Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett and Gardner

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I wasn't overly impressed. There were quite a few long passes that did not reach their mark from Gardner and he had a good chance to score which he fluffed.

Joe Bennett does not impress me quite yet as he is very left footed.

Both of them to me do not make the best decisions and we lose the ball.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Absolute class. Bennett has an ENGINE. Motoring right up to the last minute. Well done sponsors for picking a good MoM.

Did he get down the left flank on Sat? I certainly do not remember seeing him down the wing and putting one cross in, or beating Francis the full back. That is not a true wing back in my view.
A wing back attacks the right fullback and makes them worry not the other way round. Average full back too be honest.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I wasn't overly impressed. There were quite a few long passes that did not reach their mark from Gardner and he had a good chance to score which he fluffed.

Joe Bennett does not impress me quite yet as he is very left footed.

Both of them to me do not make the best decisions and we lose the ball.
Top class lunatic.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
unfortunately the problem is at right back....Love Inigo, but can't play the role Hyppia wants....less said about marking for 2nd goal the better

The problem is forcing a system onto players that aren't suited to it. Calderon is a perfectly good right back, but lacks the stamina for a wing-back. That's not Calderon's fault, that's Hyypia's. It's also why I'm getting more and more resigned to Bennett playing that role going forward.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The problem is forcing a system onto players that aren't suited to it. Calderon is a perfectly good right back, but lacks the stamina for a wing-back. That's not Calderon's fault, that's Hyypia's. It's also why I'm getting more and more resigned to Bennett playing that role going forward.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced Benno should play right back for us in our current system, he is actually made for the role.

If I was a betting man however I would imagine he will replace Gardner in a central birth

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Never understood why people comment on left footed players being "very left footed".

Aren't right footed players very right footed?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Left back is very left footed :ffsparr:

Yeah and those goalies with their over reliance on HANDS......

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Calde was continually pushing forward under the systems played by Gus and Garcia in order to offer support in attack out wide near the opponents penalty area so why can't he continue that now?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Calde was continually pushing forward under the systems played by Gus and Garcia in order to offer support in attack out wide near the opponents penalty area so why can't he continue that now?

That was different in that under both of those managers we also had attacking players in wide positions. So they were able to overlap etc and cover for each other.

I think as well previously the fullbacks were an attacking option out wide, whereas now they are the only option providing width.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Never understood why people comment on left footed players being "very left footed".

Aren't right footed players very right footed?

Yep, Rohan Once is much stronger on his right foot. It makes a player easier to play against if you know which way they will naturally go.

Not only Albion players. Scannell for Huddersfield is so right footed he had to play with a lot of trickery to get on his right foot when he could have played a simple left-footed ball on numerous occasions.

Lamela of Spurs is demonstratingly the same. He scored with his right against the Albion though.

Lualua is as two footed as you get. A good choice for both a central position and as a winger.

Stumpy Tim

We pushed one full-back up at a time, so they weren't constantly up & down. That's the way we should be playing now, but Sami insists both full-backs push up constantly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here