Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beef burger beef

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I had a burger from Smoque Grill in Islingword Road a few days ago. They haven't been there very long. Handmade and reasonably priced it was really very good.

Recently voted the 2nd best takeaway in the UK by some awards panel or other, and rightly so. Wish they'd open one in Worthing

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
And the Frau has had a ruck in London as they won't cook her lunch time burger anything other than well done due to health and safety.

Not due to health and safety. They might say it is, but it isn't. Lots of places in London will serve you a burger cooked however you want it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe i'm just used to having my burger cooked properly, it wasn't served cold, but went cold after about 5 minutes. I was quite disappointed as it was very highly rated, the chips were good though (and the beer was great, but it's germany so you'd expect nothing less).

Ah, my burger doesn't last more than five minutes so maybe I have found the issue! We agree on the chips and beer though; the chips especially. Did you go to the Prenzlauer Berg or Kreuzberg branch? The former is the original, the latter is new and they had a few issues starting up.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Brighton EHOs will not let ANY burger restaurants in Brighton cook the burgers medium and have threatened to close them down if they do.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As a nipper in the late 70s I often went in to the Market Diner with my old man, he worked at the market so we'd be getting breakfast. They had 'hamburger' on the menu. For ages I actually thought it was made of ham. Then I went to Cuba in the late 90s and guess what, their hamburgers were made of ham!

*Before I'd seen it written as 'hamburger', I thought they were called 'handburgers', because you picked them up and ate them with your hands. Tell that to kids today and they won't believe you!

A bit like me as a kid with grapefruit, until l was old enough to realise, l thought they were called 'greatfruit', because of their size, big round and yellow!l.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Burgers

Ha!Arseh*les,earholes,lips and nostrils. Oh, hang on,silly me, I'm confusing myself with a well known make of pasty beginning with "G". D'oh!

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Ah, my burger doesn't last more than five minutes so maybe I have found the issue! We agree on the chips and beer though; the chips especially. Did you go to the Prenzlauer Berg or Kreuzberg branch? The former is the original, the latter is new and they had a few issues starting up.

Prenzlauer. Lovely area, went to an amazing bar around there although I can't remember the name. Seem to remember there being a few sports grounds very close by, I watched a bit of the football training and the standard was pretty high. If you live around there I'm very jealous. Off back there in June.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Prenzlauer. Lovely area, went to an amazing bar around there although I can't remember the name. Seem to remember there being a few sports grounds very close by, I watched a bit of the football training and the standard was pretty high. If you live around there I'm very jealous. Off back there in June.

I used to live there but I've now moved to Mitte but I'm the Prenz side so it's only a few stops on the tram. I do work there though which is very delightful especially now the weather has improved.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
As a nipper in the late 70s I often went in to the Market Diner with my old man, he worked at the market so we'd be getting breakfast. They had 'hamburger' on the menu. For ages I actually thought it was made of ham. Then I went to Cuba in the late 90s and guess what, their hamburgers were made of ham!

*Before I'd seen it written as 'hamburger', I thought they were called 'handburgers', because you picked them up and ate them with your hands. Tell that to kids today and they won't believe you!
:laugh:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It really must be stressed that eating a rare steak and a rare hamburger carry different levels of risk. Bacteria tend to develop on the exterior of meat. This means that when you cook a steak, the bacteria are quickly exposed to heat and killed. The pink or bloody bit in the middle was very unlikely to have any bacteria on it in the first place.
If you've minced a cut of meat, you've moved the bacteria around. Some might be in the center and won't be killed by searing: the burger needs to be cooked through to guarantee that the bacteria are dead. That said, I've eaten many a pink burger and not had food poisoning, so the risk does need to be put in perspective.

The issue is apparently that once minced the small amount of surface bacteria now have an opportunity to get going and reproduce inside. Obviously this is only an issue if the mince is made well in advance, and becomes more of an issue for prefabricated burgers from meat processing plants.
The amount of bacteria on the surface of a well kept cut of meat is of a level and type to not to cause harm, hence why it's fine to eat steak tartar. Why a well made burger is considered a risk unless well done is a mystery, excepting that it's the wrong solution to people being sick from eating a reconstituted patty that's been sitting around luke warm until someone decided to drunkenly eat it.
I frequently make burgers from supermarket mince and eat them pink. If it's from the butchers I eat some raw before getting down to making them.
Anyhow I'm with the op on this one, if a supposed quality burger place is not prepared to serve a pink burger it's not a quality burger place. I've walked out of several for this reason and sadly the Hawksmoor is a bit of a trip.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, the local burger place we go to will quite rightly ask you to leave the restaurant if you ask for a burger cooked more than medium. And the Frau has had a ruck in London as they won't cook her lunch time burger anything other than well done due to health and safety. Bonkers.

Blame the FSA and local jobsworths at councils. It is guidance only to not cook meat rare. It's only weak liverlillied restaurants that don't cook it to the customers requirements.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyhow I'm with the op on this one, if a supposed quality burger place is not prepared to serve a pink burger it's not a quality burger place. I've walked out of several for this reason and sadly the Hawksmoor is a bit of a trip.

Hawksmoor is well worth the trip though. Only been the once but everything hit the spot.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Looks like the customer is always wrong !

Tell them, they are only a bloody cook, you are paying, and you will have it however you want

Pretentious cooks piss me off as much as pretentious musicians. You are not a brain surgeon FFS :rant:

(and if you think they are right to ask you to leave HT, then you are as bad as them) .................................... and relax

Reminds me of when we went for a meal with friends at a restaurant at 7 dials. When my wife ordered duck she asked for it to be cooked medium to well. I know ideally duck is better cooked a little less but each to his or her own. However the up her own arris waitress announced very loudly so everyone in the restaurant could hear, 'The chef will prepare it as he thinks best'. to which My wife retorted, ' and I am the customer and will choose to pay what a meal is worth, and you are a waitress, no more or less and you now have four less customers as we are leaving'
The waitress went red, there was a roar of laughter from others in there and we walked out and went somewhere else.

Funnily that restaurant is no longer there, I wonder why?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reminds me of when we went for a meal with friends at a restaurant at 7 dials. When my wife ordered duck she asked for it to be cooked medium to well. I know ideally duck is better cooked a little less but each to his or her own. However the up her own arris waitress announced very loudly so everyone in the restaurant could hear, 'The chef will prepare it as he thinks best'. to which My wife retorted, ' and I am the customer and will choose to pay what a meal is worth, and you are a waitress, no more or less and you now have four less customers as we are leaving'
The waitress went red, there was a roar of laughter from others in there and we walked out and went somewhere else.

Funnily that restaurant is no longer there, I wonder why?

Ha. Maybe Frau Tubthumper and Missus A mex eyecan should hit the town together one evening? We can head out with Westdean.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Burgers don't taste the same nowadays without the horsemeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here