Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best gigs you've seen

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
went to see fashion in 82? i think at brixton accadamy ,i thought at the time wow what a cool group,and wore lipstick for a week after,hey ho there ya go.

The Cure in the Théâtre antique d'Orange.......awesome.

Well.... I too saw them in Orange... Orange County California!
They were good there too, though a bit difficult to see a lot of, as they were shrouded in smoke for most of the show! All for effect, I'm sure.

The Pink Floyd at The Dome in 1972 was good, while we're on the subject of atmospherics. Gilmore tweaking seagull sounds out of his Strat during 'Echoes', while waist deep in blue-light-tinted dry ice was very effective. These were kings of progressive mind-bending rock, we knew that at the time. It was a great period in music for sure - heavy metal with Sabbath, classical Rock with Renaissance, complex Greenslade and Camel, loose Wishbone Ash concertos with Barclay-James Harvest and provocative Yes and Genesis, and was all very thinking-man's music until pub-rock (Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Dire Straits etc.) preceded the monster punk onslaught-er of rock.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Seen a lot of good stuff over the years, but most recently saw Coldplay in Charlotte[The wife wanted to] Not a huge fan myself, but was very impressed with Elbow, who opened for them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Clash - TRS
Jam - Dome
Ramones - TRS
Damned - TRS

Were all great but probably the best ever was Jason and the Scorchers at the Richmond

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
It's hard not to come off as a wanker on this thread, but there's so many great gigs to choose from so I'll try and keep it brief (live music and The Albion fierely fought for my viewing loyalties back in England when I were a lad, although nowadys it's only ever music), here goes....
New Order at The Festival Hall during the miners strike on the 4th anniversary of Ian Curtis' death when they played Decades as an encore takes some beating (yes, call me wanker if you will but it was a tear jerking moment if eve there was one).
Oasis used to rock in 94', frequently - saw them all over London and the SE.
Jeff Buckley was wicked in a small outoor pub beer garden on the banks of the Swan River (ironic....).
Verve (not the Verve, just Verve back then) at Camden Town Hall in 94' when Ashcroft still thought he could fly.
Neil Young & Crazyhore at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne doing Greendale and a rockin' encore set was up there.
The Jam at the Rainbow with the Gift horn section, including bunking the train up from Southend, memories.
The Smiths, The Redskins and Billy Bragg at The Lyceum was show and a half.
Rage Against the Machine when the drinking section fences came down at the Perth Oval Big Day Out about 10 or so years ago.
The first time I saw the Clash at the Lyceum.
Jesus & Mary Chain riot at London Polytecnic (I think) on the Holloway Road back in the feedback audience bating days, mental.
Finally, The Cure have never ever ever dissapointed live and I can't imagine they ever will...., this could go on for pages so I'll leave it there

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Not hi-jacking the thread (much!), but has anybody seen Biffy Clyro live? I've heard them a few times on the radio and bought a ticket for their upcoming show at The Dome and wondered what they're like live?

Cheers :thumbsup:
saw them on London Live over weekend on Foxtel, I thought they were shite but my little brother back in Blighty rates them - he's a dirty motorbike riding rocker though....

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The Cure in the Théâtre antique d'Orange.......awesome.
got the video of that show, wicked. I love it when Robert rips the wig off at the start and every goth in world sighed a collective gasp of shock! Probably the best live band ever - 16 times and counting now, the best....:thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Meteors -- circa 1986 Some shit hole venue near Millwalls ground at an allday psycho festival, where as a young 16 year old i was blown away by the pure violence in the air, which kicked off with millwall fans in the eveing after the gig pure energy.

The Gunabatz -- 1985 in Bolton again the pure energy,aggresssion and it was totally different from anything in the charts at the time.

Morrissey -- Troxy ballroom this year, he was on form.

The Rev Horton Heat -- Phoenix Arizona New years eve 2006 just such a good gig on so many levels for me.

Hank 111 -- A month ago, just surpassed all expectations

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hmm good question.

Have to say my favourite was Therapy? at the Concorde in about what 2004?

Then Bad Manners at the same venue last year. And Martha Reeves. Special mention to The Wildhearts last month as well.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
REM in Cardiff last August.

The gig was originally set for the Millennium Stadium, but was moved for some reason to the Cardiff International Arena, which holds about 5000. Even Michael Stipe said it was a brilliant change for them to play somewhere like that, so many times smaller than the stadia and arenas they're used to these days.

They were on flawless form from start to finish, absolutely brilliant night.

I managed to see REM at the Brixton Academy as a warm up for Glastonbury a couple of years ago. It was a cracking gig. I also saw them support U2 in 1984 but have to confess I dont recall them at all! (well it was at Milton Keynes bowl and it was raining rather heavily when they were on stage!)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Springsteen - Brighton Centre 1981
Jackson Browne - Theatre Royal Dury Lane

Loads of others have been great too, but these two stand out

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
REM .... I also saw them support U2 in 1984 but have to confess I dont recall them at all! (well it was at Milton Keynes bowl and it was raining rather heavily when they were on stage!)

You don't remember it was 1985 either then...? :wink:

They opened with Feeling Gravity's Pull, and most of the set was stuff off Fables of the Reconstruction (not that surprising since it had just been released). I thought they were great, but a certain section of the crowd didn't. They got pelted throughout with plastic bottles full of piss, which didn't go down too well with the band. When they left the stage, Peter Buck said to the crowd "Thanks. It's been a slice..." I don't think he meant that in a complimentary way.

Spear of Destiny and the Ramones were on the bill too. But the crowd seemed oddly indifferent to everything until U2 came on (maybe it was the rain). I remember the only thing that woke everyone up was when the DJ played She Sells Sanctuary, which was in the charts at the time...

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I've seen The Cult numerous times (anyone going to see them perform the whole 'Love' album this saturday in London?) and they can verge from mediocre to the best band in the world. But for sheer power and performance I've never witnessed anything like Rage Against The Machine at the Reading Festival in the late 90's.

I was standing well towards the back of the crowd but the energy and musicianship transcended the whole field that day.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Arctic Monkeys at Komedia.

Yes.

Plus

Wu Tang Clan @ Hammersmith Apollo 2007. All ten minus ODB (rip) showed up and SMAAAAAASHED it
Jay Z @ Hyde Park 2008 - that man DRIPS in swagger juice. Extraordinary
Nine Black Alps @ Glastonbury 2004 - VERY high on summat or other plus excellent performance nearly reduced me to tears

ooh and

Super Furry Animals @ Brighton East Wing prolly about 98 - best band in the world, this is the pick of many performances I've seen by them.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I've seen The Cult numerous times (anyone going to see them perform the whole 'Love' album this saturday in London?) and they can verge from mediocre to the best band in the world.

Seeing them in Eindhoven next week, provided my return flight the same afternoon from the compulsory mother-in-law weekend visit isn't delayed.

To be honest I'm not holding my breath expecting anything great. Having seen a few recent performances on youtube it seems Astbury's voice isn't what it was. And I listened to Love a couple of days ago for the first time in decades to refamiliarise myself with it. It sounded like She Sells Sanctuary, plus nine songs that sound a bit like She Sells Sanctuary, only not as good.

Basically I'm going for the one song, and if they pull that one off, I'll go home happy.

One of the best 12 inch records ever released!!!

"One of the best..." ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here