Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a casual

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
"It" died, when everyone started calling it "casual" circa 1983-85. Everything else since has been evolving into whatever "it" is now. Young lads who ape those days now, in SI and adidas, are missing the point. Not the right society or culture around football nowadays to catch now what was back then. Lots of things, terracing, cheap tickets, Thatcherism, plod being less able to deal with lads, no distractions like the internet, no Sky TV, no mobiles, less money around, the shopping with the bird option, nothing beat the matchday experience. That's all changed now, for better or worse, football and society have moved on. The face of British football now is face painted whoppers in Fellaini wigs, waiting down the pub for SuperSunday to start, wearing 3-D specs etc, etc.

It's over, finished.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
"It" died, when everyone started calling it "casual" circa 1983-85. Everything else since has been evolving into whatever "it" is now. Young lads who ape those days now, in SI and adidas, are missing the point. Not the right society or culture around football nowadays to catch now what was back then. Lots of things, terracing, cheap tickets, Thatcherism, plod being less able to deal with lads, no distractions like the internet, no Sky TV, no mobiles, less money around, the shopping with the bird option, nothing beat the matchday experience. That's all changed now, for better or worse, football and society have moved on. The face of British football now is face painted whoppers in Fellaini wigs, waiting down the pub for SuperSunday to start, wearing 3-D specs etc, etc.

It's over, finished.

Good points.
Is there anything wrong with wearing decent clothes ???

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Problem is, everyone's idea of 'decent clothes' is different. However, no man is ever going to look good in those plunging v t-shirts and skinny jeans, or those ****ing jeans with elastic in the cuffs, and those girly pump shoes and no socks. Or fun boy hair, ever, or.......etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Problem is, everyone's idea of 'decent clothes' is different. However, no man is ever going to look good in those plunging v t-shirts and skinny jeans, or those ****ing jeans with elastic in the cuffs, and those girly pump shoes and no socks. Or fun boy hair, ever, or.......etc

Rarely have I ever seen wiser words on this board.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I used to love the clobber back in the day, SI was a great label in the late 80's - 90's now sadly ruined by the masses. Lacoste is timeless and still wear the odd piece to day, as for Fila, Sergio T, Farah, Lois etc it should stay firmly in past. Saying that I used to adore my Fila roll neck kept me warm on many away trip up north.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Lots of good stuff around today too, I still sport a bit of SI, some vintage (1991 Raso Gommato, still decent, peeling a bit inside, but can't let it go) and I always look at each season's releases, rarely buy much of it anymore after I threw out a bundle on the 30 Anni stuff, and all that I've since sold on as I've never worn any of it. The trouble with a lot of gear, and I'm not talking about 80s rent-a-casual shite, but good menswear from the likes of Oi Polloi and our very own Peggs in Duke Street, is that it's all a bit too heritage and bordering on hipsterish right now. I swear I see more Hoxton wankers in good clobber than anyone at the match nowadays. They're still wearing it wrong, but they are hipsters after all and that's the point. It takes a lot of effort to look like a dishevelled beat poet/geography teacher just returned from a ramble in the hills.

It's hard for young lads nowadays, but they'll learn **** all from Nick Love films. 'Casual' is a museum piece, a bedtime story of ancient tales of chivalry in enemy territory aboard football specials, of flick haircuts and Levis. Great for a yarn, but nothing is about today that is similar, just young lads looking as anachronistic as old Teds (or teds LOL) back in my youth.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

This 100% :)

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Yeah Stuart, the old huckster LOL. Watch Cass Pennant's 'Casuals' (which is better than you'd think with the title, apart from those silly little 'moduals' on Worthing Pier at the end *cringe*) there's an old Chelsea face talking about how Stuart used to try and sell him gear "No-one else has this, definitely not in this colour" even though it was far too big for him. This kid wears it home on the bus home, all proud even though the top's drowning him, and spots another lad in the exact same top, same colour, then another, in about 5 minutes. Stuarts still got good stuff online, but all those shops are too much of the same. There's no exclusivity anymore, no oneupmanship, it's identikit wear, not complaining like, I'm too old to care.

Dandyman

In London village.

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
@ The truth ..."The Casuals were a load of Pansies who found acceptance within a group of highly vain young men.

These days, if you cared that much about your image like the casuals did, No one would think you're tough. " ......
You clearly are clueless ...your posts on this subject are embarassing mate .ANYBODY THAT MENTIONS GREEN STREET IN REFERENCE TOO CASUALS OR FOOTBALL FIRMS IS A DIV!
Try "Cass" for something more realistic .Stop commenting on something you blatantly have no knowledge of FOOL.My guess is youre a little bit scared of them because unlike the modern day leftist/anarcho right on cretins that pose and pretend to do revolutionary stuff in Brighton they were and are a genuine WORKING CLASS culture.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
@ The truth ..."The Casuals were a load of Pansies who found acceptance within a group of highly vain young men.

These days, if you cared that much about your image like the casuals did, No one would think you're tough. " ......
You clearly are clueless ...your posts on this subject are embarassing mate .ANYBODY THAT MENTIONS GREEN STREET IN REFERENCE TOO CASUALS OR FOOTBALL FIRMS IS A DIV!
Try "Cass" for something more realistic .Stop commenting on something you blatantly have no knowledge of FOOL.My guess is youre a little bit scared of them because unlike the modern day leftist/anarcho right on cretins that pose and pretend to do revolutionary stuff in Brighton they were and are a genuine WORKING CLASS culture.

It's a shame this thread was thrown off track at the start, you are correct about Green Street.
The film that does give the start of the casual scene some credit is Awaydays, based on the book by Kevin Sampson.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
When I hear/see Gabicci, I always think of Norman Jay for some reason. Acid Jazzers were into it big, always a good label on black lads too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here