Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best place for selling a car ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My friend got screwed down a lot on the price with them

Fair enough, we got offered about £500 more than the dealer was offering and about £250 less than we could get privately, but without the hassle.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DBF97256-7477-4158-9A84-969451723E04.jpeg

D

Deleted member 2719

It depends if you want hassle-free and want to try your hand at some Arthur Daley, style of selling. Maximum Price.

If not, avoid webuyanycar, they will take your arms and legs off.

We recently sold on Facebook marketplace and had a quick sale with zero hassle.

Find out what webuyanycar will offer you, I guarantee they will knock you down several hundreds if not thousands when you show them it (they IMO are aggressive buyers looking for people who are in desperate need of selling) I wouldn't leave them with my granny if I had one.
Check out the selling price on Autotrader have in mind how much you are prepared to let the trader have when negotiating, there needs to be enough on the bone for them.

Of course, you could stick it in an auction.

D

Deleted member 2719

Fair enough, we got offered about £500 more than the dealer was offering and about £250 less than we could get privately, but without the hassle.

Sorry, but I think you may have got your figures wrong, as they would not buy a car with such a little margin in it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
motorway.co.uk - they act as intermediary putting your car into online auction with dealers. No fee, as they charge a finders-fee to the buyer rather than to yourself. No obligation to sell if the highest bid isn't what you're after.

Sold my wife's Ford Focus through them last year. Got substantially more than what We Buy offered (or any other option we looked at, including the valuation on Autotrader). Buyer came to our house, collected, and paid up without quibble. Far easy than having to handle a private sale through Autotrader or Facebook etc.

(Worth noting, the vast majority of cars We Buy purchase simply get turned around and flogged for a profit on the same online auctions that motorway.co.uk put your car into. I'd pretty much guarantee Motorway will get you a better price than We Buy will ever offer).

D

Deleted member 2719

motorway.co.uk - they act as intermediary putting your car into online auction with dealers. No fee, as they charge a finders-fee to the buyer rather than to yourself. No obligation to sell if the highest bid isn't what you're after.

Sold my wife's Ford Focus through them last year. Got substantially more than what We Buy offered (or any other option we looked at, including the valuation on Autotrader). Buyer came to our house, collected, and paid up without quibble. Far easy than having to handle a private sale through Autotrader or Facebook etc.

When I sold to trade on Facebook, he transferred a pound into my account before he came, to make sure it worked and after viewing the car......without even driving it transferred the rest while on my drive.
It took minutes to upload on Facebook and 5 mins showing him the car and the cash was in the bank.

Perhaps I was lucky, I believed I pitched the car right, as I know the trade, he knew he had a decent motor, we were all winners, like all negotiating should be.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Wherever you decide to sell be aware of the oil scam. It happened to me last year where one fella distracted me while another poured oil in my coolant. Engine smoked after test drive and was told it had blown and offered silly money. I sensed something was up and sent them on their way despite them being aggressive and trying to push a sale. They were Eastern European and my ad was through auto trader. A common scam apparently. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/oil-trick-scam-drivers/

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I’m selling my wife’s Ford Fiesta and was wondering where NSC recommends putting it up. I’ve had a guide from wesellanycar and cazoo but thought it better to go to a normal advert somewhere and try.

I sold my wife’s aunt’s car using the video option on Autotrader in November. It cost about £100 I think but it has an unlimited time scale. It was a bit like buses as I had very few enquiries in the first 3 weeks other than a few commercial chancers, but then three serious enquiries, one of which paid the full asking price on the same day. I did compare my asking price with a few dealers and the closest was We Buy Any Car but I got about £750 more selling the car privately.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wherever you decide to sell be aware of the oil scam. It happened to me last year where one fella distracted me while another poured oil in my coolant. Engine smoked after test drive and was told it had blown and offered silly money. I sensed something was up and sent them on their way despite them being aggressive and trying to push a sale. They were Eastern European and my ad was through auto trader. A common scam apparently. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/oil-trick-scam-drivers/

I'm struggling to understand how this works.

From an engineering point of view, I'm not into pretending to be eastern european or ripping people off buying 2nd hand bangers.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
OK so see link on sussex crimewatch. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SUSSEXCRIMEWATCH/permalink/819709518767766/

It is a common scam with Eastern Europeans I'm sorry to say. A simple fact. Coincidentally the most lovely Romanian family ended up buying the car and said it is common amongst Romanian gypsies.
Eastbourne area.
I had a guy call about my auto trader add yesterday and was scammed. There were 2 guys who appeared to be Romanian in their 30s with broken English and 1 younger guy perhaps Pakistani. So they have popped the engine wirh one then asking me about some marks on the back of the car and about the spare wheel etc.
I'm then asked to start the engine before they close the bonnet and me and one Romanian guy go on a test drive.
All the dash lights started coming on with him mumbling that I should've told him about the lights.
We then get back and the engine has smoke coming out.
Popped bonnet open and one guy put his finger in the coolant where there was oil.
Started to say car is screwed, not worth getting a new engine and only good for scrap offering to take it off my hands for silly money.
I've of course been suspicious and told them I'd call my mechanic. They then buggered off sharply.
Silver Audi which I believe was an A4. Dent on the front right.
It's reported to police and I've got a photo of my car being tampered with.
Car has now been flushed and disconnected engine components sorted.
I noticed today that they had used 3 different mobile numbers to call me.
Please pass on the reg plate if anyone else has had this. We believe it started with R
They can surely be set up with a police sting although I expect this will just be dismissed and allowed to continue to go on.....

Similar incident here https://m.facebook.com/groups/SUSSEXCRIMEWATCH/permalink/795666904505361/

Last edited:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I used webuyanycar, initially got offered £4500 for a mini, market rate said maybe £5200 (it did have a broken boot lock, cigeratte lighter thing didn’t work and needed two new tires so wouldn’t have got that and would have felt guilty. A week later they offered £4800, took it in - took off £75 for a small dent, scratched alloy, and two scratch marks. Didn’t check tyres or anything. It was hassle free money in bank next day.

When I did trade-in for current motor used webuyanycar quote as benchmark for trade in price, dealer said nearly all trade-ins go straight to them (BCA) so accepted it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Can't see any mention of eBay Classifieds yet - £10 for 28 days

Sold my last 3 cars over last 10 years using this and bought 1 through it too.

I'd happily recommend ....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm struggling to understand how this works.

From an engineering point of view, I'm not into pretending to be eastern european or ripping people off buying 2nd hand bangers.

Yes oil in the coolant won’t cause smoking but if you read the report they put oil up the exhaust pipe.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry, but I think you may have got your figures wrong, as they would not buy a car with such a little margin in it.

That is what we thought but 100% what the dealer was offering and we only had three private offers after advertising locally. When we turned up the guy had a good look around it, it was as described, we lost £100 I think for a couple of scratches. I was surprised but it was hassle free and got shot of it!

D

Deleted member 2719

That is what we thought but 100% what the dealer was offering and we only had three private offers after advertising locally. When we turned up the guy had a good look around it, it was as described, we lost £100 I think for a couple of scratches. I was surprised but it was hassle free and got shot of it!

Okay, I have heard many bad stories of 3k below retail price on a 9k motor etc.

Someone was smiling on you that day. Might be worth getting a lotto ticket too.:lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well I’ve put it on Facebook marketplace to start with and then Autotrader following all the advice….. ta everyone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here