Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] BHA Council New Lows

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Un-fecking-believable.

Or, second thoughts, maybe not.

The council wants the volunteer organisers of the main Remembrance parade and service in Hove to pay for lost parking income.

Brighton and Hove City Council used to organise the annual events in Brighton, Hove and Portslade to honour the fallen but three years ago pulled the plug.

Instead, politicians agreed that volunteers, including vicars and military veterans, should take over the task, and allocated £400 to cover all the costs.

To add insult to injury, this year the council’s parking services team told those volunteers that they would have to pay £180 because 10 parking bays would be out of action for three hours.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Reading it through, and taking out the Daily Mail hysteria, what it actually says is they no longer have to meet the costs this year and the decision to charge them next year is under review. I highly doubt it will happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reading it through, and taking out the Daily Mail hysteria, what it actually says is they no longer have to meet the costs this year and the decision to charge them next year is under review. I highly doubt it will happen.

Why spend workimg time dreaming up the plan in the first place? Charity/volunteers run this out of their hearts.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why spend workimg time dreaming up the plan in the first place? Charity/volunteers run this out of their hearts.
I don't know. I'm guessing they are having budgets reduced everywhere right now. So the parking surplus is merely re-allocated.

It's not a good idea this one though. I can't see it happening.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
To add insult to injury, this year the council’s parking services team told those volunteers that they would have to pay £180 because 10 parking bays would be out of action for three hours.

Is it really £6 an hour to park in Brighton and Hove? Or am I missing something?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Is it really £6 an hour to park in Brighton and Hove? Or am I missing something?
It's £6.10 for four hours in Hove. So I'm not sure what the make up of those figures is.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The fact that the idea even occurred just shows how far out of touch many politicians, bureaucrats and public sector workers have become from the ordinary person on the street.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Penny pinching, if commercially time-costed, the admin would cost more.

Plus a drop in the parking income ocean, BHCC made a £15.1m surplus on parking services in 2021/22.
The word is profit not surplus.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s certainly tone deaf to charge the organisers of the parade and surely you could find between £180 - £400 somewhere else?

Perhaps the councillor who once claimed to be the richest man on NSC could make a donation out of his salary and expenses?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It’s certainly tone deaf to charge the organisers of the parade and surely you could find between £180 - £400 somewhere else?

Perhaps the councillor who once claimed to be the richest man on NSC could make a donation out of his salary and expenses?
Aren't they giving the organisers £400?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

13.20 for 2 hours in the Laines.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Absolutely disgraceful comment given that member is currently taking time out away from here due to other things posted.

Well below the belt, shame on you as a moderator

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Absolutely disgraceful comment given that member is currently taking time out away from here due to other things posted.

Well below the belt, shame on you as a moderator
I am no fan of @Stevefoster but I totally agree, I can only assume this individual chooses to be a moderator to massage his ego or similar because he alone continually abuses his responsibilities with comments like that 🤦‍♂️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here