Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BHA are BOTTOM of the table in set piece goals

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The boys tried a couple of new variations in the last few games so I think this is an area that is currently being worked on. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
Yep noticed a few short corners against Fulham - didn’t make any difference though. One of our best chances was actually scoring on a counterattack after conceding a corner.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Surely the good news is that we are top 10, on target for Europe, and crap at set pieces. Something to go for. If you are good at everything, then difficult to improve.

In any case , don't despair, we 5th with 1 in free kicks scored, handily placed in a pack of 15 due to starting with 'B'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure. We are great to watch, not contesting that. But this is a thread about set peice goals, no? We are attrocious in that regard.
Blimey some people just want to moan about anything

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would like to see Macalister or Pervis on some corners March is fecking useless at them so if the duties are to be shared with Gross then let it be with Mac & Pervis.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would like to see Macalister or Pervis on some corners March is fecking useless at them so if the duties are to be shared with Gross then let it be with Mac & Pervis.
Justice day (the annual occasion where I agree with you) is coming early this year since I agree it would be very interesting to see Perv in charge of some set pieces.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You just know that Dunk and Webster aren't going to bury a header.

Instead, always missing the goal, like clockwork.

The Amex crowds get rather excited about corners and freekicks swung in, to me a resigned "we're just shit at that".

el punal

We're bottom because we can't deliver nor are we brave. It sucks.
Jeez! You make it sound as if we’re relegation bound. I’m sure that the coaches are working on any deficiencies on set play. Still, you can’t have it all, I mean we’re recognised by neutrals as the most enjoyable team to watch, playing the most attractive football, and, as it stands our best ever season. I suppose that all sucks as well?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sure. We are great to watch, not contesting that. But this is a thread about set peice goals, no? We are attrocious in that regard.
Are you the annoying bloke behind me who spouts off about this “amusingly” at corners? Every. Single. Time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So what are our two? One must be the Ali Mac free kick against Leicester, what is the other one. Chelsea scored an own goal from a corner in the 4-1 bumming we gave them, but normally own goals don't count in these things (and it's got its own column anyway)
The RLC own goal counts in both columns. It was an own goal scored from a corner.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It might sound a bit obvious but if we’re good at open play why not put corners in to open play.
Both fans and players hate it but yeah it is probably the efficient thing to do. But scoring for open play is also difficult when the defense is gathered like they would be for a corner. Most goals in football are scored within 10 seconds of winning the ball. For each second that goes past that number, the chance of scoring becomes less. Playing a corner short and keeping the ball might not result in less goals but there is also no certainty it would result in more.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
3rd for open play goals I think - much bigger stat to twist the thread on its head!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The RLC own goal counts in both columns. It was an own goal scored from a corner.
It can’t cause if you add the columns up they come to 39 which is how many goals we’ve got this season. If anything was counted in two columns the total would be more than 39.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Jeez! You make it sound as if we’re relegation bound. I’m sure that the coaches are working on any deficiencies on set play. Still, you can’t have it all, I mean we’re recognised by neutrals as the most enjoyable team to watch, playing the most attractive football, and, as it stands our best ever season. I suppose that all sucks as well?

I'm sure they are. As I'm sure they have been for years and it has been years since we were routinely even average at set plays. As I said, i'm not contesting that we're great to watch or that we score goals or even that we've got a real shot at Europe. I'm as on board as most. But this is a thread titled "BHA are BOTTOM of the table in set piece goals." If i can't comment on our inability to affect a game from set pieces here, where can I? Does it not suck that we can't do it? I happen to think it does.

Are you the annoying bloke behind me who spouts off about this “amusingly” at corners? Every. Single. Time.

East Upper Block F

Why not start a thread saying how many open play goals we’ve scored this season. Why look for negatives?

I didn't start the thread and generally I don't start them. I'll comment on what's going if I see it. I'm not looking for anything, It was here.

You all seem rather eager to snap my head off for voicing an opinon. Maybe take a few minutes away from NSC and calm down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here