[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
What is Ben White worth ? ...I’ve been giving it some thought..

Now... we paid 18 million for Webster ( who I like can I say )

White has also had/will have had 1 outstanding season at championship level, and probably promotion season

White is 3 years younger having just turned 22

It would appear pretty much all the top 6 are interested... not the like of us for Webster...

I think the asking price if one of the big boys comes knocking should be near 50 million...

And I don’t think it’s beyond possible one of those top 6 sides would pay it or close to it

One good season with us in the Prem and he will be worth 70 million the way prices are going so could one of the top 6 see him as a gamble worth taking at 45-50.... ?

All the top sides are missing a decent ball playing centre half....

Chelsea would be my bet... and they are not afraid to play the younger players

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A small anomaly has occurred to me.

What's the difference between Ben White and Argie McJockoface?

Both young.
Both snaffled up by the Albion.
Both out at their second loan club.
Both seemingly destined to play for the Albion next season.

I can't help think a cross reference between the 2 threads will throw up posters who are adamant Argie's transfer is the end of days, while also praising the club for expertly managing White's progression to the first team.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I can't help think a cross reference between the 2 threads will throw up posters who are adamant Argie's transfer is the end of days, while also praising the club for expertly managing White's progression to the first team.

Get the Venn diagram machine out, Stat!

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Played two games v Spurs in the FA cup, home and then a replay at Wembley where he played about 80 minutes. The commentators last night on the BBC said this is how Leeds came in for him.
So he first came to their attention in the round after he knocked Leeds out of the same competition in the previous round? Got to love the BBC's research.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Both young.

Leeds is White’s third loan. Peterborough last season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
SSN reporting Chelsea in for a £50 million rated defender from a Premier League club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
SSN reporting Chelsea in for a £50 million rated defender from a Premier League club.

Can’t believe anyone would bid 50m for a defender with half a season of Championship experience, no matter how much potential. If it is a Brighton player, it’s probably Dunk.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-January-signing-Frank-Lampard-Kaveh-Solhekol

Above link mentions Ben White at the very bottom of the report with the phrase `"But as well as the potential £50m signing which Solhekol alludes to, the club have been linked to Leeds loanee Ben White, who impressed in his side’s FA Cup outing with Arsenal on Monday night."

Is the Express dropping a massive hint on who the £50 million pound man is by mentioning Ben White at the bottom of the article. Or is it more likely to be someone like Çağlar Söyüncü who is still only 23 years old and fits the description of the player in the Express story perfectly.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Although £50 million would be absolutely incredible business for our academy it would be a shame not to see Ben playing for us next season.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

Both young.

I don't know, it's like there's a strategy or something.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
According to Danish press reports (which, of course, you can take with a pinch of salt, although I have no particular reason to disbelieve them) Dreyer was purchased for approximately £2 million and sold for approximately £850k, so that particular transaction won't be paying back anything.

Those figures don't surprise me and of course there's an element of some will make money and some will lose money.

However, I think you are ignoring the effect of sell on clauses. Normann is a good example of someone we sold on for a similar amount, who is now worth a lot more than that (I've seen £20m quoted), Of course we are in a strong bargaining position to negotiate a very decent clause and I'm sure that's part of the deal with any sales from our academy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Nathan Ake? Don't Chelsea have first refusal on him?

No idea.

If we could genuinely get £50 million for White, I'd be tempted to sell. Clearly it looks like he's going to be a very good player, but plenty of players don't go on to fulfil their potential, or get hampered by injuries etc. £50 million would give us the opportunity to really strengthen the squad and push on to the next level. We'd need to make sure Dunk is going anywhere though.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Ben White's contract is with the Albion and I can see him being a big part of our future upon his return at the end of the season. I wouldn't consider letting him go a few years ago we released the young Steve Cook to Bournemouth and nearly 300 games later he is an established Premier player.
We are not a selling club and we need to give our youth the best opportunities as we are with Connelly and Alzate. Loan them out make them better players then get them back and put them in the first team.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ben White's contract is with the Albion and I can see him being a big part of our future upon his return at the end of the season. I wouldn't consider letting him go a few years ago we released the young Steve Cook to Bournemouth and nearly 300 games later he is an established Premier player.
We are not a selling club and we need to give our youth the best opportunities as we are with Connelly and Alzate. Loan them out make them better players then get them back and put them in the first team.

Its a nice thought, but of course we are a selling club if the price is right like pretty much all of the Prem other than a few top sides.

I just don't see the point of selling White for 25 million which seems to the quoted figure, we can move Duffy on for 20 million surely and get that money if we need it.

The only way White leaves is if a stupid offer comes in 45-50 million I would say. And then some of those top sides might not see that as stupid but saving money in the long run.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Its a nice thought, but of course we are a selling club if the price is right like pretty much all of the Prem other than a few top sides.

I just don't see the point of selling White for 25 million which seems to the quoted figure, we can move Duffy on for 20 million surely and get that money if we need it.

The only way White leaves is if a stupid offer comes in 45-50 million I would say. And then some of those top sides might not see that as stupid but saving money in the long run.
With Potter getting a revised long term contract I presume the intention is not to sell our best young players but to steadily build for the future. You are right everyone has a price but set the bar high to buy a replacement would cost £20 million so pointless selling for the same amount.
Totally agree about Duffy, he has been excellent but sadly doesn't fit into our current style. Get White to replace Duffy, sell Duffy and put some funds in the transfer pot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With Potter getting a revised long term contract I presume the intention is not to sell our best young players but to steadily build for the future. You are right everyone has a price but set the bar high to buy a replacement would cost £20 million so pointless selling for the same amount.
Totally agree about Duffy, he has been excellent but sadly doesn't fit into our current style. Get White to replace Duffy, sell Duffy and put some funds in the transfer pot.

.....or could be White to replace Dunk, if Dunk finally gets that big monry move to the likes of Spurs or Chelsea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports