Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Goldson to Rangers (2.5 milion, wasn't it?) wasn't a poor decision given that he wasn't even first choice in the Championship once Duffy had been signed. Good defender but not Premier League quality, and he was never going to be more than a back-up player. I've no doubt he looks an amazing talent playing for Rangers in a league where Jon Obika scores goals.

Think also the business with Goldson was helping him move on without dicking him about. Goldson had a good opportunity he wanted to take so we helped him take it and asked a reasonable price to make sure it would happen. That's the way it seemed to me at the time. We facilitated a frictionless transfer in recognition of the work he'd done for us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Think also the business with Goldson was helping him move on without dicking him about. Goldson had a good opportunity he wanted to take so we helped him take it and asked a reasonable price to make sure it would happen. That's the way it seemed to me at the time. We facilitated a frictionless transfer in recognition of the work he'd done for us.

Exactly. And he had been out injured for a long time. His return to football would not be helped by sat on the bench.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Despite that potentially being guesswork, isn't that sort of activity 'tapping up'? If we have no inclination to sell, any such conversations between Leeds chairman and Brighton player would not (or should not) take place...

I guess that would be tapping up. I also imagine that there is barely a single transfer offer made at our level where the buying club is not aware in advance that the player would be interested in joining them.

Leeds also have an advantage in that White turns up at their training ground almost every day. Plenty of chances to ask him :lolol:

To be honest I don't think that's the most important thing here. If Leeds come with serious, determined offers, i can see us seriously considering taking the money, esp if Dunk and Webster are playing well and staying. If White says he wants to stay at Brighton, we'll turn them down, but otherwise, who knows eh

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Genuine question - lets say we do sell White now or in the summer to a Man City / Spurs / Chelsea / Arsenal for £20M+ - is the academy not starting to do its job and repay the investment?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Genuine question - lets say we do sell White now or in the summer to a Man City / Spurs / Chelsea / Arsenal for £20M+ - is the academy not starting to do its job and repay the investment?

It's job is to make our team better

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Because, £20m+ for White, alongside Connolly and Alzate in our squad, with Molumby likely to join them, means that we're both getting money for academy players and the academy presence in our first team squad means that we're not having to shell out on others. And that's before we factor in other players that have featured in the academy for a while now, eg Walton, Gyokeres, Ostigard, Sanchez.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Because, £20m+ for White, alongside Connolly and Alzate in our squad, with Molumby likely to join them, means that we're both getting money for academy players and the academy presence in our first team squad means that we're not having to shell out on others. And that's before we factor in other players that have featured in the academy for a while now, eg Walton, Gyokeres, Ostigard, Sanchez.

It’s deluded to think Bloom isn’t looking at the transfer fees of players like Maguire and not thinking he wants to see us make profit like that from academy players. Otherwise it never becomes self funding.

I’m pretty sure Bloom himself has said he is looking at Southampton and what they’ve managed to do with their academy

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'm getting worried that this thread has now had a couple of pages without anyone asking whether we can recall BW even though he's played lots of games for Leeds.

Isn't it compulsory for someone to ask that with every tenth post?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm getting worried that this thread has now had a couple of pages without anyone asking whether we can recall BW even though he's played lots of games for Leeds.

Isn't it compulsory for someone to ask that with every tenth post?
All these rumours of Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs etc. looking to sign White this window look a bit silly if we can't recall him to sell.

Anyway, Potter confirmed he could be recalled if we wanted.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s deluded to think Bloom isn’t looking at the transfer fees of players like Maguire and not thinking he wants to see us make profit like that from academy players. Otherwise it never becomes self funding.

I’m pretty sure Bloom himself has said he is looking at Southampton and what they’ve managed to do with their academy

Bloom has said he wants to flog off anyone of value at the first opportunity and continually be in relegation danger? Not sure he has.

I genuinely don't think that Bloom is running this academy for profit. If he was, the women and girls bit wouldn't be going up at the moment.

I may be proved to be deluded in time, and you're welcome to remind me, but I think we will continue to sell the likes of Dreyer for a modest fee to reduce annual losses on the academy, but the plan if we should uncover a top class player is to play him in the side.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've seen White play a lot better this season than he did last night - First game at that 'level' though so to be expected....

Played two games v Spurs in the FA cup, home and then a replay at Wembley where he played about 80 minutes. The commentators last night on the BBC said this is how Leeds came in for him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Yes, just say we did sell White for £20m. How much would we have to spend to recruit a player of similar quality?

When you factor in the increased relegation danger of selling your assets, it would make no business sense

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes, just say we did sell White for £20m. How much would we have to spend to recruit a player of similar quality?

When you factor in the increased relegation danger of selling your assets, it would make no business sense

I think the club only considers selling if a big offer offer comes in (to me £40 million plus add on's) and if Potter clearly doesn't want to use him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

All of that......plus, if White makes the first team and continues his progress, his value will double, triple or even more within a season or two. Would be madness to sell him at this point in his development the way things are going.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Spoke to a Leeds United fanatic at the weekend, and he reckons we should cash in on Dunk in the summer, get White back, in his opinion, White is the better player, and will win far more England caps than Dunk.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All of that......plus, if White makes the first team and continues his progress, his value will double, triple or even more within a season or two. Would be madness to sell him at this point in his development the way things are going.

Ok maybe not £20M - but £30M+ ?

I still think it is a bit of a conundrum - Ben White is contracted until June 2022. Next summer still assuming Duffy goes - where does White fit in ? Replacing Dunk or Burn? And the big clubs will know they will be able to pick him up very cheap January 2022

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here