BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
 Defiance with Daniel Craig.

A group of Belarusians make a decision to live in the woods, rather than join the Russians to escape from the German Nazis. It's not easy and it packs an emotional punch as they survive the brutal winters with little shelter and no heat. As they emerge triumphant in 1944, it shows a beautiful spring with hope for the future. I can't really put into words how good this powerful film is.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
In my opinion a war film to be authentic needs some of the actors are advisors to have actually been there or somewhere very simila. as such Battle of Britan

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It is not a genre that I esually like , but I did watch and be drawn in with “ All Quiet On The Western Front “.
I don’t like the films that glorify warfare.
Well you should try The Cruel Sea, almost documentary like regarding the Battle of the Atlantic, no glorification whatever, some harrowing scenes,.

Main one is when they decide to depth charge a U-Boat when there are Allied survivors just above them. Still shocking.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pretty much everyone mentioned in dispatches are good war films and worth watching. I'd dispute that Casablanca is actually a war film. As for Star Wars and Aliens, they are and always will be sci-fi. You might as well start reclassifying hundreds of western films.

One that's not been mentioned is Life is Beautiful

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Before they added the special effects, they used the bombing raid footage from Dam Busters in place of the Death Star climactic sequence to show test audiences.

Fact fans.
It would have been a much better film with a couple of Lancaster bombers instead of all those silly X and Y flying thingies

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Debbie does Dallas was good,

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Well you should try The Cruel Sea, almost documentary like regarding the Battle of the Atlantic, no glorification whatever, some harrowing scenes,.

Main one is when they decide to depth charge a U-Boat when there are Allied survivors just above them. Still shocking.
Another vote for the cruel sea

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pretty much everyone mentioned in dispatches are good war films and worth watching. I'd dispute that Casablanca is actually a war film. As for Star Wars and Aliens, they are and always will be sci-fi. You might as well start reclassifying hundreds of western films.

One that's not been mentioned is Life is Beautiful
Depends what you class as a war film? Does it have to have fighting and battles?

If so, around 50 % of war films aren’t war films.

Casablanca is about Rick smuggling a rebel who is being pursued by Nazis out of the country. There’s no fighting but by that criteria, Life Is Beautiful is definitely not a war film either.

But it is. Just different aspects of the war.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Have we had Lawrence of Arabia yet?

I remember Gallipoli really affecting me at the time but I don’t know if it’s stood the test of time.

Rescue Dawn is also very good. As is Black Hawk Down.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Depends what you class as a war film? Does it have to have fighting and battles?

If so, around 50 % of war films aren’t war films.

Casablanca is about Rick smuggling a rebel who is being pursued by Nazis out of the country. There’s no fighting but by that criteria, Life Is Beautiful is definitely not a war film either.

But it is. Just different aspects of the war.
Fair enough. However, Aliens and Star Wars are definitely not war films.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports