Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Not being in the top division doesn't mean clubs stop being big in other ways. Leeds have support up and down the country, worldwide too. They take thousands where ever they go, evening games miles away included. Like it or not, history does play a part too. It raises stature of a club - even if they fall on hard times.

You try telling anyone not a Brighton fan that we're as big or bigger than leeds thesedays, they'll laugh till the other side of christmas.

We're a bigger club than Bournemouth but with PL TV money dwarfing the money received from gate receipts and merchandising these days does it matter one iota? Who gives a shit if a club is "bigger" if it makes not one jot of difference on the pitch?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We're a bigger club than Bournemouth but with PL TV money dwarfing the money received from gate receipts and merchandising these days does it matter one iota? Who gives a shit if a club is "bigger" if it makes not one jot of difference on the pitch?

I'm not saying it does matter, not to me anyway. We're a decent sized club ourselves.

It might matter to players like Ben White though. if Leeds were to be promoted I'd bet that he'd rather stay at Leeds than come back to us (yes I know he's contracted to us, but that doesn't guarantee anything)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think recalling him early could potentially do more harm than good for all.

There’s no guarantee he would fit into our side and the premier league straight away for a start and centre back isn’t really one of the areas we need strengthening currently.

At the moment he’s on course for a promotion/championship and possible Championship player of the season which could do wonders for his confidence and career. Being recalled to be a potential bit part player in a team at the lower end of the league/fighting relegation and missing out on the highs of a possible promotion and the accolades that would come his way could have a negative impact on him and his attitude to the club.

Let him see out the season there and review in the summer. It’s win/win for us at that point. Either we get a quality centre back added to the squad or a big pay out for a player who’s never really featured for us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not saying it does matter, not to me anyway. We're a decent sized club ourselves.

It might matter to players like Ben White though. if Leeds were to be promoted I'd bet that he'd rather stay at Leeds than come back to us (yes I know he's contracted to us, but that doesn't guarantee anything)

Can’t see it myself. There’s a lot going for us these days that makes us attractive to any player - training ground, stadium, area etc. - never mind one that’s been with us for 6 years and whose family is from the south coast. The main thing is that as a newly promoted club, Leeds won’t be able to offer any more £ than us, and let’s face it that’s the main thing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

This is why we should maybe pull White from Leeds before the end of their season and loan them Burn because he is a northern lad and would be a decent replacement. The less time he spends at Leeds the lesser the attachment he would have than if he won promotion with them.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As an old git who grew up in an age when we schoolboys all 'supported' a div 1 side, and only some of us rocked up to the Goldstone to watch, more in hope than expectation, that maybe one day we actually would 'win Division 3' . . . . . I still think there is an insufficiency in belief and arrogance about our club of the sort you see in some other cities. A slight inferiority complex? Little 'ole Brighton? Not really a Football City?......

I have a sense Tony Bloom wants to change that more than anything. Root and branch. His vision is that we become a proper football city where the club has meaning and resonance just as Liverpool FC has resonance in half of that city.

We are very fortunate. But after all the crap the 5,000 hard core have been through over the last 30 years, we deserve it. Happy days.

I think the promotion parade showed the potential for Brighton as a football city. Filling the Amex with 30,000 actual bodies rather than a pretendance based on tickets sold would do the same.

But let's be realistic. We are not a bigger club than Leeds United, who have a far bigger fanbase, a bigger ground, and reached the Champions League semi-finals as recently as 2001.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think the promotion parade showed the potential for Brighton as a football city. Filling the Amex with 30,000 actual bodies rather than a pretendance based on tickets sold would do the same.

But let's be realistic. We are not a bigger club than Leeds United, who have a far bigger fanbase, a bigger ground, and reached the Champions League semi-finals as recently as 2001.

This has reminded me, I was going to post a poll on where people see us in the "bigness league", ie if you rate clubs down from the very biggest (Sheffield Wednesday, obvs) down, what position would you place us in?

I'll post it tomorrow - interested to see where the average placing is.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Can't quite believe some of the forelock tugging on this thread towards Leeds - yes alright, they have a bigger fanbase than us, a bigger stadium, and are historically a larger club:bla:. Doesn't change the fact that, so long as we avoid relegation, and unless Leeds stump up an ridiculous fee in the summer ( given how well he might fit into Potterball, it would have to be a bloody big bid for us to sell him), he's staying put

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The point is, Tony wants us to be and is planning to achive that. I salute him.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'It's ten to three and the match is shortly to start here at Elland Road. Oh, and the man of match is Ben White..'

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
aye up lads. white is a decent player, reliable and consistent. but he is playing in the championship, against championship standard teams, doesn't take much to look great against some of the shite down there. there is a lot of hysteria surrounding him.

a lot of his "talent" (and not to say other teams can't do same but they don't in championship where there is so much hack and hoof ball) is how well drilled leeds are. Bielsa has them individually knowing a -> b --> c and so he is surrounded by players he knows will be doing x so he can do y and when you are that well drilled and fit (poor kid thought he was in good condition when he came to leeds and was soon told to shape up) it is hard to look awful.

anyway he is decent enough, but not premiership level. if he was that is where he would be and not playing reading away.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Why? He’s contracted to us for another 2 seasons after this. If we stay up we’ll be approaching our 4th successive Premier League season. Let’s lose the small-club mentality; we’re ahead of Leeds in every single aspect other than history.

While I can accept that, almost no player is going to want to play for us over Leeds in the PL. Glass half empty take on things I appreciate, but a player reluctantly coming back to us is how I envisage it. The fact that Leeds keep on getting these last minute goals to win games is a bloody nightmare :lolol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
anyway he is decent enough, but not premiership level. if he was that is where he would be and not playing reading away.

Absolutely - I mean, I can't think of a single player who has gone from playing in the Championship, to playing in the Premier League, in the last ten years or so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This has reminded me, I was going to post a poll on where people see us in the "bigness league", ie if you rate clubs down from the very biggest (Sheffield Wednesday, obvs) down, what position would you place us in?

I'll post it tomorrow - interested to see where the average placing is.
Have you sort permission from [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]?

The reason I came to this thread was to wonder how many pointless posts would have been made if next August the first starting XI of the season contains:-

- Leeds' Ben White
- Argie McJocko
&
- Percy.

If only we were a big enough club to have such exciting prospects to look forward too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Leeds can't afford White even if they go up.

They would be mad to spend such a large chunk of their first year PL money on 1 player. Not happening.

Liverpool or Man Utd ? Different story.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Can't quite believe some of the forelock tugging on this thread towards Leeds - yes alright, they have a bigger fanbase than us, a bigger stadium, and are historically a larger club:bla:. Doesn't change the fact that, so long as we avoid relegation, and unless Leeds stump up an ridiculous fee in the summer ( given how well he might fit into Potterball, it would have to be a bloody big bid for us to sell him), he's staying put

Conveniently ignoring the ‘potentially disgruntled player’ aspect of it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
aye up lads. white is a decent player, reliable and consistent. but he is playing in the championship, against championship standard teams, doesn't take much to look great against some of the shite down there. there is a lot of hysteria surrounding him.

a lot of his "talent" (and not to say other teams can't do same but they don't in championship where there is so much hack and hoof ball) is how well drilled leeds are. Bielsa has them individually knowing a -> b --> c and so he is surrounded by players he knows will be doing x so he can do y and when you are that well drilled and fit (poor kid thought he was in good condition when he came to leeds and was soon told to shape up) it is hard to look awful.

:drink::drink::drink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If it is so hard to ‘look awful’ at Bielsa’s Leeds, how come Harrison, Alioski, Bamford, Brown and Forshaw have regularly managed it over the past 2 seasons? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here