Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bent loan to derby done deal!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
How can people 'not be fussed'? He's a proven goalscorer, who would have bagged plenty of goals for us to see us through this season. Whatever you think of our permanent strikers, they are hardly prolific. A big loss, imho.

I agree. We don't have and are unlikely to sign anyone of his calibre.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how many goals Bent has to score in his first 5 games with Derby before we are treated too a non ironic:-

'well he never did that with us'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How can people 'not be fussed'? He's a proven goalscorer, who would have bagged plenty of goals for us to see us through this season. Whatever you think of our permanent strikers, they are hardly prolific. A big loss, imho.

I thought he went missing in the Millwall game and I wasn't convinced by his injury against Reading when we were 2-0 down. I'd rather have a less talented player who put 100% effort in.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Are palace fans not meant to just post on specific palace topics - genuine question as I thought this was agreed?

We seem to have a palace fans view on every thread on this board at the moment - bit irritating imo... We don't need to have palace fans bringing palace into every thread we have do we? It also often causes thread to go off topic...

I'm not meaning to be fussy but there's about 3 threads at the top of the board with them posting - one is on Seb Bassong - I mean reeeealllllyyyyyy? [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]
Hasn't he been linked to us ? ( on here mainly ) so I think it's a thread we can post on without being grassed .

SomeDerbyFan

May 3, 2014
We're all pretty happy with this, gives us the plan B that we haven't had with Leon f*cking Best on the bench.

A front two of Bent and Martin doesn't sound too bad at all :sheep:

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Bit of a shame. It was obvious how much opposition defences hated playing against him and he clearly knew how to score goals. That said, he is probably on a big wage and so a risk for anyone in the Championship to buy/long-term loan if he is likely to get injured. There is a good chance that Derby were simply prepared to pay more than us which, for Villa, is probably the only factor.

I think we were trying to be a bit clever with Bent, and with loans in general. FFP means that clubs may be asked to reduce the wage bill in January. If you can do this immediately by returning loanees then you can have expensive players that 'break' the rules without having to suffer the transfer embargo. Possibly.

I'm surprised that Villa haven't tried to sell Bent outright. They must feel that nobody would buy him which also suggests he is on top-whack wages.

Good luck to him though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought he went missing in the Millwall game and I wasn't convinced by his injury against Reading when we were 2-0 down. I'd rather have a less talented player who put 100% effort in.
He was here to score the goals to earn him the biggest possible contract somewhere in the Summer.

DB must have realised early on, every game he played for us was costing him 10's of thousands of pounds.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hasn't he been linked to us ? ( on here mainly ) so I think it's a thread we can post on without being grassed .

Nope there's another thread on you losing out to Derby as you well know. And nobodies grassing it's called having enough of the boring ****ers who polute this message board with the same old tedious bollocks. The amount of thumbs up my post has already had suggests others agree. And btw my post wasn't requiring comment from you and I do not wish to discuss anything with you, so kindly refrain from quoting me.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Disappointing but a reality check. Why would he come to us when he could go to a team playing good football and who are going to be competing for an automatic promotion slot.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Amazed people are not fussed, he is goal scorer pure and simple. A fully fit Darren bent will score for fun in the championship.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
He was here to score the goals to earn him the biggest possible contract somewhere in the Summer.

DB must have realised early on, every game he played for us was costing him 10's of thousands of pounds.

Exactly this. He should score a hatful for Derby and good chance he'll get them back in the PL.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Not a massive loss IMO

Capture.JPG

but it's norwich and palace fans who are deluded....

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Groin strain ??? Bent should have had his wages deducted.

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Logical move for him as he probably lives in the Midlands so easy travel each day and getting promoted with Derby will probably bring him another lucrative contract.

Absolutely (or I suppose, 'this').

Loan to end of the season and then a permanent deal plus signing on fee when his contract expires at the end of the season - provided Derby are promoted. The Mail online says we were paying £18K of his £65K per week salary. Phew!
If true (it is the Mail, after all, so probably not), are we now offering more competitve wages?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Murray,Bent etc etc will cost shed loads of money,and i don't think we will make that kind of investment.IMO we will look abroad again or which is my choice,look to the lower leagues again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here