Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham 70 yard goal

Not bad but nothing special

No, you are right, he hit a ball when there was no keeper, and the goal is quite a lot bigger than the ball.
But.... he COULD have run on another 40 yards to make it easier.....and if he's MISSED, he could have looked really stupid......but he didn't miss.

Wait - he shot from 70 yards?? He should be FINED by his club for being so cavalier, entertainment my ASS, the dude could have missed! :jester:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
4.gif

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I tend to agree, but it underlines why he is such a big draw. I reckon a very high percentage of the Premiership players would have missed from there in practice, let alone a match situation.

Dead centre as well.

Calling it a match situation is talking the MLS up a little though isn't it? I'd pretty much class that as a practice match.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe the animosity towards Beckham just because he earns a fortune doing what we would all like to do (and I don't mean shagging posh). There was no goalkeeper as the goal was scored in 4th minute of injury time as the opposition goalie was up for corner looking for an equalizer.
Perhaps if Beckham had started the game against Croatia we wouldn't have a boring summer to look forward to afterall he was instrumental in getting us back to 2-2.

Give the guy a break, afterall, he did make his utd debut against us.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Give the guy a break

Not sure anyones being anti-Beckham at all... just disputing that it was such a great goal as is claimed.

personally, I don't think it was that special but I don't see how that has any bearing on how I feel about Beckham as player.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On watching that clip I couldn't even see the keeper at first......, thought they played the game over there with two refs on the pitch instead of a 'fourth official' ;)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Think I'd be pretty impressed if I saw any player, in a match, score a goal like that. Call it audacity, tallent, skill or luck. Most of us probably could kick the ball that far, let alone after 90 minutes of exercise, in a match, and that accuratly.

If a Brighton player scored a goal like that we wouldn't stop talking about it for months, telling all our mates who support Arsenal, Liverpool, Manu etc how tallented the player was. We'd be up in arms if it didn't win goal of the season.

It was an amazing goal, something rarely seen, no-one said the Lincoln goal wasn't amazing, and we'll forget about this one in a couple of weeks too.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'd be pretty worried if someone who has played football all their life couldn't kick a ball into an open goal from that distance. If the keeper was in the area and needed to be lobbed then that'd take some skill i.e. Beckham against Wimbledon. But that goal is just plain AVERAGE

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is this in a match or is it one of those half-time entertainment things? Was he supposed to hit the cross bar?

PrioryRoad

May 20, 2008
Can't believe the animosity towards Beckham just because he earns a fortune doing what we would all like to do (and I don't mean shagging posh). There was no goalkeeper as the goal was scored in 4th minute of injury time as the opposition goalie was up for corner looking for an equalizer.
Perhaps if Beckham had started the game against Croatia we wouldn't have a boring summer to look forward to afterall he was instrumental in getting us back to 2-2.

Give the guy a break, afterall, he did make his utd debut against us.

Totally agree, he pretty single handledly got us the result against Greece, not just the free kick but one of the inspiring perfomances i have seen in an England shirt since 90'.

Great player, Great captain.

:bowdown:

I'd be pretty worried if someone who has played football all their life couldn't kick a ball into an open goal from that distance. If the keeper was in the area and needed to be lobbed then that'd take some skill i.e. Beckham against Wimbledon. But that goal is just plain AVERAGE

Like I said above - if he missed it, he'd look like a useless goon.

Instead, it'll be all over the US news and elevate 'soccer' that little bit more over there.
I'm sure that'll be ridicule-worthy for most of us veterans and seasoned dreamers of brilliant and historic football, but for a relatively new country for the game - it's a bigger deal.

Never mind, Beckham isn't emailing everyone to say how great he is, or bigging himself up because he potted it - but still it gives an excuse for the jealous to curl their lip about him. Classic little English.

It was all the more amazing considering Lampard and Gerrard seem to fire over from 20 yards every time they get the ball in an England shirt.

I do think Beckham's had his day but would have him as a squad player certainly.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
it was a quality goal, near the by line to hit it to pretty much directly centre over 70 yards is some talent not as good as the half way line goal against the Dons but still credit where credit is due. Probably not as good as his goal the other week though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here