Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best game ever, on the ZX Spectrum 48k...

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Silent Service... Awesome (my word of the day)

And to think they said: the chances of anything (decent) coming from this 48k thread were a million to one...

But still they come...

ooohhhh laaaaaaa

Kosh

I never had the original rubber key Spectrum 48k. I had the plastic key Spectrum 48k+ right up until the Kempston joystick interface fell out and blew it's memory completely.
The fights which used to happen in the playground over which was better, the speccy or the c64? Then the rich kid who had a BBC micro B would show up and everyone would pick on him instead....ah memories. The speccy had better graphics but the c64 definitely had better colours and sound. It was a close run thing though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have just remembered TRANS AM

Trans_am_3.gif

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I can remember the invincibility cheat, except when you fell into ??hell it just looped so you had to reset the game

Yes that was Poke 35899,0 you could use 1 -32 instead of 0 as the number of lives so if you fell into Entrance to Hades through the bottom of The Security Guard or jumped off the front door or something it would only lose those lives and you wouldnt have to reload the game

There was actually a hidden item to collect in there but you could only get in with writetyper and I forget the room code

Kickstart 2 was my favourite spectrum game

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes that was Poke 35899,0 you could use 1 -32 instead of 0 as the number of lives so if you fell into Entrance to Hades through the bottom of The Security Guard or jumped off the front door or something it would only lose those lives and you wouldnt have to reload the game

Crickey that's impressive I was quite please just remembering the game from 25 years ago

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I used to quite like the adventure games.

There was a Sherlock Holmes game where you could actually do gay things like tell Watson to sit on Holmes' lap (and he would do it) - it was great.

Thanks for the screenshot of the cricket game - entire summer holidays were spent playing that!

The Spectrum magazine rings a bell but I think they got sued after taking the piss out of Sinclair User calling it Unclear User.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Daley Thompsons Decathlon. Wrecked my keyboard !!!

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
In 1985 I used to have a spectrum 48k with a Dktronics keyboard. Gotta say my fave games were Hyper sports, JSW and Alien8.
Lovin' all this nostalgia ...excellent thread.
BTW we're gonna win 2-1 tmw:ascarf:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Obviously as a GIRL in the 1980s, computers weren't really my thing, as they were far too slow, complicated, and would clearly never amount to anything useful in life, either then or in the future.

However, I do believe we owned a Speccy game called BC Bill, in which you controlled a hairy caveman, whose objective, I believe, was essentially to bag a wife (by clubbing her over the head, natch), drag her back to your cave by her hair, and then collect food by whacking it. And avoiding getting eaten by dinosaurs.

I loved it :thumbsup:

1171304539-01.png

Last edited:

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Used to love Sabre Wulf

s_wulf.jpg

and buying the magazines with the maps

SabreWulf-map.jpg

But I think my all time favourite has to be Atic Atac

Atic_Atac_Coverart.jpg

a_med_ATICATAC_1.jpg.jpg

AticAtac-map.jpg

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I loved StarQuake and Knight Lore too, but only completed them (and Skool Daze incidentally) when I got me an Emulator on my Mac a few years ago. The daddy though, the one which ate up all the hours, was Football Manager.

Kevin Toms, I bow down before your greatness.

Edit: May I respectfully recommend worldofspectrum.org as the current 'home' of the Speccy. Loads of emulators, and pretty much all the games downloadable, free, legally, the administrator of the site having gone to great lengths to get distribution permission from the rights holders. In short, it's 8-bitastic.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here