Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Advice Please

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Train or taxi into City?

We got the S-Bahn, as our hotel was right near an S-Bahn station.
Took 30 minutes. Was a piece of piss.
Their trains are MUCH more organised than here in the UK.

Regarding price, we bought the 'Berlin Welcome Card'.
Can't remember the price (about £20). You get unlimited train, underground, bus and tram travel for 3 days.
You then also get a discount on all the main "attractions", as well as restaurants, fast food, etc.
Not sure if you'll need it going in a big group, as you can probably already get discounts,
but would definitely recommend it for smaller groups.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Superb Meal at a great German restaurant called MarjEllen , then back to our hotel (Hyatt at Potsdamplaza) which has a fantastic roof terrace where we could watch the simply STUNNING City Wide firework display. Do all German families do their own display? Thats what it seemed like. Amazing. (We didn't fancy the Pet Shop Boys who were on at the Brandenburg Gate, far too packed.)

Then back out to a bar near the hotel, followed by a few drinks at the 'we never close' Christmas bars that sell great Bratwurst too.

We had a great time, and thanks to all who posted on theis thread for your help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do all German families do their own display? Thats what it seemed like.

Pretty much. It's a big part of the new year. People let them off in the streets, squares, their balconies in fact no where is immune.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Pretty much. It's a big part of the new year. People let them off in the streets, squares, their balconies in fact no where is immune.

Yes, that's what we found.

Everywhere we went on NYE from about 4pm onwards had them.

It was great to see, lots of Families out in the streets having totally unorganised fun. It really was typically unGerman!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Check out Prenzlauer Berg north of Mitte, cool part of town. Berlin is still cheap but changing fast and property prices are rocketing..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Any tips on the Olympic Stadium, such as the best areas to sit (well stand hopefully)? I presume the hardcore are behind one of the goals? Is the away end any good?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Any tips on the Olympic Stadium, such as the best areas to sit (well stand hopefully)? I presume the hardcore are behind one of the goals?

Yes, the hardcore Hertha fans are behind one goal, to the right of main stand/dugouts as you look at the pitch ie not the end with the gap for the Olympic flame; plenty of flags, flares and singing. Away fans at opposite end. You get a good view of it in that shite St George's Day film that is now on Sky Movies. If you go in mid-winter dress up very warm, and drink and eat lots. Entrance, beer and bratwurst are all cheap, and you'd be fine in either side stand too.

Might I also recommend a trip to see the 'second club' of the city Union Berlin. Other side of city (south-east), small ground but full, usually 18-20,000, three sides standing (packed terraces). Great atmosphere, and I will guarantee you will feel some nostalgia for how football used to be over here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any tips on the Olympic Stadium, such as the best areas to sit (well stand hopefully)? I presume the hardcore are behind one of the goals? Is the away end any good?

Use the s-Bahn to get to and from the ground, not the u-Bahn. The s-Bahn has been enlarged to 10 platforms to handle large crowds. The u only has a single platform. Your match ticket will get you to and from the stadium and also double as a city wide travel card until 4am the next day-this is written in English on the reverse of the ticket.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
100_0773.jpg

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, the hardcore Hertha fans are behind one goal, to the right of main stand/dugouts as you look at the pitch ie not the end with the gap for the Olympic flame; plenty of flags, flares and singing. Away fans at opposite end. You get a good view of it in that shite St George's Day film that is now on Sky Movies. If you go in mid-winter dress up very warm, and drink and eat lots. Entrance, beer and bratwurst are all cheap, and you'd be fine in either side stand too.

Might I also recommend a trip to see the 'second club' of the city Union Berlin. Other side of city (south-east), small ground but full, usually 18-20,000, three sides standing (packed terraces). Great atmosphere, and I will guarantee you will feel some nostalgia for how football used to be over here.

Thanks! Only there for 3 days I'm afraid and Union are away at Bochum.

Tempted by the away end as Bremen are my German team as I used to go there a lot as a kid to visit family. Not sure if they get a rubbish place in the ground though and it doesn't really matter! Will probably be easier to arrange tickets in the home end.

Going in December to get in on the Christmas market action too. I imagine the thermals will get an outing! Just downloaded St George's Day - cheers!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Use the s-Bahn to get to and from the ground, not the u-Bahn. The s-Bahn has been enlarged to 10 platforms to handle large crowds. The u only has a single platform. Your match ticket will get you to and from the stadium and also double as a city wide travel card until 4am the next day-this is written in English on the reverse of the ticket.

Wow. Given the price of the ticket as well, that's awesome!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here