Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Coin Op Arcade Game??

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
There was a sit in booth number on the Palace Pier, as was. Can't remember what it was called, but it was about flying a Star Wars X-Wing fighter and shooting out blocks on the tops of columns. If you got to the last section, you had to drop a bomb down a shaft, to blow up the whole shebang. Would of been early/mid nineties, and the graphics were of the time. Was a game I actually got good at :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Out Run........(magical sound shower on the radio)
I was a 1943 Battle of Midway chap, along with the 'sit in' Star Wars.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Paperboy - my mate found a cheat where if you skidded through a gap in the fence you'd get a crazy amount of extra lives, we used to spend ages on it for the price of one go.
Missile Command - was that the one where you had to control the crosshair with a ball and take out all the missiles falling from above? I loved that one.
Star Wars - the one with the vector graphics.
Pacland - very frustrating game.
.... and of course, Space Invaders!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Paperboy - my mate found a cheat where if you skidded through a gap in the fence you'd get a crazy amount of extra lives, we used to spend ages on it for the price of one go.
Missile Command - was that the one where you had to control the crosshair with a ball and take out all the missiles falling from above? I loved that one.
Star Wars - the one with the vector graphics.
Pacland - very frustrating game.
.... and of course, Space Invaders!
If it was good enough for John Connor....

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Going off topic a bit...

Dragon's Lair was utter turnip. All that hoopla because it was animated but essentially boiled down to hitting left or right every three seconds. Yawn!

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Spy hunter
star wars
pac man
paperboy
bombjack
double dragon
golden axe
Street fighter
mortal kombat

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
Bubble Bobble (with cheats for power up and original game)
Pac Land
Football Champ
Major Title Golf
Hyper Sports
Wardener
Punch Out (Glass Joe, Bald Bull, Kid Quick, Pizza Pasta, Mr Sandman, think there were others too)
Karate Champ
Circus Charlie
Pang

Total misspent youth!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I like to think my hours on end on Super Sprint made me unbeatable on Super Mario Karts years later. There was another 3-player driving game down West Street in which i beat brief hip hop stars 3rd Bass. They were supporting Public Enemy and i was killing time, as a 14 year old, down the arcades when they strutted in in their hardcore New Yorker fashion, a few hours before i saw them take the stage. In the same arcade after the gig, some random little grunt with a large mate punched me in the face for no particular reason. Swings and roundabouts i suppose.

geniarse

Jan 2, 2012
Has got to be Defender for me. I wasn't very good at it but one of my mates was a legend. He would let me take over when he was about to 'clock' it as everything thing killed gave another life and smart bomb. Awesome.

This is what it looks like!! (6 mins 25 sec)

http://youtu.be/CzPDIvlvdyw

D

Deleted member 22389

I can. I remember doing similar ray-tracing on the ST using a program free with a magazine - you had to set up all the images using 2D top, front and rear views and then wait all night for the actual image to be calculated. I'm sure you can imagine how many times a worthwhile image was produced, even if the program didn't crash half-way through.

Brilliant. We where a lot more patient with computers back then. If I remember rightly the Atari ST had a midi port for keyboards which is what the Amiga lacked. They where both as good as each other for creating music, but ST won the game for real music production. ST and Amiga two of the finest computers, I miss them. I know they have tried to bring the Amiga back a few times, but it just hasn't happened for them.

What they managed to create on 512k and 1mb is really hard to compute these days, whilst I sit here on a laptop with 2gb memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Has got to be Defender for me. I wasn't very good at it but one of my mates was a legend. He would let me take over when he was about to 'clock' it as everything thing killed gave another life and smart bomb. Awesome.

This is what it looks like!! (6 mins 25 sec)

http://youtu.be/CzPDIvlvdyw

Surely the best weapon sound effects for any shoot 'em up!

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Gauntlet - best multi play and a complete bun fight when the food appears, every man or elf, wizard etc for himself

Used to love playing Gauntlet. You'd be playing & suddenly hear things like "Wizard needs food badly", "That was a heroic effort!", "I've not seen such bravery". Lol

My 5, in no particular order: Gauntlet, Donkey Kong, Pacman, Time Pilot, Asteroids

I accept games of today are a million times better/clever etc, but give me the 80s retro games any day.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Track and Field (javelin 43 - hammer 45)
Scramble
Bubble Bobble

and one for the Ninjas out there

Shinobi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here