[Other Sport] Benn vs Eubank

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Have to agree. For me boxing has been in the doldrums for many years particularly when you look back. Across the pond there was Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

That’s such a lazy quote.

Mayweather, pacquiao,GGG, Lomachenko etc could live with those fighters. As could many others that spring to mind.

As for Benn vs Eubank Junior, I think Benn would just drop down to his usual weight win or lose. Eubank winning should get him a fight at one of the belts, but if he loses not sure where he goes. Apparently there will be a ‘next day weight stipulation’, meaning the fighters (and in particular Eubank) could only put on an extra 7 pounds or so. Could make a difference but I doubt it. Think Eubank will be to big and strong for Benn.

There's been unbelievable fighters in the last 20 years, but only a relatively tiny number of people have ever seen them fight. Boxing is one of those sports that's mostly shit because of the relentless focus on short term money making

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Told the tale on here umpteen times, but one more time won't do any harm I suppose...

Went to a Chris Eubank sparring session in the 90s sometime, held at hotel Metropole. There was a ring set up, the deal was you paid a fiver to local charity, you watched a bit of sparring, then CE sat in middle of ring doing a Q&A.

Q&A over, THPP took it upon himself to gain an in-ring photo-op with local hero. Sadly, due to trailing-leg middle-rope incident, THPP fell flat on face into ring. Failed to beat the count sadly :blush:

Still got the photo somewhere, mind :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoXrRsGroGs

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wasn't looking to suggest who ' could live' with the fighters I mentioned. The crop that I mentioned just had a charisma and star attraction that could excite the boxing fanatic and the more casual fan. Let's talk about Mayweather Jnr for starters and whether people think he's the GOAT? For me not even close! He carefully managed who he fought over the last half of his career to engineer his perfect record. He is certainly elite for his time, but unbeaten records rarely stand up to scrutiny.

That’s real nonsense for me

He beat Mosley , Marquez , cotto , canelo , maidana twice , pac man

And that’s before you even mention

Hatton , de la Hoya , gatti

He fought the best of the best and made a lot of them look silly .

He’s one of the greatest ever …. That’s for sure

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
That’s real nonsense for me

He beat Mosley , Marquez , cotto , canelo , maidana twice , pac man

And that’s before you even mention

Hatton , de la Hoya , gatti

He fought the best of the best and made a lot of them look silly .

He’s one of the greatest ever …. That’s for sure
How about we beg to differ as opposed to I'm talking nonsense!

He fought DeLa Hoya when he was 2–2 in his last four. Well past his prime. (there is an argument that he should have been 1–3 actually)

Andre Berto was 3–3 in his last 6 before he fought Mayweather…and those opponents were not elite.

Pacman was 3–2 in his last 5 and was injured…AND his coach told him that he was winning to he could coast to a win in the 7th. He lost every round thinking he was ok until the last round when he turned it on again.

Marcos Maidana wasn’t considered elite until he did well against Mayweather….and Mayweather only managed a majority decision against him the first time.

Canelo Alvarez is definitely elite NOW, but that was his first real test and wasn’t considered elite before the fight. And he also fell to a very close MD.

Most people didn’t consider Robert Guerrero to be elite and he was considered to be overrated at that weight class.

Corrales was undefeated with a high KO ratio, but he never beat ONE elite fighter in his entire career.

Genaro Hernandez never beat an elite fighter in his career. His win against Azumah Nelson came well after Nelsons prime.

Zab Judah lost most of his fights against elite fighters, and can’t be used to build Mayweathers case as the greatest.

Ricky Hatton? Not elite. Shane Mosley? WELL past his prime. Miguel Cotto? Well past his prime. Maidana? He hadn’t beaten one impressive opponent. In spite of getting easily outboxed by Alexander and losing to Khan, the limited Maidana gave Mayweather fits in the ring. Only after Maidana’s cardio faded was Mayweather able to pull out a 7-5, 8-4 type of decision.

He has a few quality wins, but when you look at his career he clearly didn’t even fight the best fighters of his era.

He didn’t fight, Joel Casamayor, he didn’t fight Winky Wright (he dodged this one pretty hard), Paul Williams (not really his fault).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My god those original fights in the 90s were EPIC weren't they. Brutal and thrilling beyond belief, with genuine hatred between them. I can remember Eubank doing a post-fight interview ringside after his win, with his tongue shredded. "He' an animal, I want him testhted" or words to that effect. Then parading the belt on the pitch at the Goldstone. Everyone in the country hated Eubank and wanted him to lose, except for our little corrner. Such a great era for boxing, before Sky got hold of it, put it behind a paywall, and ruined it as a national event forever.

I’m not sure their 2nd fight could be classed as EPIC.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I must confess as someone that used to follow boxing but doesn't really any more I thought this was the originals getting back in the ring. I'd probably pay to see that to be fair!

There was talk of a fight between the Snrs a while back – I remember thinking it would never happen and it was a bizarre idea. However, maybe it would be on the undercard of the boys' fight? ????

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Got a cracking picture of one of those Eubank v Benn fights, signed by both fighters hanging on a wall. Love it.

I can see why they are doing it. More money to be made on this than the next 4 fights put together for these 2 I would imagine.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How about we beg to differ as opposed to I'm talking nonsense!

He fought DeLa Hoya when he was 2–2 in his last four. Well past his prime. (there is an argument that he should have been 1–3 actually)

Andre Berto was 3–3 in his last 6 before he fought Mayweather…and those opponents were not elite.

Pacman was 3–2 in his last 5 and was injured…AND his coach told him that he was winning to he could coast to a win in the 7th. He lost every round thinking he was ok until the last round when he turned it on again.

Marcos Maidana wasn’t considered elite until he did well against Mayweather….and Mayweather only managed a majority decision against him the first time.

Canelo Alvarez is definitely elite NOW, but that was his first real test and wasn’t considered elite before the fight. And he also fell to a very close MD.

Most people didn’t consider Robert Guerrero to be elite and he was considered to be overrated at that weight class.

Corrales was undefeated with a high KO ratio, but he never beat ONE elite fighter in his entire career.

Genaro Hernandez never beat an elite fighter in his career. His win against Azumah Nelson came well after Nelsons prime.

Zab Judah lost most of his fights against elite fighters, and can’t be used to build Mayweathers case as the greatest.

Ricky Hatton? Not elite. Shane Mosley? WELL past his prime. Miguel Cotto? Well past his prime. Maidana? He hadn’t beaten one impressive opponent. In spite of getting easily outboxed by Alexander and losing to Khan, the limited Maidana gave Mayweather fits in the ring. Only after Maidana’s cardio faded was Mayweather able to pull out a 7-5, 8-4 type of decision.

He has a few quality wins, but when you look at his career he clearly didn’t even fight the best fighters of his era.

He didn’t fight, Joel Casamayor, he didn’t fight Winky Wright (he dodged this one pretty hard), Paul Williams (not really his fault).

yeah fair point about the disagree

On a few of those I take the de la Hoya comment

Maidana was a pure banger and before floyd had beaten Broner and Morales to name a few. At the time that was a super dangerous fight. Floyd beat him twice

Pac man - cant really say over the hill when he went on to beat Thurman ,Broner and Matthysse

Its easy to pick apart records in hindsight but you also have to take the manner in which he won. He was the master of defence , the noble art of hit and not get hit. The showmanship outside the ring also adds to his legacy.

Yes there are debates to be had but he's still one of the greatest for me

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember we played West Ham just before one of the Benn/Eubank fights. There were shouts of "Benn" from the Hammers fans, met by "Eubank" from the Brighton end. There was a real buzz that day and the forthcoming fight seemed to encapsulate it

I was just thinking of that game as I read the thread !

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not heard that before, do you know why?

Maybe a 1.2 rating on Trustpilot has something to do with it! Page after page of shit reviews. And it isn't cheap. You have to sign up for a monthly fee of, I think, £7.99 a month THEN pay a £19.99 PPV fee on top. Presumably much more for pubs and the like.

I'm already struggling with Sky & BT sports subs, I won't be paying for DAZN on top just for the occasional boxing card when it actually seems to be a pretty crap service anyway.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe a 1.2 rating on Trustpilot has something to do with it! Page after page of shit reviews. And it isn't cheap. You have to sign up for a monthly fee of, I think, £7.99 a month THEN pay a £19.99 PPV fee on top. Presumably much more for pubs and the like.

I'm already struggling with Sky & BT sports subs, I won't be paying for DAZN on top just for the occasional boxing card when it actually seems to be a pretty crap service anyway.

I'm down in Spain at the weekend so hopefully my local will have both the Albion and the boxing on, as Dazn appears to be a bit more accesible there on the old firesticks.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Not heard that before, do you know why?

I did know but can't remember now, heard Hearn talk about trying to get it sorted.

DAZN is sh!t though and for casual fans and older fans it's horrible to navigate.

As for this fight itself I have no interest at all, it's a pure cash grab that makes absolute no sporting sense at all. Eubank Jr. and Benn are really 3 whole weight divisions apart and its all down to weight who will win, therefore gives the other an excuse if they lose.

If Jr. isn't dead on the scales he should win conformably due to his size and experience, if he's fu*ked at the weight then it gives Benn a chance to take advantage of Jr.'s lack of resistance and stamina from the weight cut and lack of rehydration.

It's a terrible fight and Jr. has wasted so much of his career already, although Benn is in a division of monsters both internationally and domestically it's time he started fighting some fighters that aren't shot to pieces and really tested himself. He probably would tbf but Hearn knows he's a cash cow and his stable is getting thing of those.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I did know but can't remember now, heard Hearn talk about trying to get it sorted.

DAZN is sh!t though and for casual fans and older fans it's horrible to navigate.

As for this fight itself I have no interest at all, it's a pure cash grab that makes absolute no sporting sense at all. Eubank Jr. and Benn are really 3 whole weight divisions apart and its all down to weight who will win, therefore gives the other an excuse if they lose.

If Jr. isn't dead on the scales he should win conformably due to his size and experience, if he's fu*ked at the weight then it gives Benn a chance to take advantage of Jr.'s lack of resistance and stamina from the weight cut and lack of rehydration.

It's a terrible fight and Jr. has wasted so much of his career already, although Benn is in a division of monsters both internationally and domestically it's time he started fighting some fighters that aren't shot to pieces and really tested himself. He probably would tbf but Hearn knows he's a cash cow and his stable is getting thing of those.

I've said previously, if it were any other two fighters going up and down in weight so drastically the BBBof C wouldn't give it house room, because the emphasis is on the pound note, Robert Smith and co disgracefully turn a blind eye.

Let's hope we don't all wake up on Sunday morning with another Michael Watson on our hands?

As for the pubs and clubs, Capt Bullshit aka Eddie Hearn can pontificate as much as he wants about this being the biggest domestic fight in recent years, its not, and no coverage in pubs or clubs, ie the lifeblood of mass TV output, throughout the UK tells a story in itself.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I've said previously, if it were any other two fighters going up and down in weight so drastically the BBBof C wouldn't give it house room, because the emphasis is on the pound note, Robert Smith and co disgracefully turn a blind eye.

Let's hope we don't all wake up on Sunday morning with another Michael Watson on our hands?

As for the pubs and clubs, Capt Bullshit aka Eddie Hearn can pontificate as much as he wants about this being the biggest domestic fight in recent years, its not, and no coverage in pubs or clubs, ie the lifeblood of mass TV output, throughout the UK tells a story in itself.

Eddie has drastically over played how much the fans would lap this fight up, it's all been pretty quiet in the build up. I'm sure I saw a video of him saying this was the biggest PPV/fight he had ever put on! :lolol: and also that the 'old' boxing fans who hadn't watched the sport in years as well as the casual fans would be buying this fight because of the the names.

The BBBoC are a bunch of inapt w@nkers in an old boys club, they need scrapping and starting from scratch. I was over the moon to hear IJL has now left them after finally getting downgraded from an A star ref. Just a shame it took Jack Catterall getting robbed and the millionth public hounding to finally force the board to acknowledge they actually got something wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports