Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Best Man Speech - Palace Groom!!

seagulls120

Feb 25, 2009
Hi all,

My mate is getting married in a months time and unfortunately he is a Palace fan (I know, I know)!

I’m seeking some ideas how I can ‘nicely’ poke fun at the fact he supports Palace (along with half the room!). Any ideas welcome, somehow comparing marriage to supporting palace is my thinking! :)

Thanks

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I had to do this last year. Generally just laid into Croydon, Selhurst, their horrible purple kit and basically that they weren’t Brighton.

Biggest laugh I got though was when I referred to them as the Stripey Nigels. Turned out the rest of the room (Southampton, Pompey, Spurs and Arsenal fans mainly plus a couple of other Brighton and Palace fans) had never heard of the name before.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Hi all,

My mate is getting married in a months time and unfortunately he is a Palace fan (I know, I know)!

I’m seeking some ideas how I can ‘nicely’ poke fun at the fact he supports Palace (along with half the room!). Any ideas welcome, somehow comparing marriage to supporting palace is my thinking! :)

Thanks
Can’t you find out where he will be spending his wedding night and lay a cable for him to find in his en-suite? I’m sure he’ll see the funny side of it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hi all,

Thanks
Throw a load of small change at him.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hi all,

Thanks
Personally I wouldn't overdo it on the anti Palace jokes as from what you've said only half the room is likely to understand and appreciate the rivalry. You risk the other the other half politely laughing but in reality not having a clue.

One of the classic pit falls of a best man's speech is one too laden with in jokes. I went to a wedding a few years back and the groom and best man had been mates in the marines together along with a handful of the rest of the room. Way too many bootneck jokes meant the speech fell a bit flat :(

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hope the marriage lasts as long as the plans to build a new stand at Selhurst

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I did a best man speech last summer, just winged it for a few mins, people thought it was great

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it in a marquee ? (tent)

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have you thought about tying a really tatty banner with some illiterate, meaningless crap scrawled on it across the front of the top table, and then claiming to be the best wedding guests in the entire world?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here