Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best LIVE band?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
To throw some things a bit different into the mix.

Gojira, Ghost and Enter Shikari.

First two are both absolutely incredible every time, Ghost extremely theatrical in their show.

Shikari are great too but their show at Brighton Centre with quadrophonic surround sound was incredible.

Basically 4 speakers instead of 2, one in each corner which allows for some really cool effects.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I should have made it clearer in the OP (now edited) I was talking about Bands that are still together and touring!

Although I think Coldplay are a great live act they would not win my all time favourite live band vote

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Best
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, St James's Park, Newcastle 1986
U2 Ninian Park, Cardiff 1987?
Joan Baez, Ephesus, Turkey 1989 or so.

Worst
Bob Dylan, Singapore 2012
Neil Young and Dire Straits both at Wembley Arena also not good, but the lousy acoustics may have had something to do with that.

boik

It seems that almost by definition people think of the best live band as stadium rockers. I'm much more entertained and excited br small venue performers where you can see what theyre playing and how they're playing it, and their personality comes across.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Such a taste driven thing. Cannot comment on Coldplay as not my kind of stuff.

Foos put on a very honest, hard working performance, which is full of crowd favourites.

But what do you base your judgement on? Musicianship, sound compared to studio?

If the latter I would say that The Cult were pretty damn hard to beat.

If it is showmanship and the ability to hold a crowd in the palm of the artists hand then I would say Robbie Williams, but that was 20 odd years ago.

Very personal thing.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Manics

Happened to be there and hated their music, but hats off to their live performance

This for me - Was lucky enough to roadie with them and Catatonia back in 2001 (?) on their 'This is my truth' tour - The Manchester and Cardiff legs were outstanding full force live gigs.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
A standout concert from one of the greatest bands of the modern era…

Black Lace live at Casanova’s Nightclub in Wakefield, 1982…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Such a taste driven thing. Cannot comment on Coldplay as not my kind of stuff.

Foos put on a very honest, hard working performance, which is full of crowd favourites.

But what do you base your judgement on? Musicianship, sound compared to studio?

If the latter I would say that The Cult were pretty damn hard to beat.

If it is showmanship and the ability to hold a crowd in the palm of the artists hand then I would say Robbie Williams, but that was 20 odd years ago.

Very personal thing.

Of course and nobody has seen every band. For me it’s the ability to at least match a studio recording and for that reason I am championing Coldplay. I seldom listen their albums more than a couple of times but whenever I come across a live performance on tv I’ll watch and I’ve yet to be disappointed.

As far as on stage charisma goes Freddie Mercury is hard to beat but I just don’t like Queen :shrug:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Between a few for me:

The Who at the Valley Charlton 76
Led Zeppelin Knebworth 79
Pink Floyd Earls Court 94

If pressed Zep at knebworth was unbelievable, apart from 7 hours to get out of the car park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
It seems that almost by definition people think of the best live band as stadium rockers. I'm much more entertained and excited br small venue performers where you can see what theyre playing and how they're playing it, and their personality comes across.

This...

My Morning Jacket @ The Concorde 2 around the time of the third album the most sublime performance I've seen...

By the same token, Babybird in a small tent at the Essential Festival Stanmer Park next best

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
One of my favourite live psychobilly bands is batmobile from Holland.
This was at Hamburg, and I’m wrecking in the video, can you spot me ?
As long as “you” enjoy yourself that’s the main thing, it’s your thing, go for it.

https://youtu.be/_mTimlugfA4

My Favourite of all time live are the stingrays - absolutely mad crazy gigs
Also the second band the Tallboys were awesome live
The third band Billy Childish’s Milkshakes another great band in their day.

first band introduced on this early channel 4 programme.
Famous artist going mental down the front, anyone guess who ?

https://youtu.be/Fw9z6bmd1QI

Such a subjective topic, everything’s great in the right mood

I’ll have a guess and suggest Tracy Emin as she and Billy Childish were an item around that time.
Where do I collect my prize?

Bruce Springsteen and the E - Street Band and Thin Lizzy joint first. For number of times seen and the fact that they were local lads it would have to be The Drivers who morphed into The Cutting Crew.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just counted and have seen Thee Oh Sees 7 times in the last 9 years. Without doubt my favourite live band of the past few years. A big thank you to [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION], wherever he is these days, for the tip!

Some posters are stating individual gigs; favorite gig would be a different answer and Queen at Wembley. That was quite life changing and left a huge impression on my teenage mind.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Most surprising… Biffy Clyro supporting Foos at MK Bowl. So utterly different from their studio sound. Royal Blood right up there for sheer power.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

This

It's very easy to produce and over produce on a massive scale, give me Comedia/Ropetackle/RIchmond/ even the Free Butt or the Duke of Wellington and you really get to know exactly what your listening too.

The last few years have been a bit barren.

Not my cup of tea really but we supported Gong last summer at a festival in Devon, they were very good.

Not long before he sadly died we saw the Pretty Things, still superb after all these years.

Unkown mortal orchestra @ the Concorde not long before covid was also very good. and Steve Mason & Weller @ Cardiff Castle both piss all over Coldplay.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here