Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I would recall White in January, i have concerns about Duffy and Burn and feel White would slot straight into the side with Webster and Dunk.
The squad is already two short with the loans of Locadia and Andone so White would be a welcome addition with a new striker.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it opened in 2014 so it's been in operation for just over 5 years. I think Paul Barber mentioned a figure of £5m per annum so the total running costs to date will be in the £20-£25m ball park. A few slightly different figures for the initial building cost were given, but £30m seemed to be the number most frequently quoted and seems very plausible. They are currently upgrading it and I believe this was reported as a further £20m investment. All comes to around £70-£75m (!!!).

Each category 1 academy gets a grant towards running costs, which IIRC, is around £900k per year. Obviously American Express sponsor the facility, but this won't be much in the grand scheme of things, so even taking grants and sponsorship into account we're still talking around £65-70m in total.

Tony Bloom certainly has a very clear idea about how he wants to progress the club and has backed his vision with a huge, huge sum.

As an old git who grew up in an age when we schoolboys all 'supported' a div 1 side, and only some of us rocked up to the Goldstone to watch, more in hope than expectation, that maybe one day we actually would 'win Division 3' . . . . . I still think there is an insufficiency in belief and arrogance about our club of the sort you see in some other cities. A slight inferiority complex? Little 'ole Brighton? Not really a Football City?......

I have a sense Tony Bloom wants to change that more than anything. Root and branch. His vision is that we become a proper football city where the club has meaning and resonance just as Liverpool FC has resonance in half of that city.

We are very fortunate. But after all the crap the 5,000 hard core have been through over the last 30 years, we deserve it. Happy days.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think we have abundance of CBs and IMO Burn is weakest.

I certainly don’t think White is as good as Stephens, but can understand the logic.
Interesting re RB, as initially I thought that may be White’s future when I first saw him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On transfer market he is listed as a RB as his secondary position. I would like to see him in either role personally. He seems to be worth 10 times more than Stephens and Montoya put together with all the interest in him in today's market. Stephens is okay but next season he will be 31 pushing on 32, and he is not going to get any faster or stronger.

I have just got a feeling with the defenders that we have, and with White in front soaking up the midfield and distributing, that we would be quite a formidable team to break down at the back in the new era, if we really want to aim high. But that is just my feeling not necessarily the reality.

I would be gutted if he went to another club without him putting a first team Albion shirt on.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Interesting. Is there any fact behind your idea that White can play Dales role or is that just pure speculation?

I mean I like the idea for sure.

Just my speculation because he is not only good and strong at defending, he is very good on the ball and distribution. He is certainly going to be faster and fitter than Stephens and would probably be less prone to late tackles because he wont be beaten so often.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On transfer market he is listed as a RB as his secondary position. I would like to see him in either role personally. He seems to be worth 10 times more than Stephens and Montoya put together with all the interest in him in today's market. Stephens is okay but next season he will be 31 pushing on 32, and he is not going to get any faster or stronger.

I have just got a feeling with the defenders that we have, and with White in front soaking up the midfield and distributing, that we would be quite a formidable team to break down at the back in the new era, if we really want to aim high. But that is just my feeling not necessarily the reality.

I would be gutted if he went to another club without him putting a first team Albion shirt on.

Me too. On the basis he's starting to look like possibly the best academy prospect we've produced, I'd be staggered if the club let him go without doing so, even if it's only one season, he continues to tear it up and then get's his head turned by a top four team and we get a ridiculous offer.

He'll probably have a stinker live on TV tonight. :smile:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Me too. On the basis he's starting to look like possibly the best academy prospect we've produced, I'd be staggered if the club let him go without doing so, even if it's only one season, he continues to tear it up and then get's his head turned by a top four team and we get a ridiculous offer.

He'll probably have a stinker live on TV tonight. :smile:

I haven't got SS :(

Keep us posted and let us know if Potter and Bloom are in the crowd!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The sounds from the club suggests he won’t be recalled, and that makes sense tbh. There’s no rush here, also makes sense playing wise and business wise to leave him where he is.

Right now he has guaranteed 1st team spot in a very dynamic Leeds side. If we recalled him and for whatever reason didn’t play much or got injured, his value would stagnate, or worse.. be seen as not good enough for the Prem.

By leaving him where he is we virtually guarantee he’ll be one of the Championship defenders of the year, his value will match that of Mings (20 odd million). If he then takes of for us his value could potentially go through the roof.

It’s a really fantastic problem to have and I can’t wait to see which prospects we loan out next year.

It makes sound business sense if we stay up. If we're relegated, it doesn't look quite as good

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Couple of deluded Leeds fans at work who think he will just sign for them and not comeback

Seen plenty of similar delusion on social media based on their history and Elland road having about 7000 more seats than the Amex. I can’t see us selling to anyone but big 6, although it’s funny that The Leeds will have to shell out a minimum of £30m to keep or adequately replace one of the key players that got them promoted. It’d have been like us having to blow half our first season’s transfer budget on keeping Lewis Dunk after we got promoted.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If footballers were awarded points for style he'd be right up with VVD. Let's hope he can defend like him in the Premier League.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Me too......

And Balata?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Duffy's days are numbered and wonder if he was recalled whether we could field a back three with White on the right Webster in the middle and Dunk on the left. As has been said by others I think that Burn is the weak link and although I havent been impressed with Webster I think that he could make the grade alongside of Dunk..

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The sounds from the club suggests he won’t be recalled, and that makes sense tbh. There’s no rush here, also makes sense playing wise and business wise to leave him where he is.

Right now he has guaranteed 1st team spot in a very dynamic Leeds side. If we recalled him and for whatever reason didn’t play much or got injured, his value would stagnate, or worse.. be seen as not good enough for the Prem.

By leaving him where he is we virtually guarantee he’ll be one of the Championship defenders of the year, his value will match that of Mings (20 odd million). If he then takes of for us his value could potentially go through the roof.

It’s a really fantastic problem to have and I can’t wait to see which prospects we loan out next year.

But what about the fact that we would benefit now from another class CB?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here