Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckford Red Card, What Happened??

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
He's been quietly getting better and better in my opinion. His pace is also really improving.

I noticed that yesterday, really picking up speed. He hasn't got the sustained pace of Buckley, CMS, etc... but he's starting to get the bursts you need to beat your marker. Very good show from him.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm not convinced that the referee would have thought that Vicente was clean through on goal until Danns fouled him. But the referee was probably not allowing for the FACT that Vicente in any sort of space is one of the most dangerous players we've seen at the Amex.

Spot on there Your Lordship. I reckon Vicente would have gone on to bury it had Desperate Danns not cynically checked him, but there were a still a couple of defenders in front of him (i.e. behind the ball) at the time, so technically he wasn't the last man. That said, I'd have still given the narky blurt a straight Red. :lolol:

ps I wonder if the Beckford dismissal had anything to do with the recent arrest of Master Dunk? I wouldn't put it past opposition players to be handing out the verbals tbh...

DavidWatts

Nov 12, 2011
Mid Sussex
I wouldn't have been surprised if Bridcutt would have seen red if Sparrow hadn't already been sent off. Ref was definitely looking to even the numbers-up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was watching that inncident all the way and tbh I didnt see anything wrong from Drinkwater

I sit on the halfway line over in the East, and I agree. It was a little bit of handbags and El-Abd did what El-Abd does by feeling contact and going down, but there was nothing in it. He's such a wind up merchant, I love that he plays for us. When the time comes and he leaves, I will no longer like him!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Spot on there Your Lordship. I reckon Vicente would have gone on to bury it had Desperate Danns not cynically checked him, but there were a still a couple of defenders in front of him (i.e. behind the ball) at the time, so technically he wasn't the last man. That said, I'd have still given the narky blurt a straight Red. :lolol:

ps I wonder if the Beckford dismissal had anything to do with the recent arrest of Master Dunk? I wouldn't put it past opposition players to be handing out the verbals tbh...

The laws of the game do not mention anything about a player having to be the last man, so your instinct of giving an instant red would have been justified :)

FalmerFox

Feb 4, 2012
Drinkwater should have gone?! Did you see one of your players karate kick him to the head? High foot twice in under a minute, neither given!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The laws of the game do not mention anything about a player having to be the last man, so your instinct of giving an instant red would have been justified :)

Thanks for the clarification, Rapper. With my evident lack of knowledge with regard to the current rules, I reckon I'd be a shoe-in for Championship Officialdom. :thumbsup:

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
drinkwater threw a haymaker at el abd although it missed by a mile surely a red if seen. shame as he looks a quality player, very rooney like including the temper!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Drinkwater should have gone?! Did you see one of your players karate kick him to the head? High foot twice in under a minute, neither given!

Our website had a picture of it actually, one of them. Sparrow completely in control, your player shying away and no-one having their life endangered. A bit like the Sparrow tackle a bit later, very 50/50 and whoever got there second was getting sent off. Nothing wrong with the tackle from either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I sit on the halfway line over in the East, and I agree. It was a little bit of handbags and El-Abd did what El-Abd does by feeling contact and going down, but there was nothing in it. He's such a wind up merchant, I love that he plays for us. When the time comes and he leaves, I will no longer like him!

as good as I'm front of me and i entirely agree with your analysis sherlock

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was still in the fuckng queue for tea.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

That would be when he fell over looked at the ref for ten seconds then realised his head really hurt? Drinkwater did two of the most embarassing dive's i've ever seen

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Dunk indicated to a Leicester player that the red was for kicking out while Beckford was leaving the pitch

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Lino flagged after beckford dragged his boot by dunks head, did look intentional like he meant to catch dunk as he walked off.

Yes Keaton, this was 100% what the red was for, it was intent to kick Dunk in the head.

Beckford was mouthing off fiercely but Lino didn't react until the moment when Beckford turned away after tapping Dunk on the side and dragged his boot by his head.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
And what was wrong with Sparrow? 50/50 challenge

went in with both feet off the ground with "studs up" in old language. according to the laws of the game that's now regarded as not being in control and therefore reckless and dangerous, for which the punishemnt is an automatic red card. Which from wheer Iwas in WSU, looked fair enough.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
as he basically nudged him in the ribs and that was it.

It was after he nudged him, Beckford turned to walk away but you could tell he was aware of Dunk's head and moved his leg in an un-natural way so as to catch Dunk with his boot.

I'm surprised more people didn't see this and disappointed that it was not on replays because his intent was quite obvious and so stupid to do it infront of lino.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's on Seagulls Player, he clearly doesn't kick him, but it was close enough to make the linesman think he'd kicked him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here