Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Spoke to a Leeds United fanatic at the weekend, and he reckons we should cash in on Dunk in the summer, get White back, in his opinion, White is the better player, and will win far more England caps than Dunk.

Or we could just keep Dunk and have BOTH.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many times has he seen Dunk play?

Does it matter? Southgate clearly doesn't fancy Dunk and appears to have no intention to include him in the team. It's not just the one person that has said White is England bound after all, is it. The only thing that might prejudice an England call up is Southgate's apparent preference for players who have come through the England youth teams..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok maybe not £20M - but £30M+ ?

I still think it is a bit of a conundrum - Ben White is contracted until June 2022. Next summer still assuming Duffy goes - where does White fit in ? Replacing Dunk or Burn? And the big clubs will know they will be able to pick him up very cheap January 2022

Not really......given as we often play 3CBs, we really need 5 in the squad. As to who ends up as first choice, that’s Potter’s decision and based on form and tactics and will change throughout the season. I can see a ‘first choice’ 3 of Webster, Dunk and White, with Burn being first choice cover for both CB and LB (behind Bernardo who I think might keep the shirt even when Burn is fit).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not really......given as we often play 3CBs, we really need 5 in the squad. As to who ends up as first choice, that’s Potter’s decision and based on form and tactics and will change throughout the season. I can see a ‘first choice’ 3 of Webster, Dunk and White, with Burn being first choice cover for both CB and LB (behind Bernardo who I think might keep the shirt even when Burn is fit).

I hope that you are correct as regards Bernardo.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It’s deluded to think Bloom isn’t looking at the transfer fees of players like Maguire and not thinking he wants to see us make profit like that from academy players. Otherwise it never becomes self funding.

I’m pretty sure Bloom himself has said he is looking at Southampton and what they’ve managed to do with their academy

I think I'm of the view that you and I are discussing different things. I know I may well be deluded, but please inform me of how I've been deluded in what I've posted?
If you read back what I actually said, you seem to be finding something implicit within it. But, in terms of what you've said in this reply, I'm not entirely convinced that we would need to sell in order for the academy to be self-funding if you factor in that academy players progressing into the 25 squad means that we don't have to buy players from elsewhere (and often their wages will be cheaper too).
FWIW, I'm not making any claims about whether Bloom expects to receive transfer fees for (our best) academy players, or not.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think I'm of the view that you and I are discussing different things. I know I may well be deluded, but please inform me of how I've been deluded in what I've posted?
If you read back what I actually said, you seem to be finding something implicit within it. But, in terms of what you've said in this reply, I'm not entirely convinced that we would need to sell in order for the academy to be self-funding if you factor in that academy players progressing into the 25 squad means that we don't have to buy players from elsewhere (and often their wages will be cheaper too).
FWIW, I'm not making any claims about whether Bloom expects to receive transfer fees for (our best) academy players, or not.

The way I see it, the academy can be self financing without big ticket player sales. It costs, (I read on here) about £3 to 5m per year and I think we can make this back by selling players who probably won't quite make the first team grade anyway. This year, or at the latest next year, we will have to make decisions, on the likes of Gyokeres, Ostigard, Baluta, Sanchez, Walton, Sanders, Molumby. Now hopefully several of these will graduate to the first team squad, but I think we can anticipate that not all will, if we sold half of them, like we have with Dreyer, we'll at least cover the running cost. Decent sell on clauses will then help to cover the costs for future years.

Then the following year, the current crop in the u23s, Cashman, Yapi, Richards, Gwargis etc (who I anticipate will largely go out on loan next season), will have to prove they are worth a squad place or be sold on.

The thing that is different about our youth policy now, as opposed to the rest of the time I've been supporting, is that the ones who fall a bit short are still worth decent money.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well we've now sold on Mateju, Normann and Dreyer - which should at least start to pay back the academy costs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well we've now sold on Mateju, Normann and Dreyer - which should at least start to pay back the academy costs.

Spot on..... the obvious model is produce a stream of players, of which some make the grade with us (very few in all likelihood) and some are good but just not quite up to scratch for us and get sold on (only needs a couple of £3-5m players a year for the academy to be self-funding) and we save huge sums by not having to spunk £20m every time we need a first team player in (if we’d needed to go to the market to get a Connolly or an Alzate for example).

We’ll still be in the market for first-teamers for certain positions as we continually upgrade the squad but as the academy continues to develop over time it should become a less frequent occurrence.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

So you don’t fancy Balogan and Bong as first choices?? 😉

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
100K well spent.

I find it quite ironic that Alzate’s youth manager at Orient was John Gregory of Gareth Barry fame who he tried to steal for a pittance whilst at Villa. What goes around comes around.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I find it quite ironic that his youth manager at Orient was John Gregory of Gareth Barry fame. What goes around comes around.

Ah you changed it, and within the allotted timescale permitted before the vultures could swoop and castigate you for not knowing the difference between Gareth Barry and Gareth Bale....

No one will ever know.....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ah you changed it, and within the allotted timescale permitted before the vultures could swoop and castigate you for not knowing the difference between Gareth Barry and Gareth Bale....

No one will ever know.....

Well that do now, thanks for that :rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Indeed. Any Academy player becoming a first teamer not only saves a transfer fee on someone like Webster but their wages will already be within our structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Your very welcome.....

PS: Well they do now, not Well that do now....

You need a stiff drink me thunks....

:lolol:

FFS, I think I need to quit drinking not start :rolleyes:

And if we are going to get pedantic “You’re very welcome” NOT Your very welcome

People in glass houses etc :lolol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

According to Danish press reports (which, of course, you can take with a pinch of salt, although I have no particular reason to disbelieve them) Dreyer was purchased for approximately £2 million and sold for approximately £850k, so that particular transaction won't be paying back anything.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What did we pay for Alzate from Leyton Orient?

100K well spent.

While the Evening Standard DID report the fee as £100k, there was a poster on a Leyton Orient forum (who broke news of the signing the day before it was officially reported) who suggested that the fee was around the £400k mark (with, quite probably, a sell-on clause).

Still great business for us, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here