Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
What sad news. Like many on here I could never work out if he was on a massive wind up or really believed in what he said. If it was a wind up then he was brilliant at it, if it wasn't then what a character.

There aren't many like him on NSC, and were all the poorer for his passing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I'm so very sad to hear this. One of my favourite all time posters on here. I had the pleasure of meeting him at MK Dons away a few years back and he was a true gent.

NSC won't seem the same without him. May he RIP

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
BG was the only member who was instantly identifiable by what he wrote before the user name was noticed. He had a penchant for long sentences and a strong opinion (same as most others) mixed with a slight innocence and self effacing nature. It was an unusual mix in which he stood out. A bit like where a theologian would recognise the style of a gospel writer and identify them through their flow and imputation of character in their language.

His struggles with IT, which I identify with, were legendary. His simple view of cricket was something that, being a bat 'n 'ball know it all, I was always happy to assist with. My only irritation was his love of the 'Football Rumours' pages that showed his naivety where transfers were concerned. However, he was just like the rest of us during a transfer window, wanting to believe that the next little Ronaldo was coming.

I always sensed that at heart he was a gentle and emotional soul. I liked him being here, he was the Father of the Forum. Old School, but not given to polemic (which is a sign of values and standards in the modern age) and certainly not as myopic as some of the young turks may have felt.

Thanks BG, the NSC armchair is now vacant. It'll be tough to fill it too.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
BG was the only member who was instantly identifiable by what he wrote before the user name was noticed. He had a penchant for long sentences and a strong opinion (same as most others) mixed with a slight innocence and self effacing nature. It was an unusual mix in which he stood out. A bit like where a theologian would recognise the style of a gospel writer and identify them through their flow and imputation of character in their language.

His struggles with IT, which I identify with, were legendary. His simple view of cricket was something that, being a bat 'n 'ball know it all, I was always happy to assist with. My only irritation was his love of the 'Football Rumours' pages that showed his naivety where transfers were concerned. However, he was just like the rest of us during a transfer window, wanting to believe that the next little Ronaldo was coming.

I always sensed that at heart he was a gentle emotional soul. I liked him being here, he was the Father of the Forum. Old School, but not given to polemic (which is a sign of values and standards in the modern age) and certainly not as myopic as some of the young turks may have felt.

Thanks BG, the NSC armchair is now vacant. It'll be tough to fill it too.
Great post. Yes his obsession with football rumours was irritating to say the least but that was BG all over and part of who he was on here.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Condolences & Best wishes to you & all your families. NSC will be a poorer place without his contributions

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Isn't it funny how you you can feel such sadness at the passing of someone you've never met? I'll keep a fond thought for him.

in-memoriam.jpg

theboybilly

RIP BG, off that roundabout in Haywards Heath at last eh?
I could trawl through many threads without looking at each poster but I always seemed to know when it was BG, I just did. I should take a bit more from his style in my Social Media interactions: be nice, be friendly, take the mick but don't take life too seriously. I'll miss him now just as I felt I was getting to know him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
RIP BG, off that roundabout in Haywards Heath at last eh?
I could trawl through many threads without looking at each poster but I always seemed to know when it was BG, I just did. I should take a bit more from his style in my Social Media interactions: be nice, be friendly, take the mick but don't take life too seriously. I'll miss him now just as I felt I was getting to know him.

Lovely point about @BG’s style ... polite, he was Teflon coated when adversaries on a topic got hot under the collar.

Also, simply batting away our wind-ups about Spurs being his main passion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
His struggles with IT, which I identify with, were legendary..

With respect, you didn't have to deal with the emails when he couldn't login, nor the PMs when he could.

I can't begin to imagine how many more posts he would have made if he hadn't suffered from login problems most days.

I'd happily field many more of those emails today if I could...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Lovely point about @BG’s style ... polite, he was Teflon coated when adversaries on a topic got hot under the collar.

Also, simply batting away our wind-ups about Spurs being his main passion.

A real gent in the truest sense of the word. Will be sorely missed for his contrary posts and out there opinions.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Never met Brian, but we spoke on the phone, and he very kindly sent me some remniscences for a book I'm writing about SBTS. Extract:-

"I have, since my earliest memories as a child, always liked and felt proud of the tune. Like most, my school days were spent changing the words around such as ‘You can tell them all that we love football in Sussex by the Sea’ or 'You can tell by the smell that it stinks like hell in Sussex by the Sea'.

As time moved on, the song became a song to be proud of and, even now, hearing it played, especially by a military band, sends tingles down my spine, in much the same way that God Save the Queen does when played for a winner on the podium of the Olympics or a Grand Prix."​

A true Albion fan... proudly, and defiantly, one of the old school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here