Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Best bank/building society?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm looking to leave my current bank, I've heard good things about Halifax and Nationwide...

Just wondering if anyone else has switched recently?

May 15, 2022
When I worked for the CAB a few years back my abiding memory of banks was steer clear of Santander, personally have had many nationwide accounts over the years and no issues at all.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
If your looking at Nationwide then they have a £200 cash back for switching on the flexdirect currently. They all do the same thing pretty much nowadays dont they. Give you little interest and an app. Unless your looking for one on the high street local

Currently switching to them now. I make it a grand in 7 years now i have earnt by switching banks , they are not loyal to me so im not to them

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Starling.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Pretty much commodotised products/services now ... they all do the same thing and when they work they are fine, when anything goes wrong they are all gash. In saying that First Direct still score highest from a customer satisfaction perspective

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Same here. Natwest have decided to close their Uckfield branch, something we knew was on the cards for years, and now I need a local branch of a bank to be able to walk in to.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have used The Coventry BS for a number of years now. They are brilliant. I can call them on the phone and can speak to a human being within a couple of mins.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve been with First Direct since they started. Always excellent customer service at their call centres, without having to go through zzzzzzzz menu options and they actually speak clear English.

Starling are rated the best bank by Which.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I recently moved my business account from Rats Nest who aren't great after moving there from Barclays (awful awful bank) years ago, over to Monzo.

If you want an on line account, they are brilliant. Great app, website and service.

Have another account with Starling and they're good too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Starling …use them for both business and personal app works really well and on the few times I’ve needed to use customer services they’ve been efficient and friendly ….although do use a Santander 123 for bills they pay cash back on….

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
If you don't need to pay in cash/cheques regularly then I'd definitely go down the Monzo/Starling route for current account. Their banks are designed around app usage and everything is so much more seamless than most high street banks, plus they are great for using abroad - no charges and MasterCard exchange rates. Both are pretty good for customer service I think as well, though it's all done through the app rather than speaking to someone.

They don't have good interest rates in savings, or switching bonuses though.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They mostly all will treat you badly when you need their help the most. Computer says "kick them when they are down and levy the highest charges on those least able to pay".

I'd just judge them on who has the nearest most convenient branch which is still open.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Midland/HSBC - for letting me steal a living for nearly 37 years, whilst doing about 20 years’ worth of work

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I changed to Virgin Money last year and they've been pretty good. The debit card is free to use overseas which is handy.
They pay decent interest on the current account up to £1,000 and give you a savings account paying the same interest. They have a sweep facility so as you spend the balance is maintained by moving funds from savings to current account, assuming you have the necessary funds!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here