Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Sportsman Ever?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Listening to Virgin Radio today they had a competition to win a trip to the Beijing olympics and they were giving clues to great olympic athletes.
It brought it all back when one of them was Carl Lewis.9 gold medals ,only person to win 2 long jump golds,100,200& relay golds as well.Surely he is the greatest sportsman ever.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Steve Redgrave for me

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yeah but Henry cooper put him on his arse.

True, and if he'd done so 30 seconds earlier so the bell couldn't save Ali/Clay, boxing and sporting history could have been very different.

Ali still gets my vote though, as much as anything because he's one of the few people who have ever really earned worldwide recognition even from people who have no interest in the sport in which he participated.

Ask anyone in the street in pretty much any major city on the planet who Muhammad Ali is and they'll more than likely have at least some idea, sports fan or not. Rightly or wrongly, the same just doesn't apply for Carl Lewis.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
True, and if he'd done so 30 seconds earlier so the bell couldn't save Ali/Clay, boxing and sporting history could have been very different.

Ali still gets my vote though, as much as anything because he's one of the few people who have ever really earned worldwide recognition even from people who have no interest in the sport in which he participated.

Ask anyone in the street in pretty much any major city on the planet who Muhammad Ali is and they'll more than likely have at least some idea, sports fan or not. Rightly or wrongly, the same just doesn't apply for Carl Lewis.

Which is really why i asked the question,surely his record says it all,has there ever been better?.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
CB Fry.
Cricket: 26 test matches. Captained both England and Sussex. 94 1st class tons.
Football: FA Cup finalist with Scumhampton.
Rugby: Blue in the Varsity match and played for the Baa-Baas.
Athletics: World long jump holder and won the 100 yards in the first ever athletics international.

Beat that.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
CB Fry.
Cricket: 26 test matches. Captained both England and Sussex. 94 1st class tons.
Football: FA Cup finalist with Scumhampton.
Rugby: Blue in the Varsity match and played for the Baa-Baas.
Athletics: World long jump holder and won the 100 yards in the first ever athletics international.

Beat that.

Yeah but you could have played test cricket in the 1800s

Define Sportsman.

If you mean the most successful in his sport then lots of possibilities including the ones mentioned.

If you mean most sportsmanlike then my vote would be for Jack Nicklaus.

If you mean pubs, the one at Withdean is the best (and only) one that I have been to.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Joey Dunlop OBE R.I.P.

26 Isle of Man race victories including 3 hat-tricks
24 wins at the Ulster grand prix
5 CONSECUTIVE formula 1 world titles
Over 1200 race wins in his career

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't really argue with Carl Lewis's record, but I'm sure I read something a while back that hinted at some kind of drug suspicion about him.

Don't think he ever tested positive in competition, mind, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here