Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC1 - Immigration - now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just watching Coast as recorded it, the immigration program was interesting but they could perhaps have picked less stereo-typed English people as they all seemed to have a huge chip on their shoulder.

As stated the majority of great Cities are cosmopolitan with a wide range of people from around the globe attracted to work there.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Apparently 8 million people in England born outside of UK, 1 in 3 in London are immigrants. I am very unsure of the accuracy of these figures, and maybe I am quoting out of context, but if correct? JEEZ!

Well, our eldest daughter is one of those born outside the UK (in France...we lived there for 18 months in the early nineties). I'm not sure what the likes of UKIP propose for her. Or us. I guess the logical extension is that we stop all free movement, both within the EU and beyond. That should solve things for the far right, but pretty much everyone will be worse off as a result.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, our eldest daughter is one of those born outside the UK (in France...we lived there for 18 months in the early nineties). I'm not sure what the likes of UKIP propose for her. Or us. I guess the logical extension is that we stop all free movement, both within the EU and beyond. That should solve things for the far right, but pretty much everyone will be worse off as a result.

My son was conceived in Taiwan but born here. I fear he may be a borderline case, especially given the Made In Taiwan tattoo on his arse*.

*Disclaimer. This is a joke. It really says We Hate Palace.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My original post was more a comment on the very rapidly changing face of the UK. Is it positive or negative? I really don't know.

D

Deleted member 22389

My original post was more a comment on the very rapidly changing face of the UK. Is it positive or negative? I really don't know.

The subject will always be divided. Well I'm on the side of there being too many people here. It's also more than just people coming to work here, there is cultural and religious aspects of this to take in to consideration as well. When somebody comes here from another country and puts their own culture and religion above our own, we have a problem. That's certainly not integrating in my book. I have had my experience and it doesn't work in my opinion.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Why does this spell bad news?

They are not all Islamic extremists, you know.

They are living in factories because there is no where else, the average age of leaving home has risen into the 30's. Its backing up like a log jam and is unsustainable. This aint going to end well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They are living in factories because there is no where else, the average age of leaving home has risen into the 30's. Its backing up like a log jam and is unsustainable. This aint going to end well.

I think Germany has an average age of 42 fot a first time buyer. People in this country are too keen to move out. It promotes a rental market.

We're not short on properties. We treat them as an investement as opposed to a home.

D

Deleted member 22389

The global downturn along with uncontrolled migration from outside the EU and open borders with the EU, eventually will result with too many people being here and not enough to go around.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think Germany has an average age of 42 fot a first time buyer. People in this country are too keen to move out. It promotes a rental market.

We're not short on properties. We treat them as an investement as opposed to a home.

Your confused. We are short on properties thats why they are seen as an investment. If they were ten a penny do you think investers would be interested?

I dont care if you are so rightwing that anyone with tanned skin causes fits of rage or so leftwing that your self hatred wills the destruction of the UK at any price to me its all about numbers.

The 3 that matter are,

1. NET Immigration
2. Population density
3. Issues of capacity.

You know in movies where the doctor shakes his head and gives the patient the bad news in melodramatic tones that he does not have long to live? Yea well guess what? I'm shaking my head atm.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The subject will always be divided. Well I'm on the side of there being too many people here. It's also more than just people coming to work here, there is cultural and religious aspects of this to take in to consideration as well. When somebody comes here from another country and puts their own culture and religion above our own, we have a problem. That's certainly not integrating in my book. I have had my experience and it doesn't work in my opinion.

I embrace your point, although soberly point out that this is no less what we have done, and are still doing, in those very countries.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your confused. We are short on properties thats why they are seen as an investment. If they were ten a penny do you think investers would be interested?

I dont care if you are so rightwing that anyone with tanned skin causes fits of rage or so leftwing that your self hatred wills the destruction of the UK at any price to me its all about numbers.

The 3 that matter are,

1. NET Immigration
2. Population density
3. Issues of capacity.

You know in movies where the doctor shakes his head and gives the patient the bad news in melodramatic tones that he does not have long to live? Yea well guess what? I'm shaking my head atm.

Try explaining this to people, your wasting your time. Until it effects people on a personal level, they will not see any problems. 800 new homes are needed in Newhaven, however if you look at the state of manufacturing it hasn't changed in 10 years, and yet we have more people than ever down here. The 800 homes promise so much, be we all know deep down it will do absolutely nothing apart from creating even more of an impact on our services in the long run.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
When you can walk down a street in the UK and feel intimidated and that you don't belong. When you can enter a shopping centre and not hear your native language. When you are frightened to be white and native, you know that something is not right within your country.
This is not racism,it is realism.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
There is nothing wrong in immigration....it is good to learn about other cultures. I have lived with many different nationalties....but...it is alright saying that other nations get the same amount of immigrants...but look at the size of Canada,USA,Aussie,compared to the land we have to divide up..yes we can learn but we can only take so many...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When you can walk down a street in the UK and feel intimidated and that you don't belong. When you can enter a shopping centre and not hear your native language. When you are frightened to be white and native, you know that something is not right within your country.
This is not racism,it is realism.

What if you are black and native, though ? What is you are Asian and native ? Weaved in to an anglo-saxon tapestry.

I'm not suggesting that such a scenario as you describe is never made real, but I have sat in many an underground train and not heard the English language spoken. It is not something that has caused me to feel fearful, fascinated yes, not fearful.

I've always described fear as coming from two sources, indoctrination and experience. I would suggest that, in the way you describe, it is mostly the former.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I embrace your point, although soberly point out that this is no less what we have done, and are still doing, in those very countries.

Ah yes. But when WE did it we brought a legal system and a first rate civil service because we were CONQUERERS not dirt poor migrants with a penchant for stoning people and making women anonymous black robed clones.

The British empire as a force for decency and commerce. Discuss.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ah yes. But when WE did it we brought a legal system and a first rate civil service because we were CONQUERERS not dirt poor migrants with a penchant for stoning people and making women anonymous black robed clones.

The British empire as a force for decency and commerce. Discuss.

That is a question that only those who lived under its rule will be able to assess properly. Of those I have asked the question to, the answer runs down a clear class divide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here