Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bernie from Hove

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Another report on this BRILLIANT old fella :clap2:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/07/d-day-veteran-france-anniversary-bernard-jordan

It was the story that knocked the speeches of world leaders and royalty off the front pages this weekend: the second world war veteran who refused to miss the D-day commemorations and staged a "great escape" from his care home to join his compatriots on the beaches of Normandy.

On Saturday, Bernard Jordan returned, not to the telling-off he feared, but to a hero's welcome and a cup of tea at The Pines nursing home in Hove, East Sussex, after his jaunt across the Channel, which led to a police search for him. "I had a good time, every minute of it. I'm pleased I did it. I'd do it again tomorrow," he said as he disembarked from an overnight ferry at Portsmouth.

Enjoying his tea in the sitting room on Saturday and reunited with his wife Irene, the former mayor and long-serving town councillor had a fine view of the media scrum outside the front gates and of the staff answering the stream of phone calls from wellwishers.

"He's really tired out and just putting his feet up. He's had quite an adventure, bless him," said a Pines carer. "He's pleased to be back, and we're pleased to see him."

Staff had tried, and failed, to get Jordan a place on a Royal British Legion trip to the 70th anniversary of the D-day landings – he took part in Operation Overlord as a Royal Navy officer. So on Thursday morning, wearing a grey raincoat to hide the medals pinned to his best suit, he slipped out of the home, headed for Brighton station and caught a train to Portsmouth.

On the dockside he found a party of veterans and hitched a ride on a ferry. By the time staff called Sussex police over their missing resident, Jordan had checked into a hotel in Ouistreham. Officers had started a search before the home received a call from another veteran who had met Jordan en route and reported him safe and well. Sussex police said they had spoken to the old serviceman and would have a chat with him "to check he is OK".

Next week marks Jordan's 90th birthday, but he intends to be back in Normandy for 6 June 2015. A lifelong Hove resident and keen Brighton and Hove Albion fan, he spent much of his adult life in local politics, serving as mayor from 1995 to 1996 and causing a stir in 2001 when he switched allegiance from the Conservatives to Labour. He said that his wife knew about his trip and supported him.

Steve Tuckwell, of Brittany Ferries, said Jordan enjoyed a fried breakfast during the seven-hour crossing. "For a 90-year-old man, he had a healthy appetite. He's a tremendous fellow, we loved having him on board. He was picked up by one of our staff who found him wandering around, she took him under her wing, took him up to the bridge and treated him royally, and he won the hearts of the crew. We adopted him as an honorary veteran and we will give him free travel to the Normandy beaches for the rest of his life. He's a lovely, lovely guy: when he came off, the crew all clapped him."

He said that Jordan met a group of singers called the Candy Girls during the crossing and added: "He's got a lot of charm with the ladies, but I understand he has a wife."

Jordan's niece, Susan Knowles, told Sky News that her uncle had a history of not letting his age get in the way of his travels. "Last time I saw him was at a family funeral that he made his way down to, and we were all quite amazed that he'd made his way to Bournemouth to this family funeral, on the train, on his own. He just came walking up and we were quite surprised to see him there.

"If he's determined to do something he will."

The home said it was "definitely not the case" that the veteran was banned from attending the D-Day events. Peter Curtis, chief executive of Gracewell Healthcare, which runs The Pines, said staff were tremendously proud of Jordan's war record: "Mr Jordan has full capacity, which means that he can come and go from the home as he pleases, which he does on most days. At no stage was he banned from going to the commemorations."

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A man with balls as big as his deserves respect, gets off his arse at 89 and toddles off to France for the day, absolute hero in my eyes no matter what kind of politics. I wish our club would offer him a top class ticket or two if he so wanted.

Great idea. Get him in the directors box with his wife and family, free drinks and a slap up meal.

The words hero and legend get thrown around too easily these days but this old boy showed the will and tenacity to embark on a trip that at his grand old age would have taken alot out of him.

I'm sure he didnt seek this attention but I'm glad his story has touched so many around the world because for me this guy is a relic of a time when people were selfless and respectful of their fellow man, at his age it would have beeen far more sensible to watch the ceremony on the tele but he wanted to pay his respects to his fellow soldiers and friends. Top, top bloke

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Great idea. Get him in the directors box with his wife and family, free drinks and a slap up meal.

The words hero and legend get thrown around too easily these days but this old boy showed the will and tenacity to embark on a trip that at his grand old age would have taken alot out of him.

I'm sure he didnt seek this attention but I'm glad his story has touched so many around the world because for me this guy is a relic of a time when people were selfless and respectful of their fellow man, at his age it would have beeen far more sensible to watch the ceremony on the tele but he wanted to pay his respects to his fellow soldiers and friends. Top, top bloke
I've already posted in Ask The Club. He definitely deserves it.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
He might have to explain this to her!

image_update_img.jpg

Superb. He's a hero and deserves any one of them

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Superb. He's a hero and deserves any one of them

Hero, yes, but I suspect the wife would be one challenge too many on that account...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The old boy who sneaked off to go to Normandy is 90 next week. If you wanted to send him a birthday card, address it to:
Mr Bernard Jordan
The Pines
Furze Hill
Hove
BN3 1PA

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bless.
That story really cheered me up at the time. "Do not go gentle into that good night", as the Welsh bard said :thumbsup:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It goes without saying that The Argus have managed to make a complete hash of their attempt at a story!

"Tributes have been paid to a plucky war hero who captured the hearts of the nation last summer with a secret dash to Normandy following his death."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here