[Football] Bernado to Salzburg

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pleased to see him off, hopefully he will do well in Austria. The defensive record with him in the lineup, regardless of CH and GP, tells me he isnt a Premier League player and probably never will be, but should be able to have a nice career anyway. RB Salzburg is not a bad team to begin with.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pleased to see him off, hopefully he will do well in Austria. The defensive record with him in the lineup, regardless of CH and GP, tells me he isnt a Premier League player and probably never will be, but should be able to have a nice career anyway. RB Salzburg is not a bad team to begin with.

Played well under Hughton, didn’t play so well under Potter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Did you watch him under CH?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So he leaves a side in a relegation battle and moves to a side where he’ll play in the Champions League.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

It is the best move all round. Overall he’s not good enough for the Premier League.

Great athlete but really poor positionally from a defensive point of view and his distribution is not good at all. They are the main reasons why Potter has preferred Burn since he came in. Burn has his faults but Potter can trust him a lot more.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It is the best move all round. Overall he’s not good enough for the Premier League.

Great athlete but really poor positionally from a defensive point of view and his distribution is not good at all. They are the main reasons why Potter has preferred Burn since he came in. Burn has his faults but Potter can trust him a lot more.

Isn't our Head Coach good enough to improve those negative aspects of his game, then? He was certainly good enough defensively under Chris Hughton, rewrite history if you and others want to but he was very good in the second half of Hughton's final season. The defence kept us in the Premier League and he was one fifth of it. Potter hasn't really given Bernardo a chance in relation to Burn, for whatever reason.

It's another example of the club backing the manager though, as it should be. It's a shame because I think Bernardo's a good player and he'll do well at Salzburg, but you have to back your manager and give him the tools. If he continues not winning matches then he's only got himself to blame.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Isn't our Head Coach good enough to improve those negative aspects of his game, then? He was certainly good enough defensively under Chris Hughton, rewrite history if you and others want to but he was very good in the second half of Hughton's final season. The defence kept us in the Premier League and he was one fifth of it. Potter hasn't really given Bernardo a chance in relation to Burn, for whatever reason.

It's another example of the club backing the manager though, as it should be. It's a shame because I think Bernardo's a good player and he'll do well at Salzburg, but you have to back your manager and give him the tools. If he continues not winning matches then he's only got himself to blame.

Yep. I get your point. I prefer Burn at Left back to Bernardo... even though he should not be playing there unless we are short.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Good post and I get your point.

But even in Hughton's last season I thought at times he showed he was limited. That was such a backs to the wall exercise for the second half of the season I think all of the defenders looked like they were doing well (Duffy getting player of the season in the end) because they were in the game all the time. All of the defence and keeper came out of that season in the end with credit because we were totally reliant on them as there was nothing going on in front of them.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So he leaves a side in a relegation battle and moves to a side where he’ll play in the Champions League.

Maltese teams get to play in the champions league. (Not for long however)but you get my point.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Another who's sorry to see him go, the few games I have seen him play in I thought he played well. I remember him coming on at W Ham a couple of seasons ago when we were under the cosh from Antonio and he totally nullified him. Hope he does well at Saltzburg

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yep. I get your point. I prefer Burn at Left back to Bernardo... even though he should not be playing there unless we are short.

What is your argument for Burn over Bernardo? Not being argumentative, just curious about your thinking. I like Burn's athleticism, but it's flawed by his usually hopeless attempt at a cross or killer pass.

But even in Hughton's last season I thought at times he showed he was limited. That was such a backs to the wall exercise for the second half of the season I think all of the defenders looked like they were doing well (Duffy getting player of the season in the end) because they were in the game all the time. All of the defence and keeper came out of that season in the end with credit because we were totally reliant on them as there was nothing going on in front of them.

I wouldn't argue the team wasn't set up for the benefit of Duffy and Dunk, and by association Bernardo and Bruno and alliteration free Maty Ryan behind them all. We weren't good going the other way, but Hughton's fear of the Premier League had set in by then and it was very much all out defence mode for the last months of the season. I did feel like we saw plenty from Bernardo to suggest he could have added more going forward in a more progressive team, but it's easy to seem capable of doing more - much harder to actually become that player.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yet we still win games and stayed up.....

I agree though in some respects that because we sat deeper, they shone more and that included Bernardo. Montoya and Bong (when Bernardo was injured) were bigger problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here