Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Becky Watts

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Drew would argue that you couldn't be 100% sure that she did not consent to it.

Moronic comment. But then each of your posts seem to get worse. First you make a case for capital punishment and now you are putting the responsibility on the family of the victims. What if in this case the father wants the death penalty but his wife, the mother of the scumbag, doesn't What if you have a case where one biological parent wants the death penalty and the other doesn't.

It's a knee jerk reaction for some to clamour for the death penalty in a case like this but there are too many instances where the wrong person has been convicted of a crime, in some cases, their innocence being proven when it's too late. What I do agree with from some other posters is that life should mean life.

That said, I like the way you seem to think that even if you aren't 100% sure of guilt the death penalty is ok.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
And 5 years later after their anger, angst, sense of devastation and needing revenge has subsided and they see things in a very different light and now they are wracked with remorse because they had the final say on execution and have that burden on their collective conscience for the rest of their lives?

There is a good reason for justice being dispassionate.

Yes I understand that argument, and also psychological burden put on the person carrying it out. However we can target British ISIL members with a drone without too much of a conscience.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
What would you class as serious punishment though? 25 years and then let them free to walk our streets?

I would have thought people like you would be happy to see them on "our" streets. I'm pretty certain they would be more at risk from certain members of the public than the public at large would be at risk from them re-offending.

It certainly makes his grammar bad. Unless he wants him mounted on the wall of course...

Oh sorry, didn't realise it was a grammar debate, hanged by the neck, until he be dead.

I agree, and would willingly pull the lever.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I can't agree with the death penalty for any crime, after the Stefan Kiszko case.
The Police fitted him up, and, no doubt could do the same even with DNA evidence.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I read a few years ago of a case in Iran, I think it was , where a man was convicted of rape and sentenced to death. The family if the girl had to chose the method of execution and chose drowning. The man was bound and put in a sack in the bucket of a JCB and the girls father was told to drive the JCB and empty the bucket into a lake, which he did.

Aren't you the raconteur!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes I understand that argument, and also psychological burden put on the person carrying it out. However we can target British ISIL members with a drone without too much of a conscience.

What on earth has that got to do with whether or not to allow a victim's relatives to chose if the culprit lives or dies?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Capital punishment could be the perfect answer, and justifiable answer if........we could be 100% sure that the justice system could never, ever make a mistake.

Fred West, Lee Rugby's killers, Peter Sutcliffe, Russell Bishop, Myra Hindley and many others have all deserved to die in a tortured and excruciating manner. But I can never support the reintroduction of death penalty, as the death of one innocent is one too many. But we should have real LIFE sentences in terrible, terrible prisons.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The whole story makes my stomach turn. I'm not sure about capital punishment but they both need to get serious punishment for this.

How on earth did the mates think it was a good idea assisting the couple in hiding the body?

Just to clarify. Four others were charged with assisting an offender. Two were cleared yesterday, the other two pleaded guilty but adamantly deny they knew what Matthews and Hoare wanted to hide in their shed.

There has been no suggestion that anyone other than Matthews and Hoare knew what was going on.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Not to influence the debate on any reintroduction of the death penalty but did anyone hear that fact on Radio 2 today? When the UK had the death penalty, the were approx 100 murders a year. Now the numbers nearer 1000. Compare that with South Africa (population approx 44 million) where the death penalty is in place and they have 20 000 murders a year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Life sentence = shit loads of tax payers money wasted on keeping scum alive.

Not if the prisons food etc are the barest possible to be acceptable with no luxuries like tv, classes, cinema etc just 23 hours locked up with 1 hour a day exercise. Unfortunately the do gooders wouldnt allow that saying they must be re-educated and reformed why if they are going to die in there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
What on earth has that got to do with whether or not to allow a victim's relatives to chose if the culprit lives or dies?

It hasn't, the conversation is fluid and you brought up the burden of collective conscience which relates to anyone ordering it or carrying it out as an order, family or otherwise.

I went on to say as an example; to order the execution of someone via drone strike doesn't seem to have been considered too much of a heavy burden to the person who ordered it or the guy that pressed the fire button. So as far as executions go there is not a lot of difference, but the burden of conscience still lies with someone.

Whilst I understand the argument for the families not dictating the death sentence as not being fair on them, if a death sentence was given, the family could plea for clemency and save the accused life. In any case people wouldn't be taken out of court and killed in the corridor so they still have a chance even in the US.

Anyone who acted like Nathan Matthews and dismembers a body deserves to live with the possible eventuality of being executed later down the line. Whether they are or not is a different matter.

Last edited:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I suspect these types of killers are all sick people that are never likely to be cured. On that basis it is wrong to lock them away for a crime in order to punish them for our own self satisfaction. Capital punishment would seem to be the most reasonable solution

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
The reason this issue causes such a divide of opinion is down to the pathetic justice system!
We have no capital punishment....but then we have weak sentences for crimes in general which didn't then do anything halt the argument to bring back capital punishment for murders like this.
I'm all for Capitol punishment because a killer in this country could possibly be released after 20 or 30 years!
Does the family of a murder victim get their loved one back in 20 or 30 years???
However if we had sentencing like the US where a murderer or other serious offender is sent down for 100+ years then effectively both sides of the argument are met. Although the cost of keeping a prisoner for the rest of their lives comes into it versus cost of noose!! However, offender will die in prison without having their life taken per-say!
However....if someone killed one of my family.....bring out the hangman!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here