Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Best way to go about selling old jewellery?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Sadly my wife has inherited a bunch of old jewellery, mostly rings and necklaces. She's keeping a few items, but there is a large amount she would like to sell. We're not sure of the best way to go about it. The obvious worry is not knowing its true value and selling it too cheaply. What's the best way to establish value and then sell at that price? If we take it to a jeweller that deals in that type of stuff I'm worried he'll try and pay us way under the odds for it, as his business model will be to buy as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible. I've looked at some valuation companies, but when trying them out for things in the past they weren't interested in helping really as I'm such small fry, and my items were probably worth a few hundreds of pounds, if that, and not worth their while - maybe I was just unlucky.

Has anyone done similar and have any advice?

Cheers!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Take them to a reputable auction house, you'll get a realisitic valuation, and they'll sell them for you.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Auction house? They might give an indicative quote but either the market ( bidders ) decide the value or a set reserve can protect your interests.

Take them to a reputable auction house, you'll get a realisitic valuation, and they'll sell them for you.

Cheers! Can either of you recommend a reputable one, ideally in Sussex rather than London, but happy to go there if necessary.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Why not pay a Jeweler to value it for insurance purposes for you. will likely highlight which pieces are worth more etc? obviously what they value it at wont relate to what they would offer, but if they think its for insurance then at least you'd get a more realistic value.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Sadly my wife has inherited a bunch of old jewellery, mostly rings and necklaces. She's keeping a few items, but there is a large amount she would like to sell. We're not sure of the best way to go about it. The obvious worry is not knowing its true value and selling it too cheaply. What's the best way to establish value and then sell at that price? If we take it to a jeweller that deals in that type of stuff I'm worried he'll try and pay us way under the odds for it, as his business model will be to buy as cheap as possible and sell for as high as possible. I've looked at some valuation companies, but when trying them out for things in the past they weren't interested in helping really as I'm such small fry, and my items were probably worth a few hundreds of pounds, if that, and not worth their while - maybe I was just unlucky.

Has anyone done similar and have any advice?

Cheers!
Go to a reputable auction house like gorringes they will value & put into auction for you . If the rings are gold , ie 9ct, 18ct etc they are classed as fine jewellery, so will have a min gold value . If they are plated they probably wouldn’t have much value . Usually any real diamond rings are set in either 18ct gold or platinum . Platinum and goid values change daily and you can Google the current rates in grams. Most ring weight between 3-5 grams although occasionally they are heavier .

Solid silver jewellery has a metal value but far lower than gold . Again plated silver has much less value and you are just paying for the design and second hand they are worth much less .

Diamond values vary greatly depending on the size , cut and clarity but unless the diamonds are at least 0.5 Ct & bigger , the value won’t be much . You might see a ring with multiple tiny diamonds ie 0.10 Ct in a jewellers for several hundred pounds but you are paying mainly for the design as diamonds that small have little value .

Hope this helps .

If your collection includes any vintage 2ct diamonds with exceptional clarity , colour & set in platinum by a well known jeweller , it could be worth many thousands of course .

Good luck .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Top bloke 👍

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
david-dickinson.jpg

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
The downside with an auction house is the amount of commission paid by both the seller and the buyer - it can be a significant chunk.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Whibleys in Worthing would be my suggestion for a Jeweller if you wanted to go down the insurance valuation route. But any insurance quote will bear no relationship to what a Jeweller will actually pay.

MisterE

Nov 2, 2009
Theres only one place to send it - Hatton Garden Metals in London. It's where all these shops buying gold etc send theirs
If unsure if silver or gold, they will honestly sort it for you

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gorringes auction house Lewes .
Watched their auction today. They were getting ok prices. They charge 15% +vat on up to £3000 10% thereafter.
Thought the auctioneer was very quick and concluded Lots without extracting the best price.

Eastbourne was getting good prices last week.
Auctioneer much slower and got far greater prices for very similar items.

Good pieces will get better prices at auction than selling at second hand jewellers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here