Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everything that's wrong with the 1st leg of 2 R16 yawnfest.
Agreed.

First legs are barely worth watching for the neutral. Such a low level of real jeopardy at that point, both sides being pretty cagey often.

Far more fussed about tonight's Europa 2nd legs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a goal.from Porto, get in 🤗
Shouldn't we be supporting the Premier League sides? And I don't mean that from a jingoistic perspective (the days are long gone where I automatically supported the English sides in Europe regardless), but isn't it the case that the more successful the PL sides are the more European places are open to us?

I could be wrong as until very recently I paid absolutely zero attention to Euro qualification - until this season I didn't even know that Champions' League 3rd-placed teams dropped down into the Europa League - so I await correction. But if a P/L team winning the Champions' League potentially opens up more places for us then I'm a Gooner in this tie.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Shouldn't we be supporting the Premier League sides? And I don't mean that from a jingoistic perspective (the days are long gone where I automatically supported the English sides in Europe regardless), but isn't it the case that the more successful the PL sides are the more European places are open to us?

I could be wrong as until very recently I paid absolutely zero attention to Euro qualification - until this season I didn't even know that Champions' League 3rd-placed teams dropped down into the Europa League - so I await correction. But if a P/L team winning the Champions' League potentially opens up more places for us then I'm a Gooner in this tie.
Don't worry, my joy at that goal was personal. When I came back from the trip to Marseille, I was really really tired as I was waiting for my Railair bus to take me back to Reading, this fella sat down and started talking as he spotted my Brighton bag. He was an Arsenal fan who decided to inform me how Europe was going to affect our season, how we would struggle in the league and that one day, because we sell all our players would be back in the championship. I just told him "You know *uck all about Brighton, please stop talking to me you sanctimonious twat" He shut up after that.

I am sure Arsenal are going to win the home leg but the 94th winner for Porto did make me smile.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Pretty much.

Due to the expansion of the Champions League from next season there are 2 extra places up for grabs. These will be given to the best 2 performing federations based on this seasons co-efficient. Currently England sits in 3rd place behind Italy and Germany.

Obviously the better each remaining English club in Europe perform the more chance of getting into the top 2. So a couple of all English finals wouldn’t hurt at all.

Should England get the extra spot it would go to 5th in the Premier League which means 6th and potentially 7th and 8th (depending on who wins the cups) getting the Europa League and Conference League places.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

No, bollocks to them. If we can’t qualify ourselves by finishing in the current places then we don’t deserve it anyway. Not going to support LegoPep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here