Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I haven't ruled out the possibility of a White recall in January.

When Potter is asked about it, he's unlikely to say, he's thinking about it. That's effectively saying that he will be. Much better to keep options open and close the speculation down as much as possible. He can always go back on it if he does recall him in Jan and cite some changed circumstance (or just not justify that he denied it last month at all).

If one of our senior defenders picks up a long term injury in December it's hard to imagine we won't look to replace them and White would be the most obvious replacement.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I haven't ruled out the possibility of a White recall in January.

When Potter is asked about it, he's unlikely to say, he's thinking about it. That's effectively saying that he will be. Much better to keep options open and close the speculation down as much as possible. He can always go back on it if he does recall him in Jan and cite some changed circumstance (or just not justify that he denied it last month at all).

If one of our senior defenders picks up a long term injury in December it's hard to imagine we won't look to replace them and White would be the most obvious replacement.

Yep, he would be the cheapest £40m value signing for us, without competition, and no negotiation required. If he was the only new player in January I would be very content. We loan these players out to get games and experience and prove themselves, he has, so job done. I feel it would be verging on criminal to not bring him back tbph.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think it is in our interests for him to be promoted with Leeds because we don't want him making sentimental memories with them and his team mates. He could influence a sale to Leeds with a transfer request and then it is all bidders welcome.

Agree...Another reason to get him back sooner rather than later. A promoted Leeds will be a powerful draw for any player especially if they go up as champions.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I’d love it if we recalled him, he plays great etc. and Leeds then collapse and fail to get promoted (again!) :D

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
From a Phil Hay article in The Athletic on 28th Nov.....

Ben White is a complete contrast — the only outfield player at Elland Road to appear in every minute of the Championship season so far. He has thrived at Leeds, the perfect brand of centre-back in Bielsa’s eyes, but his development has come at the cost of the relative anonymity he held prior to this season.
A member of Liverpool’s scouting team is watching him constantly and has recommended White as a target. They see his aerial ability as a weakness but are impressed by the other aspects of his game. Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Leicester City are also watching and parent club Brighton & Hove Albion now value White in the region of £20 million. He has played too often for Leeds for Brighton to recall him in January, something they had no plans to do anyway, but there is a risk of clubs tabling permanent bids shortly, rather than delaying their interest until the summer.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Ben White could be a Leeds player if the Qatar consortium that is involved in PSG also buy into Leeds. This has been reported as a strong possibility if they get promoted.
But they would still need to pay a very large sum of money to out bid Liverpool.
I hope we see him at Brighton next season, but I'm realistic enough to realise that if a bidding war started that Tony might cash in.
Leicester sold Maguire, Mahrez and Kante for big fees and it didn't seem to harm them too much. They just had more money to buy their top targets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hope we see him at Brighton next season, but I'm realistic enough to realise that if a bidding war started that Tony might cash in.
Leicester sold Maguire, Mahrez and Kante for big fees and it didn't seem to harm them too much. They just had more money to buy their top targets.
That makes no sense to me what so ever.
Why sell the player who is seemingly all of GPott's fantasies in one, in order to generate money to buy a lesser version while being held to ransom buy his selling club?

Yet not off loading Shane Duffy for around £20m.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
From a Phil Hay article in The Athletic on 28th Nov.....

Ben White is a complete contrast — the only outfield player at Elland Road to appear in every minute of the Championship season so far. He has thrived at Leeds, the perfect brand of centre-back in Bielsa’s eyes, but his development has come at the cost of the relative anonymity he held prior to this season.
A member of Liverpool’s scouting team is watching him constantly and has recommended White as a target. They see his aerial ability as a weakness but are impressed by the other aspects of his game. Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Leicester City are also watching and parent club Brighton & Hove Albion now value White in the region of £20 million. He has played too often for Leeds for Brighton to recall him in January, something they had no plans to do anyway, but there is a risk of clubs tabling permanent bids shortly, rather than delaying their interest until the summer.

As the article suggests we would sell him for £20m, i'm not going to believe too much Phil Hay says anytime soon

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That makes no sense to me what so ever.
Why sell the player who is seemingly all of GPott's fantasies in one, in order to generate money to buy a lesser version while being held to ransom buy his selling club?

Yet not off loading Shane Duffy for around £20m.

No sense what so ever?
Everyone has a price, even Messi.
It's just a case of deciding how much it is.

I don't think anyone will bid enough to persuade Tony to sell him, but I'm not so blinkered to think that it makes no sense what so ever.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No sense what so ever?
Everyone has a price, even Messi.
It's just a case of deciding how much it is.

I don't think anyone will bid enough to persuade Tony to sell him, but I'm not so blinkered to think that it makes no sense what so ever.

Possibly mate, but I just absolutely refuse to believe that Tony has spent all that money on the academy, just to sell the brightest starlets. There has been no evidence that he is looking to sell to recoup money. There's plenty of evidence he's prepared to do what it takes to turn us into a top ten side.

I would be amazed if we start selling young players like White. I think Bloom would turn down even a ludicrously high bid. The old wisdom about everyone being a selling club doesn't really apply in the same way any more now that you get £100m+ for being in the division. There's no club who have got or would pay enough to make it worth our while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here