Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He’s been seriously good for the last dozen or so games - a real gem, and I’d like to thank Newport County, Leeds Utd and Peterborough Utd for their help developing the player for us in the lower leagues.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
TB might have sold for £50m.

But he knows nobody is going anywhere near that.

In the real world, that's the same as saying he has no price and is not for sale

I'd probably human traffic my Mrs to someone for 100 million quid .... I'm in effect saying, I wouldn't sell her as that's would be way above a sensible valuation :)

Expensive. I'd traffick my mother for a five of cannabis and some rolling papers.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ben White as a solution to their ariel problems ? If Ben has a current weakness that needs working on, where would you say it was. Obviously done their homework :facepalm:

Maybe they should try Bold or Daz, Fairy or Persil.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He’s been seriously good for the last dozen or so games - a real gem, and I’d like to thank Newport County, Leeds Utd and Peterborough Utd for their help developing the player for us in the lower leagues.

Ha yeh

And not forgetting Southampton ... for royally ballsing up by letting him go

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
When was the last time Tony Bloom sold a player, he didn't want to sell?

The one variable people are ignoring here is the player. If a player really wants to go, and particularly if they are getting sniffed at by a "big club" and being offered a big salary, they could probably agitate to go. It's not guaranteed to work, but if the player is handcuffed to the club then no one wins, and players know that.

Imagine Ben White is on £40k/week here. Spurs come sniffing and offer him £150k/w on a long contract (assuming he gets an England call up etc). We refuse to go that high and offer £60k, so the player decides he wants out. He's contracted, but he could agitate for a move. Lots of variables at play, but it would be hard for us to keep the player, and keep him happy and motivated, if his head really had been turned.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
MOT Leeds News: Exclusive: Paul Robinson: Leeds must ‘break bank’ to sign Ben White.
https://motleedsnews.com/news/exclusive-paul-robinson-leeds-must-break-bank-to-sign-ben-white/

Looks like they still want Ben.

:lolol: "MOT Leeds News" always makes me think the big headline will be about a 23 year old Volkswagen Passat passing its emissions test in Headingly.

To be fair, it would probably be more interesting than the drivel actually on there. What are the odds that the sum total of Paul Robinson's input is to say it's OK to put his name to the 'exclusive' that has been made up by the office flunkey as part of their clickbait project and then trouser £200 for the privilege...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The one variable people are ignoring here is the player. If a player really wants to go, and particularly if they are getting sniffed at by a "big club" and being offered a big salary, they could probably agitate to go. It's not guaranteed to work, but if the player is handcuffed to the club then no one wins, and players know that.

Imagine Ben White is on £40k/week here. Spurs come sniffing and offer him £150k/w on a long contract (assuming he gets an England call up etc). We refuse to go that high and offer £60k, so the player decides he wants out. He's contracted, but he could agitate for a move. Lots of variables at play, but it would be hard for us to keep the player, and keep him happy and motivated, if his head really had been turned.

I agree although there were doubts as to whether Dunk or Stephens were unsettled by the offers made for them. It was true that Dunk refused to play at Fulham but soon resolved by a pay rise. Both were promoted with us, and we only sold Stephens when it suited us.

Any other scenarios are pie in the sky at present, until such times as a big six club do come calling.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
:lolol: "MOT Leeds News" always makes me think the big headline will be about a 23 year old Volkswagen Passat passing its emissions test in Headingly.

:clap2: :lol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I agree although there were doubts as to whether Dunk or Stephens were unsettled by the offers made for them. It was true that Dunk refused to play at Fulham but soon resolved by a pay rise. Both were promoted with us, and we only sold Stephens when it suited us.

Any other scenarios are pie in the sky at present, until such times as a big six club do come calling.

Well, they aren't pie in the sky. I suspect we have been recruiting players with the promise of helping them develop into Prem players and then move on up to bigger clubs (ie bigger pay days etc). GP said as much on TalkSport today. If you stand in the way of too many of those players, you stand the chance of unsettling your current players and damaging recruitment.

There will have to be a pragmatism at Brighton (which I'm sure there is) and I trust them to make the best decision, all things being considered, as these issues occur. But let's not kid ourselves that it's a simple case of "we don't want to sell, so you're not going anywhere" - those days are over.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yep, it might not be White, but there will be players who want to leave. If a player REALLY wants to leave he's likely to be sold in this day and age.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yep, it might not be White, but there will be players who want to leave. If a player REALLY wants to leave he's likely to be sold in this day and age.

A year ago i'd have agreed with you

But every player knows the transfer market has crashed and that chairmen who don't have to sell at a greatly reduced price, won't sell at all

In a couple of years the transfer market will probably be back to normal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, they aren't pie in the sky. I suspect we have been recruiting players with the promise of helping them develop into Prem players and then move on up to bigger clubs (ie bigger pay days etc). GP said as much on TalkSport today. If you stand in the way of too many of those players, you stand the chance of unsettling your current players and damaging recruitment.

There will have to be a pragmatism at Brighton (which I'm sure there is) and I trust them to make the best decision, all things being considered, as these issues occur. But let's not kid ourselves that it's a simple case of "we don't want to sell, so you're not going anywhere" - those days are over.

I agree, but there haven't been any offers from the 'big' clubs. I'm not talking about rumours, interest or speculation but real offers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Exactly. It seems pretty obvious that Bloom is planning a conveyor belt system. We will need to move some on in order for the ridiculous young talent we've got in the pipeline. I'd be surprised if at least one of Bissouma or White didn't go in the summer. The only real issue here is whether CV continues to depress the market, which would prevent us selling those two.
If Biss stays, it's unlikely that Moder and Moises get anything other than the odd game.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Exactly. It seems pretty obvious that Bloom is planning a conveyor belt system. We will need to move some on in order for the ridiculous young talent we've got in the pipeline. I'd be surprised if at least one of Bissouma or White didn't go in the summer. The only real issue here is whether CV continues to depress the market, which would prevent us selling those two.
If Biss stays, it's unlikely that Moder and Moises get anything other than the odd game.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The production line of talent might have started spluttering in to action just at the moment that the price paid for talent is generally depressed. Still a good strategy, but may not be the massive money we have seen in the past.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
'Leeds are owed a victory against Arsenal after losing 1-0 in the FA Cup last year in a thrilling encounter and drawing 0-0 in the reverse fixture in the Premier League.'

What an odd quote near the bottom of that article... ???

On Arsenals vast pitch which it isn't. Whole load of hogwash

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

To be fair, I've heard numerous times from people at the club that they 'won't stand in a player's way' if they want to move on. Maybe that sort of chat was more common pre-PL life, but even so, I like to think the club understand ambition and, let's face it, cashing in when the time is right!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be fair, I've heard numerous times from people at the club that they 'won't stand in a player's way' if they want to move on. Maybe that sort of chat was more common pre-PL life, but even so, I like to think the club understand ambition and, let's face it, cashing in when the time is right!

And yet we did when Stephens, Dunk, Bridcutt (initially) , and by several accounts, White, wanted to move on.

But none of those were 'big' clubs. Assuming Chelseas interest in Dunk was mainly paper talk.

A Liverpool or Arsenal come seriously calling, expect to sell. But I don't think the club will initiate it, just to ensure a conveyor belt of talent. It might be a long term strategy, but not necessarily one we'll force.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
There’s also the point at which an offer allows you to improve your side. Liverpool selling Coutinho for gazillions and buying Van Dijk and Allison probably the best example. If we sold one of White or Biss for £50M and bought Edouard and Sarr with the proceeds, we’d be a better side overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here