all every minute of every game he plays and has been an adequate temporary understudy.

Now onto transfer options I know without doubt that this season represents a step change in mentality and philosophy from top to bottom of this club and I will back them to the hilt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite football being a game of opinions yours is frankly laughable.

If you genuinely think that CH/The Albion need to have 3 players of equal ability for every position to cover the eventuality that the other two MIGHT get injured then I don't know what to say.

And for the record the only thing I feel having Calde at LB for so long has done has hindered our attacking play. He gives his all every minute of every game he plays and has been an adequate temporary understudy.

Now onto transfer options I know without doubt that this season represents a step change in mentality and philosophy from top to bottom of this club and I will back them to the hilt.

Nobody has ever suggesteds having 3 for any position other than keeper but we didnt have a cover for Bong. LR was a general defensive replacement as was Calderon versatile and covering a number of positions . The cover for Bong was Chicksen who CH decreeed wasnt good enough; so last summer we should have got rid and brought in a cover for Bong so we had 2 left backs not 1 good one and 1 we couldnt or wouldnt use..

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Nobody has ever suggesteds having 3 for any position other than keeper but we didnt have a cover for Bong. LR was a general defensive replacement as was Calderon versatile and covering a number of positions . The cover for Bong was Chicksen who CH decreeed wasnt good enough; so last summer we should have got rid and brought in a cover for Bong so we had 2 left backs not 1 good one and 1 we couldnt or wouldnt use..

LR was the cover. He was someone who played there in the PL. it so happened that we worked out he was also a very decent RM cover especially away from home. When LR went to LB March stepped up and was outstanding as well.
Calderon was 3rd choice and its a shame we are having to use him there but he's not the reason we are losing games. Individual errors have cost us. I would say having Calderon at left back has affected us as much going forward as he does need an extra touch.
Chicken was never really an option. He was shipped out on loan and is only back as we have 4 fit defenders.
None of that is CH fault

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

No LR WAS the cover for Bong and WAS more than good enough. Sake man.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LR was the cover. He was someone who played there in the PL. it so happened that we worked out he was also a very decent RM cover especially away from home. When LR went to LB March stepped up and was outstanding as well.
Calderon was 3rd choice and its a shame we are having to use him there but he's not the reason we are losing games. Individual errors have cost us. I would say having Calderon at left back has affected us as much going forward as he does need an extra touch.
Chicken was never really an option. He was shipped out on loan and is only back as we have 4 fit defenders.
None of that is CH fault

It was realised in the summer that CH thought Chicksen wasnt good enough so why didnt we bring in another full back even an older one as cover. When Gus was here we had to register Tarricco and play him so the left back problem isnt new.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No LR WAS the cover for Bong and WAS more than good enough. Sake man.

No he wasnt he was a versatile defender who could play many positions and if the truth was known probably brought in as cover for Bruno who has exceeded all expectations this season. He wasnt brought in as cover for Bong because he was basically a right back who had played on the left through circumstances,

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nobody has ever suggesteds having 3 for any position other than keeper but we didnt have a cover for Bong. LR was a general defensive replacement as was Calderon versatile and covering a number of positions . The cover for Bong was Chicksen

The cover for Bong (and Rosenior) was Calde. 3rd choice.

Who was player of the year last season, and Hughton must have rated or he wouldn't have given him another contract in the summer.
And he's done a decent job in the last month. Wolves, conceviably, might be his last ever game for the club given Ridgewell, Bong and Rosenior all being fit in the next 4-6 weeks. Its hard to see him breaking into the first 11 again without these injuries continuing.

Calde is no Bong or Rosenior in lots of ways given he's 35 but then you try keeping a Bong for example (or attracting one to the club) in normal circumstances never making the 18 and being 3rd choice LB. Calde was happy to do that for all sorts of reasons and we needed him.

We've lost 6 points in the last 2 games due to disallowed goals, woodwork and 2 centre back shockers that Hughton or Calde could do nothing about. Thats why we're no longer in the top 2.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No he wasnt he was a versatile defender who could play many positions and if the truth was known probably brought in as cover for Bruno who has exceeded all expectations this season. He wasnt brought in as cover for Bong because he was basically a right back who had played on the left through circumstances,

....for a PL club. In an FA Cup Final. Keep digging.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
....for a PL club. In an FA Cup Final. Keep digging.

Through needs and injuries etc not by choice My point and nobody seems to appreciate it is that he was of more use to us righjt midfield and we have dropped offs since Bong was injured and he was moved to left back irrespective of how well or otherwise he did at left back. Calderon has been all heart and no substrance and been a liability that every club has realised and attacked.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It was realised in the summer that CH thought Chicksen wasnt good enough so why didnt we bring in another full back even an older one as cover. When Gus was here we had to register Tarricco and play him so the left back problem isnt new.

We did. It was rosenier he was the cover at LB as well as RB. It turned out away from home he was also a bloody good defensive wide player. No one can predict injuries to the extent we have them. We had 2 championship quality left backs as well as a very decent back up. THe club can not have a never ending supply of left backs. We now will be using a 4th. Another with PL experience. The club has done what they can. You need to open your eyes just a bit and you may actually see it

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Through needs and injuries etc not by choice My point and nobody seems to appreciate it is that he was of more use to us righjt midfield and we have dropped offs since Bong was injured and he was moved to left back irrespective of how well or otherwise he did at left back. Calderon has been all heart and no substrance and been a liability that every club has realised and attacked.

But he had done a decent job there in those circumstances and hughton would have been well aware of his strength in that position when signing him

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We did. It was rosenier he was the cover at LB as well as RB. It turned out away from home he was also a bloody good defensive wide player. No one can predict injuries to the extent we have them. We had 2 championship quality left backs as well as a very decent back up. THe club can not have a never ending supply of left backs. We now will be using a 4th. Another with PL experience. The club has done what they can. You need to open your eyes just a bit and you may actually see it

That is my point we DID NOT have 2 championship left backs we had 1 first choice and 2 versatile defenders who could fill in in an emergency but not for as long as Bong was going to be out.plus a reserve left back who CH had decided wasnt good enough, he is the one who should have been replaced not wait until Bong was injured.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

..........and defensively Calde has not let anyone down, with few goals coming down that side. It's going forward his relative positioning and age (lack of pace) has been exposed and led to us being less effective. It was fine when Rosenior was there because he's a bloody good left back with pace. To call him a liability is incredibly harsh, as is saying CH has screwed our chances of automatic promotion. If you can't see that I'd suggest stepping away from your keyboard for a bit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Geez...u really do go on....Bridge...Ward ....Bennett...all on loan....CH who lets remember u were criticising for all sorts of things at the beginning of this thread ....(still waiting for the other details)...signed Bong and a more than adequate cover in Rosenoir ...yes signed on a contract ..not loaned!!! No wonder you ran a pub you'd drive people to drink
Happy New Year

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Geez...u really do go on....Bridge...Ward ....Bennett...all on loan....CH who lets remember u were criticising for all sorts of things at the beginning of this thread ....(still waiting for the other details)...signed Bong and a more than adequate cover in Rosenoir ...yes signed on a contract ..not loaned!!! No wonder you ran a pub you'd drive people to drink
Happy New Year

That is my point LR was signed as ageneral cover and I suspect more for Bruno and not to cover Bong.who we should have signed specific cover for as previous history said we couldnt get a left back only on .loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here