Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a casual

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Ah, I stand corrected - I didn't see that post and it's still a ridiculous assertion in my view. I'm now going to make this the last time I respond to you on this thread as you ALWAYS make it about you and I for one would rather talk about casuals with people who know what they are talking about. I'd suggest everyone else ignore your rants too.

Ok then sir. Let's talk about casuals and not about me. Deal?

Like I said before, The Casuals were just a bunch of pansies who were more afraid of ruining their hair than getting a broken nose.
A bit of nostalgia for people who didn't have much fun.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Why were you so pathetic about it?

You do a fine job of being immature and annoying, fair play

Can you stop talking about me and start talking about the infamous Casuals please?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
you have succeeded in ruining this thread

well done, you must be proud

it was aimed for memories, chat, debate, etc

not this childish stuff you bring to the party

Let's ignore him and carry on.

I think DiP is wrong to say that Aberdeen were the first casual firm. I thought from reading about it, it was the likes of Liverpool and Everton back in the 80s especially after shopping trips whilst on 'tour' in Europe - hence the Italian label fetish. I thought Aberdeen copied the Scallies and were the first in Scotland. The London clubs that picked up on it first were, from what I remember Spurs and West Ham. Chelsea were a bit later. I used to get taken to Chelsea games with my stepdad who was more the 70s style lad. I remember going into the Swan Pub on Fulham Road back in 83 or so and there was still a hardcore contingent of Skins - probably due to Chelsea's reputation at the time of being a white working class club with a right-wing fanbase. But that's just my impression and happy to be corrected - Bushy will know more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
you have succeeded in ruining this thread

well done, you must be proud

it was aimed for memories, chat, debate, etc

not this childish stuff you bring to the party

he does it ask the time, he hasn't even got started yet. if you engage with him he never lets up.

Sad really.

back on track though, I was never into the violence but I loved the clothes. race and house music was more my era to be honest but I think youth culture flows from one to another as buzzer suggested. one thing I liked about Brighton in the 90s was that you could be into all sorts simultaneously. a kind of eclectic mix of youth culture United instead of fighting.

paul & shark

Sep 17, 2013
It is funny, as some London lots try and claim they started the scene.

When in fact you are correct in what you are saying, Liverpools shopping trips in Europe were trhe catalyst of the 'scene'

It has obviosuly evolved alot, and different fashions have come and gone.

One thing West Ham did do was give themselves an identity, they were pretty vicious in the way they went about there business, the ICF were the first organised 'firm' to appear.

Excuse my lack of language, grammar, writing style etc

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

When in fact you are correct in what you are saying, Liverpools shopping trips in Europe were trhe catalyst of the 'scene'

One thing West Ham did do was give themselves an identity, they were pretty vicious in the way they went about there business, the ICF were the first organised 'firm' to appear.

No worries mate. I remember reading a Who's Who of firms back in the day - no idea if it was a newspaper or book but I do remember them being very dismissive of the way that Man U fans dressed. They spoke about the sheer numbers the Red Army took away and that they were no-one's mugs but that well after everyone else was getting into Ellesse and Farah they were still doing donkey jackets and monkey boots.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

I would love to see some of the posters on this thread telling the mid 80's ICF they are pansies...

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
he does it ask the time, he hasn't even got started yet. if you engage with him he never lets up.

Sad really.

Badfish, I know how you love to make me your topic of discussion whilst you're living in Australia but for the sake of this thread, Stop talking about me and start talking about Casuals.
Little Englanders can be easily distracted remember.

PS Will I ever make a post without you lurking around my shoulder? It's clear I really can get under your skin, I apologise and i hope you can find a way to get over me. Maybe you should spend more time on someone else? What's happened to Pastafarian? You 2 got on like a house on fire! what happened?

Really Sad.

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I would love to see some of the posters on this thread telling the mid 80's ICF they are pansies...

They would be on their pensions now wouldn't they?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Its a huge part of British youth culture, maybe frowned upon by scarfers but hey ho

Mods
Skins
Teddy boys
Casuals
Punks
Rockers

Was you any of these?
What do define as huge? All the others you mention mods rockers etc there were hundreds of thousands, casuals wouldn't number even 1000.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Some might be. The main faces would probably be early to mid 50's. Don't think it makes a difference either way to be honest...

I suppose a zimmer-frame can be used as a dangerous weapon.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have a theory, completely unscientific, that there is something innately aggressive about the British. We're a chaotic bunch of people and on one side we're capable of brilliant original thinking giving the world great art, music, science and literature but the flip side is we're world class at being chippy, violent b*stards. Add to that the island race mentality and that's the reason why we were so effective at building the biggest empire the world has ever seen - it gave an outlet for all the aggression. The baby boomers were the first generation of Brits not to be called up to war and so they looked for the bloodlust within - hence the mods and rockers in the 60s and footie ever since.

It's why I think there are still footie firms nowadays despite the risks attached to it. Governments and the police will never stamp out footie violence completely because the violence is part of who we are. Go to any high street on a Friday night and you'll see it come to the surface.

I'll get off my soap box now....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Being a kid it was all lois cords (of various colours), ellesse, farah, fred perry, lyle and scott, sergio tacchini etc. Potters, Vokins and there was one in churchill square by the back near Tesco that sold the lois cords. I read a magazine article "shopping at stuarts" the casuals port of call in London.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suppose a zimmer-frame can be used as a dangerous weapon.

This was a mildly distracting discussion until you stuck your nose in.

I can't add anything to the thread; it's an interesting historical culture thread that I'm viewing from the sidelines, but I'm getting cheesed off with your meaningless interventions.

Please stop. By all means start your own thread about fashion, but sod off from this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here