Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best THREE Elvis Costello songs?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I got ridiculously excited about this thread!!!

1. I want you
2. Lipstick Vogue
3. Alison
4. Too many to only choose three can I have just a few more?
5. What's so funny about
6. Beyond Belief
7. The Beat
8 I'll stop now but so many more!!!!

You are correct to refuse to narrow it down.

Good to see a mention of Beyond Belief. That song is so stuffed full of brilliant wordplay and images; "In this almost empty gin palace, Through a two way looking glass, You see your Alice." being my favourite.

The obvious choices are all valid 'Oliver's Army' is still stunning thirty six years since I first heard it on TOTP and thought 'Blimey, I didn't know music could be as good as that.' 'Shipbuilding' is still incredible, as are 'Alison', 'I Want You', 'Watching the Detectives' and 'Radio Radio.'

Some of my less well known favourites are 'I Hope You're Happy Now' from 'Blood & Chocolate', which is just as violently spiteful as 'I Want You' is menacing. '15 Petals' from 'When I was Cruel' is tinged with mad modern jazz and 'The Other End Of The Telescope' from 'All This Useless Beauty' which has some of my favourite EC lines 'Late in the evening as I sit here moping, With a bamboo needle on a shellac of Chopin, And the cast iron heart that you failed to tear open.'

I'll stop now. My wife only likes 'Oliver's Army' and is frequently heard saying the words 'Why do you need another Elvis Costello record?' when we are out shopping.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
At the moment:

1. Couldn't Call It Unexpected No 4
2. Man Out of Time
3. Beyond Belief

(No. 3 changes frim time to time for others such as 'Tramp The Dirt Down', 'Pills and Soap' and 'Shipbuilding')

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
1: Radio Radio
2: Tramp the Dirt Down
3: I Want You

Loved the first one from the first time I heard it, great lyrics:

'Is a Sound Salvation'

'They really think we're getting out of control.'

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've always liked "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down"

"Olivers Army" and "Watching the Detectives" would probably be my other two picks.

I wish my music collection had more Costello in it. Perhaps I should make it a priority to put right.

I stayed in a hotel in the Swiss Alps once where they played Costello non-stop 24 hours a day over the PA. You'd think that eventually you'd want them to play something else, but that moment never arrived in the week I was there.

Also remember a very hot gig at the Top Rank Suite back in the late 70s (or possibly early 80s) where he was excellent. I'm surprised that I haven't seen him live since then!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
4 pages an no mention of New Amsterdam ?

1 Alison
2 (Angels wanna wear my) Red Shoes
3 New Amsterdan

this really needs someone who can be bothered to draw up a poll

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Alison, Shipbuilding and Detectives..........Peace, love etc is the Brinsleys as far as I am concerned!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here