Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best feeling or moment watching the Albion

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was unable to get to that Chesterfield match although I was at the away game that year that was a draw I think.
We lost 1-0 to a late, late goal. Charlie Oatway got sent off for nothing very much :rant:
I got back to my then girlfriend and we split up the next day ... I don't think the events were connected, although you never know

Far too many great Albion moments for me

The draw with Rochdale that got us promotion
Wardy and Spider tearing Walsall apart
Case's goal against Wednesday in the semi (and in the QF too)
Beating Liverpool two years running
Nelson's goal against Brentford
The Fans Utd game against Hartlepool
The brown envelope win against Cheaterfield
The late win against Donny at the new stadium
Vicente's run against Derby
Skalak's goal against QPR

... and that's all before promotion to the EPL and many, many more moments

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
For me it is between Virgo vs Swindon and Ulloa vs forest. I think I will go for Ulloa because this is my son’s first memory of limbs in the lounge.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We lost 1-0 to a late, late goal. Charlie Oatway got sent off for nothing very much :rant:
Ah yes. Unless I am much mistaken and remembering a different season, there was also a fair bit of aggro that day, loads of skinheads (thought skinhead gangs had died out decades before but hey it's up north...) and Cheaterfield goading Brighton fans. I am not going to condone hooliganism, but it was amusing that after they egged our fans on in the stadium, a lot of Brighton ran at them and their crowd ran away and left a massive gap between the halfway line and us.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
So many great moments eez difficult. At the moment I am favouring the wins over Chelsea and if I have to choose it would be the home game. It’s always been a bugbear of mine that we had never beaten them so to do so at home, with Potter on the away bench was just delicious. I can see his face now shocked at the ferocity of the crowd. And it was the first time we had beaten them. You always remember your first time.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
So mAny to choose from, so many great memories…

Wardy’s goal to give us 1-0 win over Manure, Goldstone, ‘82.
Smudger heading us into the lead v Manure, Wembley, 83
Grimsby away, 2-0 down, won 4-2 with last 3 goals in the last 10 mins or so, Blundell Park , 85.
Winning promotion v Brizzle Rovers, Goldstone, 88.
the relief, Hereford, Edgar Street, 97
Consecutive championships , 2001 and 2002.
Swindon play off, and Cardiff Play off final 2004
Wigan at home, 2017….

and lots more since.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I too look back on a very long history of supporting the club I love.
Those Peter Ward days when we were the 'Greatest Team the World has ever seen', except we were in the third tier of the league.
Those promotions, and relegations. Sadly, more relegations than promotions.
So in order-
1976 beating Ipswich and WBA (both 2 tiers above us) in the EFL cup and onwards to Derby County. THAT was the year we changed. THEY are the games I remember where we parked the car and how upset I was after defeat at Derby (on my birthday as well).
1979 drinking the bar dry of Newcastle Amber and sitting on the steps of the away stand for the second half so drunk.
1983 at half time I said to myself, we're one nil up, remember this moment for the rest of your life as it may never get any better.
1997 I wasn't there, work commintments meant missing it, but I know to the inch where I was sat in my van that day listening to the game (Chalkland Rise, Woodingdean).
Then the slow come back, up through the leagues. Games at Wembley and the Millenium saw defeats and victories.
2017 and at last. Wigan and watching with my late Daughter. That eruption of joy watching Huddersfield on the TV in the north stand when the bar ran out of Harveys.
2023, Southampton and Europe. Watching this one with eldest Daughter. Tears flowing, is this the greatest moment.
NO
My greatest moment is my shirt. Going away on holiday over the years and wearing my shirt was a joke in the 70's, but in the 2010's I wear it with pride and walking around some foreign land I hear people say 'Seagulls'. And to see young fans now wearing the shirt and outnumbering those 'big teams' makes me proud to be a fan of our club. That is my best feeling.
And touching land in Europe wearing my shirt, well that's just something else.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
There have been so many... most recently I loved the 1-0 win against Man United with the last minute penalty. Not only was there an eruption of celebrations when that goal went in, but the buzz around the ground as people made their way back to the buses/trains was palpable. The excited chatter amongst fans and their smiling faces as people discussed little old Brighton potentially playing in Europe was something memorable to share..

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Agree completely with Wardy - in particular though in that era in the Taylor/Mullery campaigns when you were in the North Stand, we scored, and you ended up in a different place on the terraces after a surge of celebration.

Promotion year(2016/7) was fantastic - the away end v Birmingham when Glenn’s last minute header went in and his subsequent sprint!!
Similarly Pascal in January at Everton.

So many times last season though when we were simply irresistible - the Chelsea, Liverpool, WH home games in particular.
Mac’s breathtaking goal that never was v Leicester.
That stunning display v City to clinch Europa

Just a fantastic club!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For me, the best feeling was on 6th August 2011, watching the crowds flocking to the stadium before the game. Brought tears to the eyes.
I am sure you are far from alone in citing that feeling. My kids had never experienced Albion being a 'big' club before and people of my generation and before who had, only had fleeting glimpses over the years after our relegation and cup final in 83, ie Liverpool in the cup, the Wembley play-off final and the Division 1 final at Cardiff. They grew up only knowing Withdean and my repetitious tales of a golden past that seemed crammed into just a few short years. When we saw the crowds and the stadium as a backdrop, I had to hold the tears back and my kids were suitably impressed as well. That feeling of seeing the big crowds gathering before the game took a very long time to get used to again after the desperate times we all shared. I think it was several years before our Amex experience became the 'norm' for me and I stopped having to pinch myself. As for the last season, well I am almost certain I have been transported into an alternate reality, a reality I am in no hurry to wake up from!

Reactions: GOM

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Getting to watch us in the honest to God Premier League with my Dad, shortly before he died. He took me to my first game at the Goldstone (a 0-2 defeat to Bournemouth). Getting to take him to our beautiful new ground and see us win in the Premier League was the stuff of dreams.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I still get a bit dewie eyed about staying up in 1981, we’d almost looked dead and buried then won our last four games, Palace and Sunderland away and home wins against Leicester and Leeds. (It was also the last time Albion got 2 points for a win)

But I’d also concur with both the final whistles at Hereford and Wigan at home in 2017. 👍

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Maybe recency bias, but the Macallister penalty against Utd was just pure, incredible, ludicrous football theatre. You could write that in a script and people would say it was too far fetched (following as it did the preceeding 3.5 hours without a goal in open play, the FA cup penalty heartbreak, Mac leaving, the stature of the opposition, what it meant for our chances in Europe, the last kick in the 98th minute etc etc). Never heard a noise like that celebration. Thought I was going to have a heart attack!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I too look back on a very long history of supporting the club I love.
Those Peter Ward days when we were the 'Greatest Team the World has ever seen', except we were in the third tier of the league.
Those promotions, and relegations. Sadly, more relegations than promotions.
So in order-
1976 beating Ipswich and WBA (both 2 tiers above us) in the EFL cup and onwards to Derby County. THAT was the year we changed. THEY are the games I remember where we parked the car and how upset I was after defeat at Derby (on my birthday as well).
1979 drinking the bar dry of Newcastle Amber and sitting on the steps of the away stand for the second half so drunk.
1983 at half time I said to myself, we're one nil up, remember this moment for the rest of your life as it may never get any better.
1997 I wasn't there, work commintments meant missing it, but I know to the inch where I was sat in my van that day listening to the game (Chalkland Rise, Woodingdean).
Then the slow come back, up through the leagues. Games at Wembley and the Millenium saw defeats and victories.
2017 and at last. Wigan and watching with my late Daughter. That eruption of joy watching Huddersfield on the TV in the north stand when the bar ran out of Harveys.
2023, Southampton and Europe. Watching this one with eldest Daughter. Tears flowing, is this the greatest moment.
NO
My greatest moment is my shirt. Going away on holiday over the years and wearing my shirt was a joke in the 70's, but in the 2010's I wear it with pride and walking around some foreign land I hear people say 'Seagulls'. And to see young fans now wearing the shirt and outnumbering those 'big teams' makes me proud to be a fan of our club. That is my best feeling.
And touching land in Europe wearing my shirt, well that's just something else.
This is a great post but I think you have forgotten which decade we are in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here