Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best European ground to visit for a game….

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Cologne fits the bill because it is a great city to visit with so much Roman history and being a University city a lively nightlife, great bars particularly near the Riverside. Great Tram links from the city centre to the RhineEnergie (sp?) Stadium makes the journey so easy.

Another thumbs up for Cologne.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Royal Union is my favourite from long before Tony’s involvement. The frontage of the stadium dates from 1920. Beautiful place, raucous crowd.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Another vote for the North Rhine-Westphalia region of Germany. Base yourself in Düsseldorf or Cologne and you’re pretty much within an hour’s train ride from a whole host of well known Bundesliga clubs (and some decent second tier clubs too). Makes it almost rude not to take in 2 or 3 games in a weekend depending on how the fixtures fall.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone been to Sociedad’s new ground? I really fancy the Sociedad/Bilbao Basque derby - sounds like a great occasion.

Many years ago I went to Hajduk Split, wasn’t quite sure who they were playing as it was all in Serbo-Croat. Turned out to be Red Star Belgrade - was very glad to be in the posh seats - never seen so much fighting at a football ground!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Another vote for the North Rhine-Westphalia region of Germany. Base yourself in Düsseldorf or Cologne and you’re pretty much within an hour’s train ride from a whole host of well known Bundesliga clubs (and some decent second tier clubs too). Makes it almost rude not to take in 2 or 3 games in a weekend depending on how the fixtures fall.

Shalke 4 also near here. Nice ground and great atmosphere. Has a roof like Wimbledon and a slide out pitch

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Stadio Diego Armando Maradona is worth considering. Saw Napoli vs Atalanta there a few years ago, and Naples is decent for a weekend break.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
yes it’s purely a football weekend with my son, brother in law and nephew….

couple of games over the weekend would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Germany. Been to about 12 of the stadiums (Kaiserslautern, schalke, dortmund, Frankfurt, Mainz, Leverkusen, Düsseldorf, cologne, Duisburg, sv trier (when they were in a higher league),

Best was koln v Frankfurt (done it in both their stadiums).

Kaiserslautern if playing karlstruhe is very tasty one too.

Do not go to schalke, it’s like living in the 1960s.

So would recommend koln (easy to get ticket), and near by is Leverkusen if playing different time can go to both. Also Mainz is pretty good, and near by but not as close as Leverkusen. Koln city itself is one of the better ones in Germany too, it’s their stag capital.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
WOW thanks all…. lots to look at and decide what one to go to….

looking around weekend of 8/9th april so guess gotta see who’s home and go from there…..

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
Great thread this.

Been to a few, so I’ll throw in a couple of recommendations….

Porto, decent city, cheap to get to and not too far to Braga (ground with the rock faces) easy train links.

Germany, echo everything said before. Transport is so efficient, defo North Rhine-Westphalia region as stated. Düsseldorf or cologne to stay. Went to watch Rot-Weiss Essen last time during covid times, they were in a regional league but have been promoted since. Easy 10 teams to pick from over a weekend so you’ll get a couple of games in…

Poland, Legia one of the best atmospheres I’ve been in a ground. Would like to do the Krakow derby at some point.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
WOW thanks all…. lots to look at and decide what one to go to….

looking around weekend of 8/9th april so guess gotta see who’s home and go from there…..

Check out Bundesliga Matchday 27 for that weekends fixtures, all subject to change for TV of course.
Cologne are away though.

However the drug pushers Leverkusen are home, there is a BHAFC/ Leverkusen group who may be able to help with advice about tickets.

Last edited:

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Check out Bundesliga Matchday 27 for that weekends fixtures, all subject to change for TV of course.
Cologne are away though

yeh i noticed that…. it’s only cos don’t mind missing spurs away done that few times and so has my son, so trying to look what other bhafc game i don’t mind missing maybe 13th may

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
yeh i noticed that…. it’s only cos don’t mind missing spurs away done that few times and so has my son, so trying to look what other bhafc game i don’t mind missing maybe 13th may

Leverkusen is an easy trip from Cologne and you could get the best of both by visiting Cologne Zoo to see Hennes the Cologne Goat before goingto see the drug pushers play.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If you do go to Gelsenkirchen you can visit both our previous grounds which still stand. Glückauf-Kampfbahn is on your left as you pass on the tram from the Station. The Parkstadion is used for junior games and is around the back of the current stadium complex. Allow time also for a visit to the Zollverein mine in Essen as well, tours in English on Saturdays.

Zollverein is well worth a visit.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Leverkusen very easy to get tickets but not a patch on Koln, schalke, Dortmund for atmosphere.

Essen, Oberhausen, Bochum, Wuppertal, Aachen, Wattenscield all worthy of a visit when fixtures pan out too.

I’m off there in a few weeks and looking like Bielefeld v Karlsruhe Friday night, maybe Munster Saturday early game and then Aachen and some tier 6/7 after.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I’ve not been to many but Roma and Hertha Berlin were interesting as ex Olympic stadia and in great cities.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just expanding on my recommendation for Union Berlin - we went 8 years ago when they were in the Bundesliga 2. It was an evening game in November. A dark walk from the S-Bahn station, through a wood, and ultimately arriving at the ground - could have been quite scary, but the atmosphere was incredibly friendly. In the ground, 3 sides were standing, and these were absolutely bouncing. Non-stop singing from the 1st to 90th minute (despite the opposition winning 1-0....in fact, the singing didn't miss a beat, even when they scored). Bars at the back of the stands selling beer which you could drink on the terraces. Incredible!

P1060473.jpeg

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
This thread has been incredibly helpful can’t believe how many different grounds people have been to, definitely a huge insight into european games……

have noticed lazio are at home to juventus on weekend i’m thinking of going……

anyone got any experience on Stadio Olimpico

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
This thread has been incredibly helpful can’t believe how many different grounds people have been to, definitely a huge insight into european games……

have noticed lazio are at home to juventus on weekend i’m thinking of going……

anyone got any experience on Stadio Olimpico

Best advice I have is that the " Seagulls salute" that time at Millwall would go down well with the locals. I wonder if they read the sun

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here