Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckhams kids in argie shirts

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
See it's that exactly that weirds me out. I'd agree the kids wouldn't be anywhere near as attached to England as others raised here but still, did he not even say "Look, boys, I know you like Messi and you'd much rather Argentina won than Germany and money is no object when it comes to clothing but Argentina FFS? In 1998 they caused me to have effigies of myself hung from East London lamposts."

Only he'd have said it in that high pitched voice and his grammar wouldn't have been as good.

Must admit, my emotional reaction when I saw it was WTF?

My rational reaction was different.

I guess we should see it all as a positive step forward in Anglo-Argentinian relations.

I actually wouldn't have cared had they been wearing Germany shirts. Didn't we all want them to win?

What if one had been wearing an Argentina shirt, one a Germany shirt and one a Brazil shirt?

(as a ps, I used to own and wear a retro Argentina shirt.)

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
He is disrespekting Margaret Thacher and all the others who died in the war to save the Falklands. He might as well of called his kids Evita, Malvinas and Belgrano. There was a time I would of jumped on him without having been asked twice but hes NOTHInG in my eyes any more, TRATOR.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This, this, this, this, this and this (except mine was mostly too young for withers - took him once in the last season and he did colouring in and got bored).

Here's a story that will gladden your heart. I live near a large recreation ground on the outskirts of town that has, for years, been the Saturday morning training ground to a local kids' football team. When I first moved in we were still mired at Withdean. There were a few Brighton shirts on the kids but also plenty of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Now my son has joined the team. At one training session towards the end of last season there was only ONE kid NOT in a Brighton replica kit. Every other kid was in one of some description. The managers took a picture and sent it to the club.

See, The Amex hasn't just improved pie and beer selection, view of football and comfortableness of padding of seat. It's made people better parents.

It's really nice to see kids wearing BHA shirts at training it's the same over this way, my youngest son was playing for a Seaford team when The Albion first went to the AMEX and one Saturday morning at training all bar one kid had some form of Albion kit, the odd one out had a Palace kit on. :ffsparr:
I told his father this was child cruelty.
When my 16 year old first started football training age 5 or 6 he was the only kid wearing an Albion shirt.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I wondered why people like this get tickets for this game anyway , 4 tickets ?? when there are fans out there who supported their team in Brazil and have supported their team all over the world and can't get to the game because not enough tickets . I would never wear another national teams colours anyway whether when I was young or now !

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Yes. 2 boys.

No they don't. Not when it comes to football shirts. I choose that.

Not if you do your job properly as a parent and brainwash them. Brighton and England. That's it. No other top allowed.

You sound like a great father.

My boy can support exactly whatever team he wants to.

I hope it's the same team as me, because I'd like to go to games together as he grows up.

But if not so be it.

Me and my two brothers support different teams to my Dad.

A brainwashed fan isn't a real fan imo.

Aug 23, 2011

I hope it's the same team as me, because I'd like to go to games together as he grows up.

But if not so be it.

Exactly, you can advise the kids but at the end of the day you are bringing up independently thinking people who should be allowed to make their own choices.

Do my kids also have to vote the same as me, like the same foods? What happens if my child doesn't like football, do i force them?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Ultimately, why does anyone care? If they want to wear an Argentina shirt and get in the spirit of the match then why not?

It's not like an England shirt would've made much more sense considering the occasion.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ultimately, why does anyone care? If they want to wear an Argentina shirt and get in the spirit of the match then why not?

It's not like an England shirt would've made much more sense considering the occasion.

Have you heard of the Falklands war or the football rivalry between England and Argentina?
I was surprised to see the boys wearing the shirts.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Have you heard of the Falklands war or the football rivalry between England and Argentina?

Have you heard of perspective?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Oddly enough I've heard of both, though I've never really been able to equate wars/conflict with sporting events so I don't see it as a reason to not wear the shirt.

As for footballing rivalry, yeah, that makes sense, though I would suggest that Germany are the bigger rivals, making Argentina the preferable choice.

But, again, I still don't really see the issue. If his kids asked to wear the shirts it would surely be better all round to let them rather than sit them all down and explain that they have to dislike a nation because bad things happened before they were born and, due to this artificial dislike, they can't wear a particular shirt.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was surprised that the two bigger kids opted for the far-inferior sky blue stripey mess rather than the EXQUISITE dark blue number with gold trim.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

But if not so be it.

Definitely got to put some pressure on the kids to do the right thing. It's called parental guidance. Can't let them go off supporting whoever they want, just like you can't let them eat what they want all the time - otherwise you'll end up with obese kids in ManUtd shirts everywhere!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Hahahaha! Really? Kids whose parents decided their teams for them aren't real fans and less of a fan than a kid who chooses for himself to support Man U? Yeah right!

So what happens if little Wayne Triggar comes home from school one day and says "Dad, I've decided I'm a Crystal Palace fan. I'm going to Selhurst Park with my mates on Saturday to see Palace v Wigan"?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So what happens if little Wayne Triggar comes home from school one day and says "Dad, I've decided I'm a Crystal Palace fan. I'm going to Selhurst Park with my mates on Saturday to see Palace v Wigan"?

Wayne Triggar? Where did you get that from? Is that supposed to be implying that my kids are chavs or scrotes or whatever? How about you play the ball and not the man?

And you don't seem to understand the concept of years of reinforcing upon young minds of who they support and why. Your scenario is not going to happen.

It's worth pointing out that my children were told constantly that we hate Palace the club but don't hate their fans because, like us, they support their local club. They were told to reserve their contempt for their schoolmates who are plastic premiership fans. Kids are merciless at school at any perceived weakness and my two like many young Brighton fans in the noughties were teased because of their football allegiance. It's important to point out who the 'true' fans are despite your ridiculous definition to the contrary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here