Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bertie ahern resigns

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern has announced he is to resign in May.

Mr Ahern, 56, has been taoiseach since June 1997 and has been a member of the Irish Parliament for 31 years.

The announcement comes a day after Mr Ahern began a court challenge to limit the work of a public inquiry probing planning corruption in the 1990s.

The tribunal is probing Mr Ahern's personal finances. Mr Ahern has been leader of Fianna Fáil since 1994 and heads the coalition government.

Mr Ahern has been the most successful politician in the Republic of Ireland since Eamon De Valera, winning three elections. He is Ireland's second longest serving taoiseach.

He will be remembered for his role in the negotiations leading up to the Good Friday Agreement of 1998.

When the talks at Stormont were in their crucial final stages, he returned from his mother's funeral to rejoin the negotiations.

Speaking as he announced his resignation at a news conference in Dublin, Mr Ahern said: "The Good Friday Agreement now provides the political framework for the island to meet its full political potential."

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
…a public inquiry probing planning corruption...

My Dad's a builder. He went to Dublin and all he bought me was this lousy taoiseach.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm a bit worried that MYOB hasn't posted on this thread yet.

Do you think he's okay?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here