Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best team in the league by a mile

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I love the team but would not say the best by a mile it's been a close run thing and the championship has shown that any team can win on their day!
He's trying to jinx us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Without doubt! Call me silly but after watching Sunderland squirm their way out of it every year without fail i wont be counting my chickens yet with regards to them!

Surely Sunderland are finally about to drop through the trap door. As Middlesbrough were, the day they sacked Karanka and replaced him with Steve Agnew.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
You're wrong there, it's exactly because those games were so bad that they DO need/deserve description.

Lest we forget and all that.

I for one am entirely and completely proud of each and every single Albion fan that attended even one game there because that's why we didn't die, that spirit is why we should be allowed to gloat and celebrate exactly how we see fit.

We do it because it's in our blood and always will be - it surrounds us, binds us together and helps us grow together.

UTA

I've been thinking about that first season at Priestfield a lot recently. It's really hard to pick out the worst performance from that season but for me facing 10-man Darlington with Shutt, a striker, in goal for over an hour and still not managing one attempt on goal took ineptitude to new levels. In am sure that those who suffered that and seeing us make Torquay and Mansfield look like Brazil sometimes have to pinch themselves to see how far we have come.

Jan 22, 2017
Surely Sunderland are finally about to drop through the trap door. As Middlesbrough were, the day they sacked Karanka and replaced him with Steve Agnew.

If they don't win today against a weird West Ham team then I may start to agree. They haven't had their 6 points from NUFC handed to them on a plate this season which is part of the reason they're so far behind.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I've been thinking about that first season at Priestfield a lot recently. It's really hard to pick out the worst performance from that season but for me facing 10-man Darlington with Shutt, a striker, in goal for over an hour and still not managing one attempt on goal took ineptitude to new levels. In am sure that those who suffered that and seeing us make Torquay and Mansfield look like Brazil sometimes have to pinch themselves to see how far we have come.
I was there that day, on the coach from Brighton. What a miserable journey back that was.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Genuinely not
Fair enough. That's what we tend to do on here though, particularly with cricket.

Not a chance we are winning all 4
When you beat us and then Huddersfield, while we lost against you and then Forest, it felt like you were basically promoted. You then got 1 point from the next 2 games while we got 6, and the race was back on. That's how fast it changes. You could easily do 4 points on us in 2 games.

Away to Norwich and Villa are tough games, and we could easily drop points in one of our home games. It's the Championship, things aren't straightforward.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
You are going places as a club and deserve it after the years at Gillingham and the Withdean.

Enjoy!

Thank you.

Just to let you know, we actually won 2 back to back titles for the only time in our history and a total of 3 league titles and a playoff promotion during our time at Withdean. It wasn't all doom and gloom. Infact, you could argue it was our most successful era of the club considering our resources. We definitely know how to punch above our weight. It'll be interesting to see if we can do the same in the Prem.

Jan 22, 2017
Fair enough. That's what we tend to do on here though, particularly with cricket.

When you beat us and then Huddersfield, while we lost against you and then Forest, it felt like you were basically promoted. You then got 1 point from the next 2 games while we got 6, and the race was back on. That's how fast it changes. You could easily do 4 points on us in 2 games.

Away to Norwich and Villa are tough games, and we could easily drop points in one of our home games. It's the Championship, things aren't straightforward.

I have realised you do that on here, ha!

And yes i agree that after we beat you and Huddersfield it felt like we would do it no problem but that Reading game on the Tuesday night we looked absolutely shattered and then Fulham destroyed us. Birmingham away was poor, they are easily the worst team I have seen us play and I include Rotherham in that, yet we couldn't score. I don't buy that their keeper kept them in it as I was at the match and we lacked ideas and pace which has been our problem all season when's Gayle has been out.

Villa and Norwich are two games where you could drop 4 points certainly but the pressure is off you now and I think you'll walk it, much like we did under Hughton in 2010, he won't let your form slide. Whereas the pressure is on us, Ipswich have a good home record - have drawn more than they have won mind but rarely seem to lose. And as good as our crowds at SJP are, the amount of pricks who lose their temper when a pass is misplaced if we aren't winning after 20 minutes is bad for the team. The sad thing is a lot of our fans believe(d) we would win the league like we did last time but it is far stronger now and we aren't as good. Last night was the first good atmosphere at SJP all season. If we fail to win on Monday Preston next week is going to be a nervy affair for the team in front of a restless crowd.

Whatever happens though as long as we're in the PL in August I will be over the moon.

Jan 22, 2017
Thank you.

Just to let you know, we actually won 2 back to back titles for the only time in our history and a total of 3 league titles and a playoff promotion during our time at Withdean. It wasn't all doom and gloom. Infact, you could argue it was our most successful era of the club considering our resources. We definitely know how to punch above our weight. It'll be interesting to see if we can do the same in the Prem.

There is no reason you can't do it in the PL, clubs with worse sides and less resources have went up and stayed there. You have one of the best possible managers to ensure it happens too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And as good as our crowds at SJP are, the amount of pricks who lose their temper when a pass is misplaced if we aren't winning after 20 minutes is bad for the team.
Yep, happens at our place too, but on a smaller scale :D We were very nervy at home to Blackburn and like you, we don't win all the easier games (like Ipswich at home, Forest away). Fortunately, we're so close now that hopefully the players aren't too nervy on Monday.

Whatever happens though as long as we're in the PL in August I will be over the moon.
I will be happier than that. Not that our relative happiness is a competition or anything, but it's difficult for fans of a club like yours to realise what it's been like supporting us for 30 years, and never getting to the top flight.

Jan 22, 2017
Yep, happens at our place too, but on a smaller scale :D We were very nervy at home to Blackburn and like you, we don't win all the easier games (like Ipswich at home, Forest away). Fortunately, we're so close now that hopefully the players aren't too nervy on Monday.

I will be happier than that. Not that our relative happiness is a competition or anything, but it's difficult for fans of a club like yours to realise what it's been like supporting us for 30 years, and never getting to the top flight.

I would actually say that games like Bristol City, Blackburn and QPR could have been different had the crowd been like it was last night roaring the team on instead of sitting down waiting to be entertained.

And I totally understand that, it's impossible to know how it feels for you but I bet it feels great.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would actually say that games like Bristol City, Blackburn and QPR could have been different had the crowd been like it was last night roaring the team on instead of sitting down waiting to be entertained.
Waiting to be entertained is unfortunately the standard position at the Amex. The 14 years without a home has had quite an impact on our support.

And I totally understand that, it's impossible to know how it feels for you but I bet it feels great.
I expect we all feel different. I'm flitting between skipping round the house, and feeling a bit numb that it's actually happening. Last year was just so shit. Poor refereeing towards the end of the season, followed by 4 injuries in the playoff first leg - like, WTF!

Jan 22, 2017
I watched the play off game at The Amex and can't believe you didn't win it. Not surprising that when you end up in the play offs after throwing everything at going up automatically you didn't end up going up, always the case and the reason we need to sort it out. Said before but my tip for the play offs is Fulham.

Bet that experience last season makes this season feel sweeter though, especially beating Wednesday in the circumstances you did at the Amex.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
You're wrong there, it's exactly because those games were so bad that they DO need/deserve description.

Lest we forget and all that.

I for one am entirely and completely proud of each and every single Albion fan that attended even one game there because that's why we didn't die, that spirit is why we should be allowed to gloat and celebrate exactly how we see fit.

We do it because it's in our blood and always will be - it surrounds us, binds us together and helps us grow together.

UTA
I had a half season ticket for one season and full for the next and I genuinely can not remember a single of the games I attended at Priestfield. Journeys there on the bus from Hove yes, but I think my mind is treating the games as emotional trauma lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I was there that day, on the coach from Brighton. What a miserable journey back that was.

It was on my birthday and therefore I will NEVER forget. The name Gabbiadini still makes me cast the skunk eye

I had a half season ticket for one season and full for the next and I genuinely can not remember a single of the games I attended at Priestfield. Journeys there on the bus from Hove yes, but I think my mind is treating the games as emotional trauma lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PTSD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here