Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beats By Dr Dre In-Ear Headphones

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Put me in the Luddite camp, firstly 40 quid tops for travelling headphones, because I would lose or break them, secondly what would I want with a celebrity endorsement from Dr Dre ? It would be like going and buying a Norwich bobble hat, for the nice bright colours. Ask yourself in a couple of years time how much these will be selling for on Ebuyer ?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I don't get it. Unless you're listening to CD's or better still vinyl, the quality of the sound recording on an iPod or mp3 would not possibly justify buying really expensive ear pieces. I bought a pair of in-ear, earphones from a petrol station in Crawley the other day and they do a very fine job of delivering mp3 quality sound recordings with almost all ambient noise eliminated. They even have a phone mic and a little switch to turn your iTunes on and off. Price? £2.99. Cue howls of derision.......

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The headphones supplied with the iPhone really are utterly shocking. I had some Etymotic headphones but I returned them twice in the space of 3 weeks for breaking and now I've just given up on them. Unbelievable sound quality though.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't get it. Unless you're listening to CD's or better still vinyl, the quality of the sound recording on an iPod or mp3 would not possibly justify buying really expensive ear pieces. I bought a pair of in-ear, earphones from a petrol station in Crawley the other day and they do a very fine job of delivering mp3 quality sound recordings with almost all ambient noise eliminated. They even have a phone mic and a little switch to turn your iTunes on and off. Price? £2.99. Cue howls of derision.......

Doesn't that rather depend on how you are ripping your CD's?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sorry mate but never ever needed to buy a battery as well ?

The battery is for the NoiseGuard bit, The NoiseGard technology developed by Sennheiser is used in many cockpits all over the world. It is based on the principle that unwanted low-frequency noise can be eliminated by adding phase-inverted anti-noise. Fot this, small microphones (usually in the ear cups) pick up the ambient noise. The NoiseGard electronics then generate an identical signal – but phase-inverted by 180°. Thus the two noise signal waves cancel each other out to a very large extend, and music can be enjoyed to the full.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

That might have been the case to a true audiophile some years ago, but companies like B&W etc have now produced kit that works wonders with well coded MP3s/WMA/Ogg. Kit like iThings, Sony Walkman, Blackberrys, and even the better brands of Android phones, have had a lot of work put into them to give a much better sound than early models. And anyone can tell the difference between £2.99 in-ears compared with a decent quality pair, it's immense.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can we then accurately state that you should add at least £30-40 to the cost of an Apple Music Device ?

.. if you don't want to annoy the hell out of everyone else on the tube ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Can we then accurately state that you should add at least £30-40 to the cost of an Apple Music Device ?

.. if you don't want to annoy the hell out of everyone else on the tube ?

Can if you want, as with all mp3 players. I think some of the Sony ones have (had) noise cancelling technology built into the units. Generally accepted wisdom is that the bundled 'phones with most mp3 players are poor, and can be replaced with vastly superior ones.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
AKG had some in ear ones for £1500.00 on their official website when I last looked. Some kind of mistake surely.

Reference kit is always mega bucks, Probably more suited to a music professional than for riding on the rattler to London Bridge

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
That might have been the case to a true audiophile some years ago, but companies like B&W etc have now produced kit that works wonders with well coded MP3s/WMA/Ogg. Kit like iThings, Sony Walkman, Blackberrys, and even the better brands of Android phones, have had a lot of work put into them to give a much better sound than early models. And anyone can tell the difference between £2.99 in-ears compared with a decent quality pair, it's immense.
Well, if you're right then I guess I'm not very discerning. Either that or my ears are shot, actually, it could be that.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Personally. I still have my 7 quid head candys I brought from HMV 1 year ago with no loss of sound and the quality hasn't gone either.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Still seems WAY too much! AKG are superb in my opinion. K450 are excellent. Not in ear though.

Thats the thing though, this is reference kit, it's like the £20k Hasselblad digital camera, a Saville row £5000 suit, the £300k supercar, the £2k Vertu mobile phone, the Holland and Holland shotgun, way more expensive than the regular stuff, and bought by the select few who can afford them, and perhaps also appreciate the quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here