Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Selling players at the top of their valuation is the master plan.

I just don't think it is. I see no evidence of it.

The masterplan is to bring players through to make Brighton (not Man U, not Leeds, not anyone else) better and it's working.

There are two caveats to this. Firstly we are going to sell some of the academy players as we can't play them all, but crucially I think it's going to be the ones we want to sell. I think about half of the academy players on loan at the moment will never come back to us, we'll make a few million on them and this will cover the annual running costs.

Secondly, we might end up in a situation where we have a genuine megastar, as opposed to a prospect, on our hands. In this circumstance I don't think we would hold onto someone against their will if they were getting offers from Champions League clubs, but we'd be selling to do the right thing by them and maintain squad morale rather than to make a profit. They would have done their dues for us and we will be sure the rinse the buying club for the full price of a category A academy

If he is going to be sold in the summer we are best off recalling him in January, giving him PL experience, and adding to his value.

What, and risk him suddenly becoming inconsistent on the Premier League stage like Knockaert? White is also on course to become Championship player of the season, so the best thing would be to let him stay at Leeds. Come the summer, we should then have the absolute luxury of deciding whether to keep him or sell him for silly money.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Academy is an important part of the plan. As Chelsea have shown you can both circumvent FFP as well as developing players for your first team. Developing and buying young talent is exempt from FFP but profits made are allowable for increasing our playing budget. Therefore if we can keep a steady stream of talent being sold on it can subsidize the 1st team wage bill and enable us to buy other better players. That said why would we want to sell players who can make our team better? Players who cost little or no fee, who are on less wages and who will get better and be worth even more in the future. Trick of course is being able to know which players are on which path...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The Academy is an important part of the plan. As Chelsea have shown you can both circumvent FFP as well as developing players for your first team. Developing and buying young talent is exempt from FFP but profits made are allowable for increasing our playing budget. Therefore if we can keep a steady stream of talent being sold on it can subsidize the 1st team wage bill and enable us to buy other better players. That said why would we want to sell players who can make our team better? Players who cost little or no fee, who are on less wages and who will get better and be worth even more in the future. Trick of course is being able to know which players are on which path...

Which is why Dan Ashworth was appointed to oversee the whole process and make sure we're getting those decisions right. Right now, you can easily make the argument that we are. Ben White is impressing everyone at Leeds and will be ready to join our squad for next season, but on the other hand, Christian Walton is disappointing Blackburn's fans so I would assume we'll sell him next summer and bank whatever fee we receive.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I suggest if Leeds get promoted and White wants to stay there, it’ll happen.

We don’t have a record of keeping unhappy players and nor should we.

If he wants to play for us Leeds will have no chance of getting him but if he wants to stay at Leeds the transfer will happen imo

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

If he wants to play for us Leeds will have no chance of getting him but if he wants to stay at Leeds the transfer will happen imo

Really ?....A. I think we want him and B. I don't know much about the finances at Leeds but are they going to throw 30 million our way for him ?....I doubt it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

White will not being playing for Leeds, next season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

:lolol: Yes because we are likely to sell a player to a league rival who have just been promoted, they wouldn’t be able to afford him anyway if he continues his development arc. Very strange thought process IMO, so many of our fans still have small club mindset.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:lolol: Yes because we are likely to sell a player to a league rival who have just been promoted, they wouldn’t be able to afford him anyway. Very strange thought process IMO, so many of our fans still have small club mindset.

Nope I have the mindset of we don’t keep players who don’t want to be here. Locadia and Andone being pretty good examples.

I did say that if he wants to play for us that he won’t be going anywhere, but you and others under estimate the pull of a club like Leeds if they were PL.

All about opinions and we’ll see what happens. Leeds might come up and we go down, are you thinking we could still keep him then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nope I have the mindset of we don’t keep players who don’t want to be here. Locadia and Andone being pretty good examples.

I did say that if he wants to play for us that he won’t be going anywhere, you and others under estimate the pull of a club like Leeds if they were PL.

All about opinions and we’ll see what happens. Leeds might come up and we go down, are you thinking we could still keep him then?
I don't think you can equate scattering unwanted players around Europe, with a young talented home grown player, who'll have a ready made spot in the squad, being sold to Leeds.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think you can equate scattering unwanted players around Europe, with a young talented home grown player, who'll have a ready made spot in the squad, being sold to Leeds.

What if he digs his heels in about wanting to stay at Leeds and they are willing to pay good money? Pretty well nobody apart from Zaha is kept prisoner at a club they want out of.

Disclaimer - I have no reason to think he won’t be creaming himself at leaving Leeds and coming back here though :smile:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really ?....A. I think we want him and B. I don't know much about the finances at Leeds but are they going to throw 30 million our way for him ?....I doubt it

Rumours abound of them being bought by a Qatari consortium. If that went through, a statement signing of a hugely popular player might be just how they'd want to introduce themselves to the fans...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think you’re wrong. He will still have 2 years left on his contract next summer and we aren’t going to be bullied by a newly promoted club, regardless of how big they think they are. Let’s get over the inferiority complex; we get 30K every week, have some of the best training facilities and the country and are in our 3rd season in the top flight. The only clubs with the finances and prestige to turn his head would be one of the big 6.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What if he digs his heels in about wanting to stay at Leeds and they are willing to pay good money? Pretty well nobody apart from Zaha is kept prisoner at a club they want out of.

Disclaimer - I have no reason to think he won’t be creaming himself at leaving Leeds and coming back here though :smile:

Dale Stephens? And that was with only 9 months left on his contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here