[Albion] Ben White

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Everyone keeps talking about this BW miss/hoof but my shit stream froze and i didn't even know the Palace Messi had scored. The goal clip doesn't show the beginning of the move for the goal anyone got a clip?

Official site extended highlights has it. Watching it again you can see that he was just trying to launch one last hopeful ball in the general direction of their box, possibly thinking that the ref would blow if it bounced out of play. It gives them back possession but it’s not as if the mis kick was that bad that it put us in any immediate danger - they still had to carry and pass the ball 3/4 of the pitch to even get the cross in.

Any other stage in the game, then White lets that ball bounce out and calmly takes the throw. You can’t blame him for trying to keep an attack alive in the dying seconds. Far worse mistakes were made in this game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Official site extended highlights has it. Watching it again you can see that he was just trying to launch one last hopeful ball in the general direction of their box, possibly thinking that the ref would blow if it bounced out of play. It gives them back possession but it’s not as if the mis kick was that bad that it put us in any immediate danger - they still had to carry and pass the ball 3/4 of the pitch to even get the cross in.

Any other stage in the game, then White lets that ball bounce out and calmly takes the throw. You can’t blame him for trying to keep an attack alive in the dying seconds. Far worse mistakes were made in this game.

All true. And I blame Welbeck more for not doing the tactical foul. Same as Burn for the first goal.

Veltman showed them both how to do it at one point in the second half against Eze.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

thanks! I forget the Albion site or think it's locked.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
The fault in this side lays at centre forward. Goals will be conceded. I expect White and the rest of the side are now beyond annoyed that we have a striker playing week in, week out who shows as much goal scoring ability as Mark Farrington (one for the millennials to look up).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All true. And I blame Welbeck more for not doing the tactical foul. Same as Burn for the first goal.

Veltman showed them both how to do it at one point in the second half against Eze.

I dunno, I think Welbeck did pretty much what you could expect there. Sure in hindsight a tactical foul would have been wiser but both Lallana and Bissouma were in position to help him out in the pressure but didnt. Needs to be said it was a good run from the CP player as well.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Very true. The more I’ve ruminated on last night, I think it was really just a freak game. And it’s going to be so easy to read too much into individual actions when ultimately for 90% of the game the lads were pretty excellent and more than deserving of a win. Certainly not losing. Certainly not.

I put Ben at fault slightly, but the more I think about it I’m probably more annoyed with Lallana skying from 5 yards and laughing. I don’t know why, but that bugs me more. The fanfare he came to us with, the fact he can’t even complete more than a half. He couldn’t even hit the target.

Ben’s learning his trade at elite level, like with Webster if we want to play young players in defence there will be errors as they learn.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Interesting
I’ve been saying for a while I don’t see what the fuss is about

BOTH Palace goals were his fault and the hoof in the air for the second was unforgivable

He has been directly at fault for other goals in other games through his poor marking, so my opinion is not based on that one game

I am also listing this on Wednesday morning having reflected on it, so as to try and be more balanced

If Liverpool still want to pay £40m for him then they must be nuts

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Very true. The more I’ve ruminated on last night, I think it was really just a freak game. And it’s going to be so easy to read too much into individual actions when ultimately for 90% of the game the lads were pretty excellent and more than deserving of a win. Certainly not losing. Certainly not.

I put Ben at fault slightly, but the more I think about it I’m probably more annoyed with Lallana skying from 5 yards and laughing. I don’t know why, but that bugs me more. The fanfare he came to us with, the fact he can’t even complete more than a half. He couldn’t even hit the target.

Ben’s learning his trade at elite level, like with Webster if we want to play young players in defence there will be errors as they learn.

Lallanna had two shocking misses. To laugh about at least one of them is odd. Generally when I’ve done something disgusting, humiliating, embarrassing and shameful, I don’t laugh about it... he must have an infant’s mentality

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Lallanna had two shocking misses. To laugh about at least one of them is odd. Generally when I’ve done something disgusting, humiliating, embarrassing and shameful, I don’t laugh about it... he must have an infant’s mentality

Fascinated by what "disgusting, humiliating, embarrassing and shameful" things you've done, but it's probably more amusing to speculate than to actually find out.

Given the choice between laughter and crying, I'd prefer the reaction that leaves the player able to play football 10seconds later. Being able to get over mistakes is an essential part of being a top sportsman, not a sign that they don't care.

He may, of course, be a complete arse anyway. I've never met him.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Given the choice between laughter and crying, I'd prefer the reaction that leaves the player able to play football 10seconds later. Being able to get over mistakes is an essential part of being a top sportsman, not a sign that they don't care.

He may, of course, be a complete arse anyway. I've never met him.

I would be laughing if I was getting paid thousands to kick a football into the back of the North Stand. :)

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Which is exactly what he should have done. It was a complete brainfart even before it led to Palace scoring, he's always much more likely to give the ball doing that than he is just taking the throw.

It doesn't make him a bad player or anything though, it's one error in a game with hundreds.

My reaction when I saw him do it was not this balanced or reasonable.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I would be laughing if I was getting paid thousands to kick a football into the back of the North Stand. :)

I'm always intrigued by how many times professional footballers manage to get the ball into the stand from positions where you'd swear it was impossible to get the ball anywhere other than inside the net.

It's one of the reasons I find pundits' and commentators' inability to actually describe what they mean by phrases like "great technique" so frustrating.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm always intrigued by how many times professional footballers manage to get the ball into the stand from positions where you'd swear it was impossible to get the ball anywhere other than inside the net.

It's one of the reasons I find pundits' and commentators' inability to actually describe what they mean by phrases like "great technique" so frustrating.

When Andy Gray was on Sky he would usually say “ he was leaning back “ when a striker hit one over the bar.
I seem to hear his Scottish accent in my head on a regular basis for some reason when I’m watching Albion.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting
I’ve been saying for a while I don’t see what the fuss is about

BOTH Palace goals were his fault and the hoof in the air for the second was unforgivable

He has been directly at fault for other goals in other games through his poor marking, so my opinion is not based on that one game

I am also listing this on Wednesday morning having reflected on it, so as to try and be more balanced

If Liverpool still want to pay £40m for him then they must be nuts

Webster went a similar difficult patch in his first season in the Premier League but he has been our best defender this season. White will be so much better with experience, top level in fact.

Just need a little patience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports