Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best lawnmower for a garden?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Pffft ….I have three lawnmowers sunshine ..two of which I would classify as professional..the other would suit Icy Gull.

As regards to the OP more info is needed…what size is normal (we still talking lawns?)…budget etc etc etc etc etc

I thought you said size didn't matter :shrug:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Borrow mine if you like.

a567c9579e3b0f3bed6bea32a10d046e.jpg

If we’re playing Top Trumps, this is my DR mower - great for when you let the grass grow too long

E57EDCFC-6622-4B20-9444-F9171E4D9376.jpeg

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My gardener has just put a first cut in our lawn today i couldn't help myself watching from the window and couldn't figure out why at the end of the garden I stead of mowing back up he stopped and instead walked all the way back up to do the next strip, it's not like he's paid by the hour, I was going to ask him but it started chucking down and he scarpered.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My gardener has just put a first cut in our lawn today i couldn't help myself watching from the window and couldn't figure out why at the end of the garden I stead of mowing back up he stopped and instead walked all the way back up to do the next strip, it's not like he's paid by the hour, I was going to ask him but it started chucking down and he scarpered.
Sounds like they're trying to make wide stripes. The efficient way is, after the first run go along a bit and then come back the distance of your required stripes. Then mow up against your first run and eventually you will get wide stripes. It's similar to how farmers plough fields.
The other reason is that as it started raining, and they didn't want to get wet?!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Sunday working? :moo:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For a small to average UK lawn, I would buy a battery powered mower without doubt. Just so convenient.

Unless you want quality stripes, as I do not know of a battery powered cylinder mower yet. Unless [MENTION=2974]Jack[/MENTION]Straw knows different?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/battery-lawn-mower-with-rear-roller?targetid=dsa-19959388920&matchtype=&device=c&campaignid=15545821194&creative=569202527995&adgroupid=132681530362&feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=1006565&loc_interest_ms=&network=g&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$&target=&aceid=&adposition=&trackid=uk_all_ls_top_4_1&mId=407-132-4411&trackOld=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulljOfnPDl0Xc3kXf7eYmuD0CDcEoH3UrIGGtD5meqIxfzwIaIhKTUQaAm8KEALw_wcB

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For a small to average UK lawn, I would buy a battery powered mower without doubt. Just so convenient.

Unless you want quality stripes, as I do not know of a battery powered cylinder mower yet. Unless [MENTION=2974]Jack[/MENTION]Straw knows different?

For small lawns (definition?) I tend to use a small battery powered mower ..convenient..lightweight ..not so good on wet grass and when long (be prepared to double cut) …maybe tie it in with other machinery you might need such as strimmer..hedge cutter …so that the battery (can be expensive) and charger can be used for all of them.
I bought one because I needed it for a specific job where it had to be carried over a six foot wall …and then found it useful for small lawns ..less energy used ..less maintenance:shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For small lawns (definition?) I tend to use a small battery powered mower ..convenient..lightweight ..not so good on wet grass and when long (be prepared to double cut) …maybe tie it in with other machinery you might need such as strimmer..hedge cutter …so that the battery (can be expensive) and charger can be used for all of them.
I bought one because I needed it for a specific job where it had to be carried over a six foot wall …and then found it useful for small lawns ..less energy used ..less maintenance:shrug:

Nice to get some professional device as it appears [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] may have overdone it at lunchtime and fallen asleep on his keyboard :wink:

https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/battery-lawn-mower-with-rear-roller?targetid=dsa-19959388920&matchtype=&device=c&campaignid=15545821194&creative=569202527995&adgroupid=132681530362&feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=1006565&loc_interest_ms=&network=g&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$&target=&aceid=&adposition=&trackid=uk_all_ls_top_4_1&mId=407-132-4411&trackOld=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulljOfnPDl0Xc3kXf7eYmuD0CDcEoH3UrIGGtD5meqIxfzwIaIhKTUQaAm8KEALw_wcB

D

Deleted member 2719

Another vote for Honda Self-Propelled.

Ours is still going strong 13 years from new. Many times it's been left out in the rain by error, but no issues at all.

Minor, cheap as chips, self-repairs or to a dealers service bit and bobs, every year or so.

All the contract gardener round here use them too.

The honda used to have gearbox issues in the 80's, which is why many switched back to a belt-driven Hayter, with a Briggs and Stratton engine, they could get wet grass in between the belt and pulley, but that took seconds to clear.
But as a contractor mower the Hayter was standout for VFM at that time.
Cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair and had minimal downtime.
I guess Honda got their act together eventually.
The Honda engine always was bullet proof that said.

Now put your mower away at night.:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The honda used to have gearbox issues in the 80's, which is why many switched back to a belt-driven Hayter, with a Briggs and Stratton engine, they could get wet grass in between the belt and pulley, but that took seconds to clear.
But as a contractor mower the Hayter was standout for VFM at that time.
Cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair and had minimal downtime.
I guess Honda got their act together eventually.
The Honda engine always was bullet proof that said.

Now put your mower away at night.:lolol:

It’s a long trek to the garage with several sets of steps, so that’s a non-starter for a heavy mower, but I do each winter.

Long-term plan is for a nice workshop, not the featheredge tat sheds sold everywhere.

Need to clear a mini jungle and make a nice wildlife pond first … in the same area of the garden.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice to get some professional device as it appears [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] may have overdone it at lunchtime and fallen asleep on his keyboard :wink:

Yes, when I saw how the pasted link appeared, I tried again but to no avail. It's just a matter of highlighting it all and an option to "Go to website" appears I believe?
Either that or over-typing is a side-affect of Tonsillitis!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Rear roller I’d always recommend a hayter although not the best with wet grass…I have the 48inch pro version..gets used on the ‘posh’ lawns
Commercial properties I normally use a Husqvarna Klippo mulch mower..love it ..lightweight ..good speed….Honda engine ..manoeuvrability excellent…not so good when grass is long as it’ll leave it on top …but for seven months of a nine month season it’s lovely

Sthil battery as mentioned for the pidly sized stuff
I’ve had Viking,Stiga, Honda, Etesia plus some I can’t remember all have their pros and cons …it’s never easy to give a recommendation…budget…size of lawn ..type of cut required…on a slope etc all come into play

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rear roller I’d always recommend a hayter although not the best with wet grass…I have the 48 inch pro version..gets used on the ‘posh’ lawns
Commercial properties I normally use a Husqvarna Klippo mulch mower..love it ..lightweight ..good speed….Honda engine ..manoeuvrability excellent…not so good when grass is long as it’ll leave it on top …but for seven months of a nine month season it’s lovely

Sthil battery as mentioned for the pidly sized stuff
I’ve had Viking,Stiga, Honda, Etesia plus some I can’t remember all have their pros and cons …it’s never easy to give a recommendation…budget…size of lawn ..type of cut required…on a slope etc all come into play

In your dreams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here