Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

best sport book?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I need to buy my brother in law a book for Christmas.
He's mad about sport, so any recommendations?
I was thinking of the Tony Cascerino book - is it any good?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cascarino's book is excellent - very honest about his private life. Bit of an eye-opener.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Easy 10 said:
Cascarino's book is excellent - very honest about his private life. Bit of an eye-opener.

Does he finish every sentance with the word Pat like on the radio?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Withnail said:
Does he finish every sentance with the word Pat like on the radio?
No. He finishes every sentence with a full stop. :p

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
" All played out" by Pete Davies about England' s 1990 World Cup campaign.

Superb.

Also, Eamon Dunphy's " Only a game."

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"She Stood There Laughing" by a Stoke fan with a few Albion anecdotes to boot.

"An Irrational Hatred of Luton" by a West Ham fan also a good un and again a few Albion tales in there.

"The Basketball Diaries" autobiog about smackhead US college basketball player (played by DiCaprio in the flick)

"Turning to Wednesday" about a dyed in the wool Geordie who turns from NUFC to SWFC after moving to Sheffield and can no longer get to NUFC games. Great, great book, very well written, especially the crunch match when NUFC come to Hillsboro and he realises the transformation is complete.

Jul 7, 2003
If you want something a bit more high brow than the average autobiog would highly recommend Dynamo by Andy Dougan - a book about Dynamo Kiev during the war years and the russian resistance. Can't do it justice here but look at the reviews on Amazon for a better description. Not just about football and very moving.

Also, The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro by Joe McGinniss is an interesting read.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If he's a cricket fan, the Basil D'Oliveira book by Peter Obourne is fascinating. Best sports book I've read for years.

The Cascarino book is pretty good though but I reckon the two Garry Nelson books are better.

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
Seabiscuit - about an American horse in 1930's - won William Hill Sports book of the year a few years ago

MoneyBall - about looking for an edge in Baseball using new statistical methods

both superb books, reccomend to everyone

football wise, Castel di Sagro as above is brilliant as is "A Season with Verona"

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Shit ground no fans, is a great book with the 'funniest' songs of every football league club, I bought it for my Brother In Law but ended up keeping it !!

The Brighton section could have been better, but all in all ist very vey amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here